Yet Another Wedding Date Change

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by poppleminster, Dec 9, 2010.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

I'm a miserable cow as I now have no wedding date. Having gone from being over 2 years away we decided to bring it forward as his nan is elderly and we were worried she'd be too ill to come. The venue and reception hall are fine but the registrar is fully booked. For the whole of June, July and August! I am gutted. It has to be a saturday as we have lots of teachers coming so I can't even do a week slot. Now I have no wedding date. UGH. :)

poppleminster, Dec 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Sorry to hear that, not much else I can say sorry, is May too soon or even September?

MrsBrown, Dec 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

poppleminster

Possibly september but then have a problem with the refurbishment of the reception venue due to take place. May leaves us no money for everything we want or a weekend honeymoon. So stressed with it now. Feels like it'll never happen. Ugh. Will be worth it in the end. :)

4. poppleminster

Helen

I know it is not quite the same but could you wait a little later in the year for your honeymoon? That way you could try and get married in May and maybe honeymoon later in the summer when you have saved up? (Or maybe your guests will have given you honeymoon cash?!)

It will be ok in the end :)

Helen, Dec 9, 2010
  5. poppleminster

poppleminster

Our honeymoon was spending the weekend in the castle we are getting married in. I guess we could just not have one. I'm being really selfish as it really shouldn't matter when we do it. Grrrr.

6. poppleminster

MrsLetts2Be

What are you doing for a pressie list, could you ask that instead of wedding pressies as such people make a donation to your honeymoon?
    We did this and people have been fab about it, i sent out a poem with my invites and people have been lovely.

We’ve been together quite a while with all our pots and pans
    and as we dont need homely gifts we have another plan
    we know its not traditional and not the way its done
    but rather than a wedding list, we would love a bit of sun
    So if you would like to give a gift and send us on our way
    a donation to our honeymoon would really make our day.

Thank you All our Love Tony and Emma

Xxxx

MrsLetts2Be, Dec 10, 2010
  7. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

we are going to ask for money instead of gifts simply because we so much stuff already and once we have another baby there is going to be very little room for six toasters

MrsBoucher2B2012, Dec 10, 2010
  8. poppleminster

Becky

Oh my goodness, you seem to encounter one obstacle after another don't you!

I like the wedding list idea, and May is an excellent time of year to get married :)

Really hope it works out for you! xxx

Becky, Dec 10, 2010
  9. poppleminster

Debbied

I know it's not exactly the same, but there is a solution to your problem. You could have a small wedding on a weekday and then have a wedding blessing at the venue on a Saturday of your choice. The blessing could be performed by someone you know or you can hire someone to perform it. I've arranged this for some of my brides in the past and two of them have had the blessing done in a way that the guests thought it was actually the marriage ceremony!

Debbied, Dec 16, 2010
  10. poppleminster

poppleminster

Clever idea! Our best man is a teacher so has to be a weekend but we'll find one.

We've decided that for our honeymoon we want to go to London so are considering the idea of making a wedding list of London places we'd like to visit and they can buy our entry. Not sure if this is a good idea yet but seems good so far.

poppleminster, Dec 16, 2010
  11. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

That sounds like a brilliant idea for a guest list, I love that!

MrsC2Be, Dec 16, 2010
  12. poppleminster

poppleminster

Yeah, I thought maybe entry tickets / show tickets as there is so much to do in London that we never get the chance to do normally. Restaurant vouichers maybe an idea too. Or a nice Selfridges gift card and afternoon tea in Fortnum & Mason (which would cost more than the wedding itself I suspect).

poppleminster, Dec 16, 2010
  13. poppleminster

MrsMay2011

The London Experiences gift list idea sounds brilliant -stroke of genius!
    Yay! Have it in May with me :) !!! x

MrsMay2011, Dec 17, 2010
  14. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

that is a great idea popple

MrsBoucher2B2012, Dec 18, 2010
  15. poppleminster

Becky

I agree - great idea! :)

Becky, Dec 19, 2010
  16. poppleminster

FlowerCo

Ah Popple,

so sorry to hear you are having problems! and I agree what a great idea for a gift list!
    just to add my 2 pence, your flowers will be less expesive in May than in Sept! ( assuming you are having them of course!)

Take care and Happy New Year

Zoe x

FlowerCo, Jan 1, 2011
  17. poppleminster

poppleminster

Thanks Zoe! I might pester you for ideas nearer the time as I am going to have to do them myself. Try not to laugh too much! I have some old glass bottles for putting single stems or a few flowers in for the tables and three large kettle teapots and an old metal watering can for the others. I'm not having any at the wedding ceremony as the tower is so gorgeous anyway that it really doesn't need them. By getting married a year early, I have less than half my original budget so approx £750 left to pay for flowers, registrar, food, bridesmaids bits, underwear and haircut. GULP. Thank goodness I bought so many things so early! I have all my room decor, dress, shoes and venue itself paid for. I am so gutted that i'll have to cut out so much but never mind. I really had not anticipated just how exspensive the wedding would end up being. Our ceremony venue blew the budget completely as it's £750 plus the hall brings that alone to £1000. Bargain for what we are getting but still a huge amount to us.

All those times I sat thinking that I was nuts to be making my invites etc so far in advance... good job I did! I still have no date yet. Stupid government ban on public sector recruitment. We need a registrar and they still haven't got a replacement.

poppleminster, Jan 1, 2011
  18. poppleminster

FlowerCo

Hi Popple,

Please do, and I think it is great you are doing them, I will give you as much guidance as I can. your theme sounds lovely, and will be realatively straightforward for you to do yourself so why not!

Here is a watering can for you IMG_4202.JPG

Take care

Zoe x

FlowerCo, Jan 1, 2011
  19. poppleminster

poppleminster

oooooh that looks awesome and has cheered me up lots as I was wondering what to do with it! I have some WW2 signs so may use them as a backdrop to my food - they are Grow Well, Eat Well and Make do and Mend. With a table in front and the can on with a sign saying thank you and it could be my cardbox table :D

I'm going to use one of the kettle teapots next to my Time for Tea sign and have a friend dressing up in a genuine 40's jumpsuit and hanky headscarf to serve it for me. We have an awesome vintage clothing shop in Exeter and there are the most beautiful dresses from that era in there. Sadly none big enough for me but it's brilliant for accessories.

I can do this on a small budget. It might just kill me but I can do it LOL

xxxx

poppleminster, Jan 2, 2011
  20. poppleminster

Helen

That's the spirit popple :D

I'm filling milk churns and jugs with flowers in that watering can sort of style... Well that's the idea anyhow! Will do a trial run much closer to the time and see how it goes. :D

Helen, Jan 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question