Witnesses

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by ilovepink1984, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Just wondering who people had to witness them signing the register or who you are planning on having?

We still haven't decided with 2 days left - just don't know who's best!

ilovepink1984, Oct 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. ilovepink1984

Helen

When we were first thinking about this we decided we would choose one person each.

Oh was going to have one of his best men and I hadn't decided!

Now we are getting married in Canada we don't yet know who we are having as we don't know if any friends or family are coming. If they aren't we will have the photographer and the girl in Canada who is sorting all the paperwork out for us.

If they come I think oh will still choose one of his best men and I will ask my sister. Sorry seem to have rambled on a bit there :D !

Helen, Oct 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. ilovepink1984

Frogbitch

I asked my Aunt, who I worshipped when I was little. I don't see her much these days, and I wasn't terribly impressed when she not only ignored the dress code and wore red, she died her hair red too!

Russ asked his Dad, as his parents didn't have much of a role in the wedding.

Frogbitch, Oct 20, 2010
  4. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Lol - no worries!

We just can't agree on it! H2b wants one of his best friends to do it as originally he couldn't make the wedding as he's in the Navy but he's also doing a reading so don't want to go over the top! If I picked a friend I don't want it to cause grumbles as I've picked one over the other!

So I think it will probably be the chief BM and the best man or the 2 mums - but that wouldn't be very photogenic!! Wrong reasons not to pick them I know but h2bs mum always looks so grumpy - NEVER smiles in photos! Tempted to ask my Grandma as she's the only living grandparent we have left but thennot sure who h2b would pick - couldn't ask his mum without asking mine as she'd feel left out! This is becoming far too complicated - I should just decide!!

5. ilovepink1984

Helen

It is hard to choose. That is why I was thinking about asking my sister. My oh said why didn't I choose one of my friends (when we were thinking of getting married in the uk) but I really wouldn't know how to pick between them. If my parents and sister come to Canada I could ask my mum as I will get my dad to give me away and my sister will be my bridesmaid... I don't know. Might just ask my mum and sister what they want to do.

I like the idea of us each choosing a person but like you say it isn't that simple as what if one of you chooses your dad or mum and the other one chooses a friend, does the other set of parents feel left out?!?! Gosh weddings can be complicated! :D :D

I think you have to just go with what you want and try not to worry about what other people think.

Helen, Oct 20, 2010
  6. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

That's exactly it - I don't want anyone to feel left out, particularly family members. Trying to involve important people in some way but still leaves some people without a 'role'!

H2b doesn't want the BM and best man as they already have a role but I think its easier and they are both special to us - my sister and his best friend. Nightmare!
    I think parents are a no-no as his Dad would def deel put out if he was left out - my dad not so much as he's giving me away and making a speech. It's driving me mad. Have to decide by 6pm to tell the vicar!

7. ilovepink1984

Gemz2702

H2b has asked one of his closest friends. His best mate and brother are best men and 2 of my brothers are ushers and H2b wanted to make sure this friend had something important to do (he's dyslexic so can't do a reading) so he is one of them. He was really pleased to have been asked. I get to decide on the other one, but I'm going to leave it until nearer the time x

Gemz2702, Oct 20, 2010
  8. ilovepink1984

MrsC2Be

I've asked my best friend (he's actually my ex too, people find this strange!) I want him involved somehow, as obviously he can't be a BM coz he's a boy! And he wouldn't be comfortable doing a reading because he's dyslexic.

Neil will probably pick the other. I've tried to avoided picking people to do stuff if it will then mean someone else will be left out.

MrsC2Be, Oct 20, 2010
  9. ilovepink1984

MrsBrown

We talked about this too, and in the end to save arguements or offending people we decided to stick with best man and MOH.

MrsBrown, Oct 20, 2010
  10. ilovepink1984

juliak

We chose the mothers and got them corsages which showed in the pics! Was worried about upsetting my dad as my son gave me away but after the way my dad was with me on our wedding day I was glad I didn't get him more involved...sounds harsh but he was an asshole on the day! This wasn't at all helpful to you, I know, but just go with who you want and who feels right with you two. xxx

juliak, Oct 20, 2010
  11. ilovepink1984

MrsLetts2Be

Do your witnesses have to be over 18?
    I have a 14 year old brother who im really struggling to find something to do.
    My older brother is giving me away!
    xx

MrsLetts2Be, Oct 21, 2010
  12. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

We still haven't decided!! Oops!!

MrsLetts - just found this quote for you:

'Witnesses may be relatives, friends or colleagues. They must be able to speak and understand English. Although there is no legal age limit to a witness, many civil ceremony attendances would prefer that the witnesses are 18 years or over. If one of your witnesses is under 18, they might ask that you provide an extra witness. '

'It is preferred if witnesses are over 16 years of age, although in law there is no age limit.'

Hope this helps x

ilovepink1984, Oct 21, 2010
  13. ilovepink1984

flo2310

Our witnesses are my mum and Andrew's dad... Not sure why we chose them - but it just seemed to make sense for us!

Any idea yet? xx

flo2310, Oct 21, 2010
  14. ilovepink1984

MrsLetts2Be

Hmmm mayeb 14 too young then!
    Im readlly struggling to find something for him to do, we've only got a ceremony of 30 people so not ebought to warrant someone seating them.
    My dad is refusing to come to my wedding so Gareth my 25 year old brother is giving me away but what to give Billy to do??

Help girls!

Sorry seem to have hijacked this thread xx

15. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

No worries! Sorry to hear your dad is refusing to come - that must be hard for you. Would he be brave enough to do a reading - or have you already sorted these? It does say legally there is no age limit so maybe you could ask your registrar/vicar - sorry can't remember if you are having a civil or religious ceremony?!

ilovepink1984, Oct 21, 2010
  16. ilovepink1984

MrsLetts2Be

im having a civil ceremony but i dont know if he'll get too flustered to do that, i was going to suggest to H2B that he could mmaybe hold the rings but thought the best man may want to do that x

17. ilovepink1984

juliak

I think asking him to hold the rings is a great solution. My son gave me away, my stepson was best man and my stepdaughter held the rings, it worked really well for us. xxx

juliak, Oct 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question