Who Pays What?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by bride1517, Aug 11, 2013.

1. bride1517

bride1517

hi, we are getting married and paying for our own wedding... saving hard but its getting more expensive all the time...lol...

my h2b and I want to go to an out of town hotel to marry...... some help on the planning would be great...

1. if asking guests to come and help celebrate your wedding .. who pays for their rooms....
    2.who pays for kilt hire... us or kilt wearers
    3,how long after wedding can we hold reception.... different towns for each event....

please help, its just some questions rattling about my head....

also is there a dress code for a second wedding... im going to be 50 when getting married and is it to old for a full on wedding dress or am I worrying over nothing.....

:(

bride1517, Aug 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. bride1517

Becky

Welcome to the forums, great to have you here! :)

When it comes to who pays for things, it really does depend on the situation - everyone seems to do things differently! That being said, you would usually expect guests to pay for their own rooms. Sometimes the bride and groom pay for bridesmaids / best man as a bit of a thank you for helping out, but I don't think this would be expected.

Who will you specifically ask to wear kilts? If it is just best man / fathers / ushers and they wouldn't have worn a kilt otherwise then it might be a nice idea to either pay for the hire or give them something towards it. I think people are often happy to contribute if money is tight. Maybe check what their plans are - if they were already planning on hiring a kilt then I don't see why you should pay for it, unless you want to of course.

Lastly when it comes to the dress, wear whatever you like! From seeing examples on the forum, brides getting married for the second time seem to be a bit more daring in what they will wear, so pick whatever makes you feel extremely fabulous :D Have you seen anything you like yet?

Becky, Aug 12, 2013
    bride1517 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bride1517

Helen

Welcome :)

I'll offer my opinion for you to consider :)

1. I would expect guests to pay for their own rooms.
    2. If you are asking them to wear the kilts I would say you pay for them. You can ask them to pay for it for you as a wedding gift if you wished though.
    3. We held our reception nearly 7 weeks after our wedding. My cousin got married the first week of May and her reception is next Saturday! So whenever you like is fine!
    4. Wear whatever you feel amazing in! If you wish to have a huge dress then why not, go for it :)

Helen, Aug 12, 2013
    bride1517 likes this.
  4. bride1517

bride1517

thanx guys for your helpful answers.... im hoping that everyone will be so shocked at us eventually getting married that they will contribute to helping out with costs at wedding... ( been with H2B for 22 years..lol) but ive started saving tins for each section of wedding.. photos, kilt hire, wedding reception and wedding day, I will be buying my dress and bridesmaids dresses my self, 1 @ a time...lol......

on another note... would anyone buy a wedding dress from china off ebay... whats the quality like...

bride1517, Aug 27, 2013
  5. bride1517

Helen

I have heard mixed things about the Chinese dresses, some people have been very pleased with theirs and others have been devastated.

I think it is a bit of a risk, but if you can find someone who has ordered from a specific company and been happy that would be the way I would do it. There may be someone on here who can help you with a recommendation? I'm sure I remember a bride ordering a dress from one and being happy with it.

I would definitely go to shops and try dresses on so you can get an idea of what style of dress you would like. I think every bride on here has chosen something different from what they originally wanted once they have tried styles on! There are also lots of bargains to be found in the UK, from end of range dresses to secondhand not to mention the high street range of dresses. There is a charity shop near me that has a whole room of second hand dresses at bargain prices, sadly if you are after something a bit different (ie a coloured dress like I was) they may not have what you fancy. There is also a bride here who hired her wedding dress and was very pleased with it, so maybe that is an option to consider too. Don't rule out a dressmaker either, that way you can get a custom dress and it costs less than you might think depending on what you would like.

I bought my dress from the high street, it cost under £80 and then I added a few bits and bobs like petticoats, belts, shrug etc that probably took the cost up to about £150. I've never seen another bride with the same dress, certainly not in our group of friends. We got married in 2011 and people are still asking me about my dress (there is a rumour that I made it!).

Exciting times!

Helen, Aug 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question