Who Shall I Have To Walk Me Down The Aisle?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Pumpkin, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

Hi ladies, my wedding is ages away but this is stressing me out.

My Dad and I aren't on bad terms or anything, but him and Mum divorced when i was 3 and we really aren't close, i probably see him every 3 months or so. I don't want him to give me away, we are more mates than father/daughter if you see what i mean?

I don't think i want to walk down by myself, so i could pick my best male friend, or my Mum or i could just walk down with my daughter who will be nearly 4.

Is anyone else in this situation?

Pumpkin, Dec 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Pumpkin

MrsLetts2Be

Myself and my dad havent spoken in years so my brother is walking me down the aisle, a friend of mine was in same situation she walked half down on her own and then her H2B met her half way and they walked the rest together, it was beautiful xxx

MrsLetts2Be, Dec 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Pumpkin

hpsauce84

I've had no contact with my Dad for nearly 5 years now so he won't even be at the wedding. My Mum will be walking me down the aisle. I love the idea of walking down the aisle with your daughter though. :D

hpsauce84, Dec 21, 2010
  4. Pumpkin

poppleminster

I'm walkling down the aisle with my daughter who will be just 5 by the time we get married. I've got a tiny family and haven't got remotely a close relationship with my father. I did think of a friend but then decided that in the long run, it's an awesome thing to have done with my little girl.

I do find it daunting that my side of the venue would be bare of family so we are not sticking to tradition and the ushers are going to get people to sit on both sides. I'm so relieved about that as it really does niggle me for some reason.

Your best friend would be a good alternative and it'd be nice to share that experience with him or her if you decided to use a female friend. Why stick to traditions all the time? :D

poppleminster, Dec 21, 2010
  5. Pumpkin

Amymel86

OMG:eek: ...that is beautiful! (the meet halfway thing!)....like something from a romatic movie!!......(don't mind me....i'm a tad emotional at the mo!)

Amymel86, Dec 21, 2010
  6. Pumpkin

MrsLetts2Be

It was beautiful, When people questioned it and asked why they did it like that they told people that each of them started the journey apart and found eachother so to start their new life together they met in the middle xx

MrsLetts2Be, Dec 21, 2010
  7. Pumpkin

Helen

That is a super idea :D

Helen, Dec 21, 2010
  8. Pumpkin

Frogbitch

I sent my parents in first, then my best friend, and I walked in last. I said all along that if I chickened out on the day then my friend would have to walk with me, but I managed it alone, even though I was a blubbering mess!
    I wanted my ex boyfriend to do it but I didn't want people to think I was upset with my Dad.
    As I'd been married before, I didn't think it would be right for my Dad to give me away twice. That's why I wanted my ex to do it, as he'd bridged the gap between my crappy first marriage and my meeting Russ.
    He ended up doing the reading instead, and did a fab job.

Frogbitch, Dec 21, 2010
  9. Pumpkin

Becky

I'm in a similar position - my parents divorced when I was 7 and my Dad hasn't been very involved. He's more like an uncle I guess. My step-dad has been great (treated me and my bro like we're his own), but we're not as close as we once were.

I'm not on bad terms with my Dad so I don't want to not have him walk me down the aisle, but at the same time I don't want to leave my step-dad out either.

They get on well, so rather than make a decision I'm going to have both :D

Sorry, not really been much help!! I think having your Mum or your daughter would be a lovely idea xxx

Becky, Dec 21, 2010
  10. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to me!

It's awkward isn't it? I am leaning towards asking my best male friend to walk me down, we are very close, and he has been there for me much more than my Dad or anyone. :D

Pumpkin, Dec 21, 2010
  11. Pumpkin

Becky

That sounds like a really good idea, and I'm sure he'd be honoured :p

Becky, Dec 22, 2010
  12. Pumpkin

MrsBoucher2B2012

My dad died when i was young, i was going to have my mum walking with me but she has a bad hip so i am having my brother walk with me i am waiting until Christmas day to ask him as we dont usually get a chance to sit down and talk, so hopefully he will say yes.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Dec 22, 2010
  13. Pumpkin

Becky

That's a really lovely idea :D xxx

Becky, Dec 24, 2010
  14. Pumpkin

Sez

I'm not very close to my dad as he's always moving from country to country and i rarely know where he is. My mum and dad split up when i was about 14. my mum wants to do the mother of the bride bit so i'll be having my step dad walk down the aisle as i'm pretty close to him, he has no kids of his own so i know this will be a huge thing for him. He's quite shy so i wont make him to a speech or anything... my mum said she might do one instead

Sez, Jan 10, 2011
  15. Pumpkin

poppleminster

Your mum doing the speech would be cool and probably make you all cry :)
    xx

poppleminster, Jan 10, 2011
  16. Pumpkin

Helen

We went to a wedding last year where the grooms dad had died the previous year and his mum and sister did speaches instead, it worked really well :) I think anything goes nowdays :lol:

Helen, Jan 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question