Your Wedding Dress & Bouquet

Discussion in 'Veterans' started by Helen, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Helen

Helen

Hello to all of you been there and done that ladies!

I was just wondering what you were doing with your dresses after the big day? Are you keeping them, selling them, giving them away, having them altered or dyed to wear again etc etc? Just curious! :D

Also what did you do with your bouquet? Did you give it to a freind or relative, get it preserved or admire it until it wilted? I was thinking of taking some of our wedding flowers to my mils grave thought it would be a nice thing for my oh to do. :D

Helen, Oct 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

Frogbitch

I hung my bouquet in a cupboard to dry out the day after the wedding, but when I got back from honeymoon it was only fit for the bin :D
    Most of the ceremony flowers were taken home by friends and family, but the two huge displays had to be left as they wouldn't fit in anyone's car.

As for my dress, I was thinking of having the skirt taken off so that I can wear the bodice on it's own. The shop I got it from have offered to do it, but I'm completely broke (and a bit heavier!), so I guess that will have to wait.

Thanks for starting this thread Helen. I think us veterans have lots still to share, and I don't feel so sad for hanging around!

Frogbitch, Oct 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

Helen

Hehe don't be silly it's not sad to hang around and offer your wedded wisdom to we-yet-to-be-wed :D :D

Helen, Oct 20, 2010
  4. Helen

ilovepink1984

I plan to keep my dress - don't cre I wil never wear it again, I'm in love with it!! I've heard some peoeple get there's made into christening gowns to pass down as an heirloom - but my 2 have already been christened in my old gown!!

As for my bouquet - between us we only have 1 living grandparent. My Grandad died when I was just 6 months old and his wife is our only surving grandparent. She means the world to me and my Grandad called me Sophie Sunshine (I'm still called this today!) as I brought some life back to him and I was the only grandchild he ever met. I am having Freesias in my bouquet which were his favourite and instead of throwing my bouquet I'm going to present it to my Grandma. I am going to ask her to dry some of the flowers for me and then she can keep the rest - altho I have a feeling it will go on my Grandads grave :D. My other beloved Grandad sadly died just over a year ago and this is the first wedding of his grandchildren he hasn't been at. We are all struggling with that this week and we will be emotional on the day but my sister (BM) is going to go and put her bouquet on his grave - he's buried with my Grandma who died before either of us was born. My h2b and SIL 9other BM) never knew any of their grandparents so aren't so emotional over it as me. We haven't got any other flowers so none are going to waste!

ilovepink1984, Oct 20, 2010
  5. Helen

MrsBrown

Oh I love pink.. I could cry but how wonderful that story is to make us remember. I felt quite sad on my day becuase neither me or oh have any grandparents and I would have loved them to be there!
    My mum took flowers from the tables to my grandparents graves but OH grandparents are all buried in Ireland so we couldnt.

Anyway my dress has gone in for cleaning and to be boxed, they said they maybe unable to get the stains out, it was very dirty from all the dancing on the stone floors. But I will keep it, Im not going to wear it again but having it boxed will help me store it.

I tried to dry my bouquet like frog bitch but it didnt work, i also treid to press a few flowers but it didnt turn out. I ahve told Hubbie he needs to buy me flowers from the same florist for our wedding anniversary I so can enjoy them haha!

MrsBrown, Oct 20, 2010
  6. Helen

Becky

I definitely won't get rid of my dress, and when I'm being really girly and daft I dream about keeping it on a manekin in my dressing room (that we don't have yet, in the house we don't own)!! :) *sigh*

My best friend can't come to my wedding as she is bridesmaid for someone else on the same day, so we're going to have a dinner party after the wedding where we both wear our dresses (she got married 2 years ago) - what a great excuse! :D

Becky, Oct 20, 2010
    SeptemberBride likes this.
  7. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

im planning on keeping my dress forever i love it so much.

as for my bouquet i am going to travel to my dads grave, since he wont be there to give me away i wanted to make him apart of the memory of the day somehow. The other flowers are going to be put on my Nan and granddad's grave both had a huge influence in my life. we are getting a Hydrangea bush so i can put a bunch on the graves every year.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Oct 20, 2010
  8. Helen

Frogbitch

I wish I'd known about this!

http://www.preciouspetals.co.uk/

Frogbitch, Jan 30, 2011
  9. Helen

Helen

That is quite expensive. I like the paperweight idea I've not seen that done before. What would you do with one of those cubes though? It would take up loads of space. I wonder how quickly the colours fade?

Helen, Feb 4, 2011
  10. Helen

Helen

In the end I had a fabric flower bouquet and I have put that in a vase in our sitting room.

The flower jugs from our tables travelled across the country and will hopefully still be ok for my parents ruby wedding at the weekend.

The jam jar flowers I have in my house, apart from a few that we took to my husbands grandparents graves (all 4 of them) and his mums grave.

My mum was going to take a jug of flowers to my granny and nanna.

The jugs are mine so it wasn't a problem keeping them. I've already had two people ask to borrow them for their weddings :)

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  11. Helen

Anon_SA

I completely forgot about my bouquet after the meal as it was placed by the cake - so that was a non starter!

I'm keeping my dress - at the moment it is being stored at Richard's parents house as I don't have space! I haven't even got it cleaned yet - Richard's dad says I shouldn't get it cleaned, as in its current state - it has all of the wedding day on it. Cleaning it renders its experience null and void apparently! It's also a little broken. Apparently the sign of a good wedding.

Anon_SA, Jul 6, 2011
  12. Helen

Zoe

As my bouquet was made of artificial calla lillies, I have bought a long stemmed vase to put them in and they are are currently on a table in my hallway along with other wedding memorabillia.

I have just taken my dress to get dry cleaned this morning - bargain at £65.00. I wasn't going to bother getting it cleaned as it has all the wonderful stains of a day to remember, however, my step dad (who had just completed chemotherapy before the wedding) doesn't like the way he looks in the pics. He feels (and looks) heaps better now so we are arranging a day in August where close family can 'dress up' again for some more piccies. I'm really looking forward to an excuse to wear my dress and accessories again. Just need to lose the weight I've put on since the wedding to fit back into my dress!!!!

Zoe, Jul 7, 2011
  13. Helen

Helen

Did you do this Becky?

Just thought I would update this, I have got my bouquet next to my husbands favourite wedding photo on the bookcase in the sitting room. My dress however! I still haven't put it through the wash, really must do it as someone spilled a blue cocktail down it...!

Helen, Feb 3, 2012
  14. Helen

Anon_SA

As an update, my dress is now cleaned and boxed! I want to get it out on occasion... but I'd never get it back in... I'd love to put it on a mannequin in a dress room in a big house that I don't have!

Anon_SA, Feb 4, 2012
  15. Helen

MrsBrown

Someone asked if they could wear my dress to a charity ball! Like the idea and it is for charity but it's boxed and tidy and not being borrowed by anyone! We were sorting out the spare room last week and I found all my keep sakes.. Was lovely to look through them all :)

MrsBrown, Feb 4, 2012
  16. Helen

Helen

I need to have a proper sort out of all the keepsakes and decide how best to store them. May get a large(!) box as I don't have enough of those already cluttering the place up! :rolleyes:

Helen, Feb 4, 2012
  17. Helen

MrsMay2011

Amazingly my bouquet survived being brought back from NY in my mum's suitcase!! and she hung it upside down in a spare room at hers and we both forgot about it for months! It's dried quite well and is now on the bookshelves in our re-decorated sitting room with teapots and other wedding related knick-knacks. Oh and some books.

My dress is still not cleaned!! It looks alright from the outside actually, it's only when the petticoats are investigated you see that they're black! It's spent about 6 months on the back of the door in the spare room, but my MIL moved it to the curtain rail in the other spare room at xmas (as we had guests staying) and it's too high up to reach for me to get it down!! I keep meaning to take the step or ladder up there to retrieve but never do.
    I actually like the way the light shines through it, even with the blinds closed. It looks so pretty hanging there and I can see it when I come up the stairs if the bedroom door is open. I know the sunlight will dis-colour the fabric at the back, but part of me thinks is that the end of the world? Given the alternatives are to have it hanging in a room where it won't be seen at all, or put in a box?

MrsMay2011, Feb 5, 2012
  18. Helen

Becky

Nope, still not done it yet! To be fair, she has had a baby and has only recently finished breast feeding... maybe sometime this year!

I've not cleaned my dress yet, I might be having another 'fash the dress' shoot (as we had to halt the first due to bad weather!) so I'm waiting to get that done before I get it cleaned and boxed.

Becky, Feb 6, 2012
  19. Helen

Helen

I went to wash my dress at the weekend... I must be going mad though as it looks like I've already done it as couldn't see the blue cocktail stain anywhere! Haha oh well at least it means it must have washed out. Strange I have no memory of doing it!!!

Helen, Feb 16, 2012
  20. Helen

Helen

If you will get more pleasure looking at it and keeping it I agree does it really matter if a bit of it fades? Are you intending to wear it again? Enjoy it and look at it! :D

Helen, Feb 16, 2012
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question