When To Plan Which Bit?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Alicia_Leoni, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Alicia_Leoni

Alicia_Leoni

When do you starting planning which bit? I am starting with venues.. I started calling up today booking viewing and to discuss prices etc, my wedding is for next June/July 2014 so around 10/11months. When do I start booking cars? Picking my dress? Bridesmaid dresses? Suits? Picking flowers? When do I send my invites? Choosing my room decor? His mum is sorting out honey moon out. When do you choose rings etc? I want to start planning but I don't know which bit I should start first.... Thanks!

Alicia_Leoni, Aug 13, 2013
    lalalove likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Alicia_Leoni

Helen

I would start with venues, once you have chosen a venue you will have a date and you can then plan everything else. You will also be able to match things to the style of your venue as well as the time of year :)

Things like rings you can choose now if you wanted to get started. Once you know the time of year you can start choosing a dress.

We sent our invites out 4 months before the date, however I had told people the date 6 months before as we had a midweek reception so people could plan/book time off work in advance.

Exciting times!

Helen, Aug 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Alicia_Leoni

Alicia_Leoni

I have today viewed my first of three venues. My OH really liked it! I liked it a lot too, but wanted to see the other two also, the woman has booked in our two dates of which either we wanted and both free and then I called registration office when I got home, they were meant to have called me back but haven't yet so guess they will tomorrow so I will call them back to book the date. If the two other venues are booked with them dates then will go with first venue so not fussed in all honesty. The woman at registry said she thinks they are free so.. Wedding is defiantly June/July 2014 though. I just got my invite to my cousins wedding next June? so not too early to send out invites? Obviously too early for us yet we need a venue and to finish our list etc but you get me ha. I have chosen my theme and colours of the venue she said she might find it hard to get but if I wanted to look into it aswel we will work together on it to make it possible.

Alicia_Leoni, Aug 14, 2013
  4. Alicia_Leoni

Helen

Sounds great. What colours have you chosen?

Helen, Aug 14, 2013
  5. Alicia_Leoni

iPrincess26

Sounds great I would get started on dresses both yours and bridesmaid as if you are not going for something from the high street it has to be made up and different designers have different lead times ( I got married in May and left the bridesmaid dress until January which meant we only had one designer to choose from!

iPrincess26, Aug 15, 2013
  6. Alicia_Leoni

Becky

Like the others have said, venue first and once that is booked you can start on the rest. Sounds like you are nearly there with it which is exciting!

As June / July is a busy time for weddings, holidays etc you might want to send out a save the date card once you have your date, but invites don't usually go out until much closer to the time. If you send them out too soon then people might lose them or say they are coming but then forget closer to the time, and you don't want to have to double check or chase up every invitee.

Dresses are something you might want to think about sooner rather than later, because some can take quite a while to be ordered. It really varies from designer to designer, but you wouldn't want to find your dream dress and then find it won't be ready in time.

I'd say that start looking into the things that matter the most to you in the next few months - for example if you wanted a specific type of car, or a particular photographer, it might be a good idea to book them well in advance for peace of mind. June / July is busy with weddings so people get booked up fast! Also things that you are doing yourself don't necessarily need to be done until closer to the time, unless they are particularly time consuming. I didn't do bridesmaid dresses or suits until much closer to the date - if you are getting high st dresses (which are often far cheaper and nicer than ones from wedding dress shops) then new year sales might be a good time to get them!

It might be a good idea to write yourself a list of services you need to book and things you are going to do yourself. Here's a bit of a kick-start (in no particular order)!

Venue
    Register office
    Dress & accessories
    Flowers
    Catering (if separate)
    Music - DJ, band etc
    Bridesmaid dresses
    Suits
    Venue décor
    Entertainment?
    Cars
    Photographer
    Hair / make up
    Cake
    Rings
    Insurance
    Guest book
    Favours

Obviously you don't need them all, your wedding should be what you want and not what you think people expect!

Becky, Aug 15, 2013
  7. Alicia_Leoni

Alicia_Leoni

turquoise. i want it all white and turquoise. the cake. the ballons. the chair covers which i really want! i want a sweet trolly, and a chocolate fountain (classy one) with tiny donuts and strawberries etc etc, turquoise macaroons and cake lollies. i am a big kid i know. but i've always dreamt of it and i only aim to get married once!

Alicia_Leoni, Aug 16, 2013
  8. Alicia_Leoni

Alicia_Leoni

just an update. my wedding is now booked for 21st june 2014. the first venue said thats fine. i still want to view the other venues, there are two more one because of the time of year is has the most gorgeous garden, and the other its beautiful and classy, and i've seen pictures of decor places that have done their work in their and seriously its nice ha. i do like the other place, but it has no garden or anywhere at all to sit outside, it's just inside. it has lovely white carved ceiling and white pillars but i hate the carpet!!! if that can be covered then it's fine, it's a real horrid mustard with old fashioned designs on which i find really odd as the hotel isn't that old. but as we have booked our date and time at registry if the other two places are booked them days then it's fine to carry on with the first one we viewed. one i am viewing today the one i want, and the other next tuesday.

9. Alicia_Leoni

Alicia_Leoni

i will send out save the dates soon as i know venue and put deposit down, so by next tuesday i will know for definite. yes good advice about not sending invites too early though. dress i wanted done soon, as my sister is my maid of honour and my best friend is my bridesmaid so i can sort theirs with them. and i haven't changed shape or size in years so i know i'll be an 8 to 10 but i'm currently loosing the last bit of baby weight training a lot so i don't want to order something that i then go down to a size 8.. yes i want a big horse drawn carriage i have been looking into that as i own 6horses myself so thats a big thing to me, quite sad my two i always said that would bring me have now retired. i just want it all matching colours. i have bought a big note pad and titled the tops of pages with each thing, then wrote numbers, web sites names and ideas on them. so i am planning haha

10. Alicia_Leoni

Helen

Turquoise is a lovely choice :)

I would have liked to involve my horses but in the end we got married abroad so that idea went out of the window, plus my husband hates horses so as it was his day too I would have had to compromise on that anyway even if we had got married here.

Helen, Aug 16, 2013
  11. Alicia_Leoni

Alicia_Leoni

rang the place i wanted they aren't free any of the dates we can. so i've called the place before the one we viewed and booked it. so we now have the registration office and the venue booked. any ideas on what to do with a lovely room (hate the chairs but i'm getting covers) but a horrid carpet in my venue? i think even once everything is in it it will still catch my eye.. want to go in and rip it up in the middle of the night.. ok it doesn't bother me THAT much..

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question