Would You Propose To Him?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Helen, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Helen

Helen

So as Becky mentioned in another post this year is a leap year and that means tradition for women to do the proposing. :eek:

Did you propose to your man?

Would you or do you think that they should be the one to do it?

Thoughts please! :)

Helen, Feb 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

Becky

Personally I think men should do it, but then I'm a bit of a traditionalist!

Although saying that, before Ian popped the question we had been together for 5-6 years and had been talking about getting married a lot. Early on I think we were both hesitant about rushing in to marriage, but when we reached the point when we were both ready I did threaten to propose if he didn't by the end of the year!! :lol:

Becky, Feb 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

iPrincess26

I'm like Becky and a bit of a traditionalist, me & OH talked about this the other night while watching DTTB The Proposals and he said he would've hated it if I had proposed to him and although it shouldn't make a difference it wouldn't have felt right and he would feel like he missed out.

Def glad that I waited for him to do it, was a year last tuesday (Valentines day) since he proposed, and I couldn't have imagined a better proposal to the one I got!

iPrincess26, Feb 17, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  4. Helen

MrsC2Be

oooh I don't think I would, Id probably be all giggly and rubbish about it. Think Neil would have been put out if Id beaten him to it!

speaking of proposals, Neils best man is now engaged after 11 years with his girlfriend :-D took his time....

MrsC2Be, Feb 17, 2012
  5. Helen

MrsBrown

App If a woman proposes to a man and he refuses he has to buy her silk globes or a new dress.

http://blog.theheartbandits.com/leap-year-tradition-women-proposing-to-men/

On the last leap year I heard this and jokingly said to Simon would he marry me so I could get a new dress.. I am still waiting!! We weren't even going out then... Omg I have been married for 18 months but 4 years ago we were just friends!!!

MrsBrown, Feb 17, 2012
  6. Helen

Helen

I only met my husband in 2008 :eek: We were talking about this on Valentines Day when we worked out it was only our fourth together.

If you do the proposing do you have to get him an engagement ring instead of you??

Helen, Feb 17, 2012
  7. Helen

MrsBrown

Oh dunno! I wouldn't have liked that! Only just get hubbie to wear his we'd ring so he wouldn't have worn an engagement one.

We talked about it so it wasn't exactly a surprise though 10am at top of garden was a bit of a shock!!!!!
    this is our 4 th valentines day too, though we have only been together just over 3 years. We got together just before valentines day.

MrsBrown, Feb 17, 2012
  8. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

Snap Helen i have only been with Gareth since 2008.

I dont know if i would propose i prefer the man to do it. Though Gareth does have an engagement ring, we figured that since we were going to be engaged for a while before the wedding it was only fair he got one as well.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Feb 17, 2012
  9. Helen

Helen

My husband doesn't have a wedding ring so he wouldn't have wanted an engagement ring either.

One of my friends has been engaged for several years (and the wedding won't be for a few more) and so she and her man decided they would both have engagement rings. She is the only person I know who has done this (apart from Dani now!)

We met in April I believe so nearly 4 years now!

Helen, Feb 18, 2012
  10. Helen

hpsauce84

I wouldn't have had the guts to propose to him - even though we had been together 5 and a half years by the time he got round to it! :p

hpsauce84, Feb 18, 2012
  11. Helen

Sarsaparilla

Yeah I would've done, I'm not very traditional, or romantic tbh, haha

I don't see why it's up to the man to decide when a couple get married, I'd have asked if it had been a big deal for me

Sarsaparilla, Mar 18, 2012
  12. Helen

winter ash

I proposed to mine
    After knocking him back 3 times if not more :)

winter ash, Apr 18, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  13. Helen

Becky

What were his proposals like? I'm glad you took things into your own hands when you felt ready! :)

Becky, Apr 19, 2012
  14. Helen

winter ash

1st - we went down on one knee in a restaurant - i told him to get up he was embarrassing me :)
    2nd - in the kitchen whilst i was teaching him to cook a proper curry
    3rd - "are you going to marry me or not if not you know where the door is" lol - I walked out dint come home for 2 days :)

then he rang and said he was sorry, and that he would never ask me again! and he never did

Till i did :)

winter ash, Apr 19, 2012
    NettieP83 likes this.
  15. Helen

TracyNteal

i proposed to my man , on his birthday and it wasnt even a leap year ..... i did it cause i just the time was rite for me lol

TracyNteal, Jul 16, 2012
  16. Helen

Becky

Excellent! :) What has his reaction?

Becky, Jul 16, 2012
  17. Helen

Alicia_Leoni

I was very close in proposing to him! I have been thinking about it for a while. But then he popped the question last week.. So phew no need now !

Alicia_Leoni, Jul 23, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  18. Helen

AmyStuart

OMG I'm to shy to do that. Luckily, I didn't have to but really admire the ones who did!!! :D

AmyStuart, Jul 29, 2013
  19. Helen

TungstenAffinity

I think it would depend on how our relationship stood. If my man was the quiet, shy type than I may consider it (unless I knew that he would be offended!). If he was, on the other hand, the more outgoing and assertive type, then I’d keep the ball in his court. In my current relationship, I’d actually be more apt to be the asker! We’d have to discuss it of course, but in general, that’s how I’d like to think it would go.

TungstenAffinity, Oct 9, 2013
  20. Helen

katrina89

i wouldnt't, IMO its guy thing to propose

katrina89, Oct 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question