When To Send Invites?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Helen, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Helen

Helen

Just wondering how many people have/did/are sending save the dates and invites and how many just invites and how much in advance did you send them? :(

Helen, Nov 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

airy_fairy

we sent save the dates a year in advance - but we are getting married in area with limited accomodation options and since we have family scattered accross the world we wanted to give everyone plenty of time to plan ahead and save up for their journey and accomodation. Invites we will be sending out in April (our venue needs final numbers six weeks before) for an August wedding, giving us a good three months for RSVPs and chasing up :( Our overseas invites are going out in in February.

airy_fairy, Nov 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

gemw24

We are getting married in September 11 and I am sending invites out in Feb/March time so that people we can book the hotel out for rooms and so that we have definate numbers for food etc.

gemw24, Nov 8, 2010
  4. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

I am sending out my save the dates next July simply because there are so many wedding and holidays in the summer time, the invites will be sent out the end of Jan/ start of Feb 2012 our venue needs numbers 8 weeks before the wedding and we are setting the rsvp date for the end of March so it gives me a month to chase people up.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Nov 8, 2010
  5. Helen

ilovepink1984

Hello :(

We sent out Save the dates as soon as we set the date as we only had 8 months in toatl. Sent them beginning of March with location of wedding on so people could start thinking about and looking up accommadation ideas. Luckily we live in an area with LOTS of hoetls nearby so this was never a problem. We sent out the invites with 3 months to go - as per tradition! - and had an RSVP of 3 weeks after this. Only had to chase 1 person. Everyone who got an invite came! Sent evening invites with 2 months to go and they all came too. x

ilovepink1984, Nov 8, 2010
  6. Helen

Becky

We are getting married on 7th May 2011 and sent out the save the date cards to people coming to the full day about 10 months before. I think we're going to send full invites with Christmas cards - save on the postage!! :(

Becky, Nov 8, 2010
  7. Helen

poppleminster

That's an awesome idea :(

We gave out the save the date cards to people we knew would be very busy - some of Ben's family travel around with their hobby so needed to know in order to avoid concert dates. I was suprised how grateful people were as I have over 2 years yet! I think that for people that you really, really want there then the more notice the better.

poppleminster, Nov 8, 2010
  8. Helen

MrsStanding2Be

your getting married 2 days after my 22nd bday! :)

MrsStanding2Be, Nov 8, 2010
  9. Helen

MrsStanding2Be

i hadnt even thought about save the date cards! oh crap more money! lol

10. Helen

Becky

Our Save the Date cards cost a grand total of £20 - bargain! We bought the materials and made them ourselves, and luckily everyone thought they'd been professionally done! So no pressure for the invites then... :);)

Becky, Nov 8, 2010
  11. Helen

MrsStanding2Be

Any piccies? :)

12. Helen

MrsBrown

We didnt send save the date cards, we just told our mums who we were inviting and they spread the word ha ha!!! we did put a little note in xmas cards for a few friends who live away. As for the invites, I was planning on sending them in april (wedding in september) but I finished making them in March and couldnt wait any longer!

MrsBrown, Nov 8, 2010
  13. Helen

Becky

I'm sure I've got some pics somewhere, I'll dig them out tonight ;)

Becky, Nov 9, 2010
  14. Helen

Anon_SA

I didn't send any save the date cards - just got the date round by word of mouth to people who needed to know well in advance - and we sent the first batch of invitations exactly 6 months before the wedding. Need to get my arse in gear and send the rest and get more addresses actually!!

Anon_SA, Nov 9, 2010
  15. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

Since im making all my own stationery it is all costing me a grand total of £60, that includes postage on the save the dates and invites, order of services etc etc

MrsBoucher2B2012, Nov 9, 2010
  16. Helen

flo2310

We didn't send save the date cards either - word of mouth travels very fast! (and is free!) and for those family members abroad we sent out emails as again, quick and free!!

Invitations for the whole day went out 3 months before with 6 weeks for RSVP and then the evening invitations were sent out after this with 4 weeks for RSVP as the venue needed to know a week before the final numbers (we also staggered the invitations like this so that if any people were unable to make the whole day we could add people from the evening list to make up the numbers)

Hope that helps! x

flo2310, Nov 9, 2010
  17. Helen

Helen

We haven't sent any save the dates and have just been telling people when it comes up in conversation.

I was wondering when to send the invites as we are getting married in Canada, we leave for there 7 weeks before our UK reception so I need to have chased people before we go really as will be tight for time when we get back, and our reception is on a Wednesday so people will need to book time off work. I was worried that people would get the invites too early then forget to reply as they had lots of time before or something. But now I think that I will send them out in Feb for reception in June. Sorry rambling on now :)

I do really like the combining with Christmas cards idea, do you think that is too early to send invites for a June reception in December?!

Helen, Nov 10, 2010
  18. Helen

Becky

I guess it depends - are people going to have to travel far?

Becky, Nov 10, 2010
  19. Helen

Helen

About 50% of guests will have to travel far enough to have to stay overnight.

Helen, Nov 11, 2010
  20. Helen

Becky

I think you could get away with it then! :)

Becky, Nov 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question