Yankee Candle Favours...

Discussion in 'DIY Wedding' started by lauriex, Jun 25, 2011.

1. lauriex

lauriex

..I've been having a nosey about online at various weird and wonderful favours, but for the women, I keep coming back to Yankee candles..The plan is to buy the candles, the glass holders and some cerise organza and ribbon to wrap them all up nicely - all done by me of course!

One small problem....I really do not like the smell of yankee's wedding day candle :)

has anyone smelt that particular candle or had yankee candles as favours?

lauriex, Jun 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. lauriex

Zoe

My best friend had the wedding Yankee candle. I've got to say, we didn't get much of a smell from it though (perhaps it was because we had the window open and the room was huge). I've got the pink sands one in my living room - gorgeous smell.

I used tealights in boxes as my favours - very cheap option for me.
    chair n tux.jpg Candle favours.jpg

Zoe, Jun 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. lauriex

Frogbitch

I think they're a lovely idea, but I'm glad you mentioned ribbon as I think, as candles go, they're not terribly attractive, even if they do smell lovely.
    I was given some Linley scented candles as a wedding present and they smell sogorgeous I can't bring myself to light them.

Frogbitch, Jun 25, 2011
  4. lauriex

MrsMay2011

I had to google Yankee Candles as I didn't know what they were, finger clearly NOT on the pulse! But when I did, I found they appear to be having a 50% off sale Here.

MrsMay2011, Jun 25, 2011
  5. lauriex

Helen

I would choose the one you like the smell of best, and not bother with the wedding day one (I agree that one isn't that nice). We are having a few candles about the room, they are apple scented and were from home bargains I think.

Helen, Jun 25, 2011
  6. lauriex

lauriex

Yeh, the plan is to wrap them in the theme coloured organza (make like a little pouch from the organza) and tie it all up with matching ribbon. I love being all creative with things like that so I know that I'll be kept amused making them all up!
    I have candles that I don't want to light too...so you're not alone there!! lol xx

lauriex, Jun 25, 2011
  7. lauriex

lauriex

lauriex, Jun 25, 2011
  8. lauriex

lauriex

Your little favours look fabulous!! I have to think of cost too.

The wrapping for my candles will be organza that is the same as the theme colour we've chosen and matching ribbon, luckily there is a craft shop in Belfast that sells it off a huge roll. I'll be wrapping them all myself - I love all that sort of stuff! Im a bit of a nerd that way lol :)

lauriex, Jun 25, 2011
  9. lauriex

MrsBoucher2B2012

i love candles the wedding one isnt my favourite either but you could always choose a nicer smelling one, we are having candle all over the church since we are not having flowers. Love that you are going to be doing a bit of DIY i think it makes the day more special with the little personal touches

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 26, 2011
  10. lauriex

lauriex

I love the idea of making little bits n bobs up myself, I will probably put together my own table centre pieces too... For the invites, I have designed them on the laptop. We'll have them printed professionally then I'm going to get my creative head on and make them look that extra bit special with cerise organza ribbon.

With the invites, we'd like to go the whole hog and include RSVP cards and SAEs for guests to give us a prompt reply. I remember when my mum and dad got married a couple of years back, she was making endless phone calls to people she'd sent invites to that hadn't got back to her in time. She had a right nightmare! :) I don't particularly relish the thought of having to make calls to people to find out if they're attending or not - chasing people gives me the right hump! lolol

lauriex, Jun 27, 2011
  11. lauriex

weddingdayz

I think the Yankee candles sounds a great idea, but I'm with the others, don't feel obliged to go with the 'wedding' one - one which you both choose as a favourite is much more apt. I'm quite a creative soul too, and looking forward to getting stuck in to designing invites / centrepieces - anything to save some money as we have over 100 daytime guests and an additional 100 in the evening - I have such a big family - so things like catering and alcohol are already costing us a small fortune.

On the favour note though ... does anyone know whether you're meant to give favours to the men?? I've found the perfect solution for our female guests - I really wanted something which tied in with our wedding but that would also suit our guests. I wanted something a bit different and was looking on eBay for inspiration when I came across personalised wine glass charms - those would suit my friends down to the ground as they're into their wine haha! The only thing is that most aren't packaged, but then I searched for 'personalised packaged wine glass charm' and there are really great one's in individual little cellophane bags which you can personalise with your own colour scheme and text descriptor for the packaging - they arrived the other day and they're fab! (And worked out only about £1 per favour which when you need about 60 is a good thing! Anyway, enough rambling and back to th male favour question ... can anyone help? Thanks guys :)

weddingdayz, Jul 25, 2011
  12. lauriex

poppleminster

Several of us on here have made our own wine glass charms. If you've not already got them then it's much cheaper to make your own and you can tailor the beads to suit what you like. They are really easy to make too so save yourself the money and i'll send you some links to bead sites if you like :) for men some people bother and some don't. I'm doing the same for both. A current popular theme seems to be nostalgic sweets. Welcome to the forum xxx

poppleminster, Jul 25, 2011
  13. lauriex

poppleminster

Sorry just read you've already got the charms. The little bags cost next to nothing so if you need more just yell as i'm sure I have some here.

14. lauriex

lauriex

Yeh, you're right. There are some lovely yankee candles. I love one thats called coconut bay - unfortunately they have discontinued it!! It always happens to your favourite - typical!!!
    I was in the yankee shop a few days ago smelling a few candles. My fiancé came along too, he didn't like the smell of the wedding day candle either. In his words, 'it smelt like cheap perfume.' Nice lol!!

lauriex, Jul 25, 2011
  15. lauriex

poppleminster

It's funny how they designed a candle that nobody likes then call it 'wedding day' . I bet whoever designed it was divorced!

16. lauriex

weddingdayz

Thanks Poppleminster, think my own efforts at designing and making charms might have been abit poor but will bear in mind for more creative souls in future ;) I'll need to consider the men, want to get something but need to bear in mind budget (already costing us £6000 just to feed and water everyone :) so need to cut costs elsewhere) x

weddingdayz, Jul 26, 2011
  17. lauriex

poppleminster

I'll get my thinking cap on for inexpensive but interesting things. ;)

poppleminster, Jul 26, 2011
  18. lauriex

weddingdayz

Thanks muchly :) x

weddingdayz, Aug 1, 2011
  19. lauriex

nicola00

Poppleminster

would you mind giving me the links for the wine charm bits

Many Thanks

nicola00, Aug 5, 2011
  20. lauriex

lauriex

lolol!!! Its bloody awful....Not the kind of smell that puts me in mind of weddings!!

lauriex, Aug 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question