When Does A Small Budget Become A Big Budget?!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Helen, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Helen

Helen

What in your mind is a big budget?

We were talking about our wedding costs today as I had to go to the bank to move some money to pay the bills. Is a big budget big at a certain a fixed figure or do you relate it to what you earn and how much savings you have etc?

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

muckypaws

I would say ours is a small budget at 4K and its not relative to what we earn more to what we want to spend/savings/contributions etc

I suppose if your young and your parents are footing the bill then most would be 'big budget' ..............us oldies have more sense ha ha :)

apparently the average wedding budget in UK is 21K............ flipping eck !!!! i dont think i could spend that much if i had it ;)

muckypaws, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

Helen

If the average wedding cost is 21k does that mean that is a normal amount of money to spend on a wedding?

In that case a small budget is anything under 21k and a big one anything over 21k...

I can see that just by choosing more expensive options of everything you might be able to get it that high without too much trouble. For example I saw some wedding invites for nearly £10 each on one website. They were pretty but I would expect them to be at that price.

Helen, Jul 7, 2011
  4. Helen

MrsC2Be

Ours is probably going to work out around 10k and a lot of that is feeding the number of people we want there. And I think that's a lot of money. But we're getting the wedding we want and we're paying for it ourselves.

MrsC2Be, Jul 7, 2011
  5. Helen

iPrincess26

Ours (if we do it over here) will come in at around 8K but that does also include a 3 week honeymoon! for the wedding itself think we worked it out to be about 4K at the most! It's a big budget to us as we have no money but small in comparison to the supposed average which I had read was 25K!!! Nice if you have it, but think it has been proven over and over by the brides on here that you don't need to spend a fortune to have a spectacular day. :)

iPrincess26, Jul 7, 2011
  6. Helen

poppleminster

Our original budget was originally 2k but have increased it to 2.5k and am coming in on budget easily even with out mega castle ceremony as we are having the reception elsewhere and a vintage bus to ferry people around. I've made lots of the stuff myself and kept costs low by scouring ebay and the net for bargains to spread the cost. This does not include a honeymoon however.

poppleminster, Jul 7, 2011
  7. Helen

SeptemberBride

Ours started at £3k and is going to end at about £4-5 I think. But we have got all the things we wanted there, just had alot of friends help, ie 1 friend is photographer, another is a Dj, another is doing our wedding cars. I guess its not what you know but who you know lol xx

SeptemberBride, Jul 8, 2011
  8. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

ours is a £5k budget and we are going for a big evening, i think so far we have come in on budget my save the dates have cost me under £5 to do and the invites are only going to cost me about £10 with postage on top so it is possible to have lots of people on a small budget just got to DIY a bit more. We are having the wedding we want, we could afford a £10k wedding fairly easily but we would rather spend money on doing things in the house (new bathroom etc) and having a another baby.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jul 8, 2011
  9. Helen

poppleminster

We chose the budget ages ago as we are saving and of course now, have the baby arriving but have managed to be resourceful and I can honestly say we are not compromising on what we want, just how we do it.

poppleminster, Jul 8, 2011
  10. Helen

MrsBrown

How are you popple and Bump??? when are you due???

I think we had a bigish budget which was a bit lucky because after I had been to see my venue, I couldnt think of anything else and it came with a price tag!! Having said that, we made choices to not go mad on somethings, such as we had sparkling wine rather than champange and I made my own invites, favours, seat plan etc. I think not only did it save us a fortune it added to the personal touch. I have loved all the things that people have made on here, regardless of budget and these will make our wedding different and unique.

We wouldnt have changed our wedding day for anything, however if I had only had a £1000 I would still have married hubbie and had a fab day, just maybe on a smaller scale!! awwwwwwww!!!!

MrsBrown, Jul 8, 2011
  11. Helen

Becky Administrator

I'm always amazed when I hear that an 'average' budget is over £20k, as in my mind that is a big budget. I think that figures involves everything though - engagement ring, honeymoon, as well as everything else. The wedding industry clearly makes a lot of money from us all!!

As everyone else has said, I don't think it matters about the size of your budget, it's what you do with it that counts :)

Becky, Jul 9, 2011
  12. Helen

poppleminster

All well and good. I have placenta previa so am being good and not doing too much but that is hard with 2 other children! Looks like the c section will be booked for first week in September. Dreading that bit! I have gestational diabetes but so far managed to control it completely with diet so nobody is that worried about it. This pregnancy is a dream compared to the hellish ones I had before! xxxxx

poppleminster, Jul 9, 2011
  13. Helen

MrsBrown

Do you know what you are having???

MrsBrown, Jul 10, 2011
  14. Helen

poppleminster

Oh yes. A little boy :) Perfectly happy with that, I already have one of each and my daughter costs me a fortune so a boy is just great. Can't wait! xxx

poppleminster, Jul 10, 2011
    SeptemberBride likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question