What Would You Do

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by sparkledream, Apr 4, 2011.

1. sparkledream

sparkledream

I've asked similar questions to this before, but you like everyones opinion on what to do. at the mo, my OH and I are trying to save for the wedding but not doing a very good job of it. it would be a small do anyway. but at the mo, we only have about 2k. i'd like to get married next year, as that was the date we originally suggested, so i've kind of got my heart set on that. although 2k is nothing. not in wedding terms. I dont want to have such a small do, that it ends up feeling like a wedding ceremony and a nice meal with friends and family, i want it to feel like a wedding. Am i looking at this wrong? Should we wait and save more? I know there are ways of saving mobey wedding wise, which i'm fine with, and happy to compromise on a lot of things (more than my OH is).

with 2k, what would you do?

sparkledream, Apr 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. sparkledream

poppleminster

2k can go a long way if you are able to do things yourself.

Make a list of friends and family that have skills you could rope in - anyone that can make a cake, amateur photogropher, someone with a nice car?
    Make the invites yourself
    Choose a restaurant for a nice meal that you can hire exclusively and then you wont have to pay hotel room hire costs and they should let you decorate the tables - they will also probably provide table flowers as they would normally have them anyway.
    Anyone got a nice big garden? You could buy a big party tent online (cheaper to buy from amazon than hire) and do an outdoor party.

Depending on how many people you have, catering can be done by friends / family. It really isn't expensive to do a decent posh buffet for about 40.

My budget was similar to yours and i've gone over but not noticed it as I buy things when I see them and build it into my weekly shopping :lol:

I have spent:eek:n my wedding for 45:

Haldon Belvedere £795 for 3 hrs
    Bickington Hall £21 the day
    Dress £150 ebay (this was the same one I tried on in the shop for over £1000)
    bridesmaid dresses- I got poppy two from a closing down sale on ebay and one in a charity shop as I am indecisive £24
    Hall decorations - lots of glass vases, metal watering cans, rustic stuff for flowers £35
    Table cloths (made from pure cotton double sheets £30
    Bunting - roped in MIL to help so free
    Favours - knitted bees / ladybirds / butterflies in aluminium tiny buckets £45
    Enid Blyton books and old games for our table centres £60 (bought as and when I see them in charity shops)
    Crockery - all vintage teasets, serving platters and cake stands £80
    Invitations - made myself, bought bits as and when seen that I liked £25
    Bags, silk flowers to sew on them, shoes and hair accessories £50
    Stuff to make my photo booth £36

Still to do:
    Bens suit and my son Ben's suit
    Poppy's shoes
    Flowers (we have a flower seller in Exeter every morning that sells flowers for approx £2.99 a nice bunch or 3 bunches for a fiver. I'm going to use him and make the displays myself - very simple single stems in old glass lemonade bottles to fit our theme then big rustic watering cans by the doors and various glass vases on other tables.
    Rings - we will probably whack these on credit card but not sure yet.
    Possibly a vintage bus - £600
    Cheesecake - 3 tier cake made of cheeses £120
    Wedding cake - ordering cupcakes from Waitrose @ £1 each = £45
    Other food - big hams, pickles, homemade cakes £150 (could be a lot cheaper but I am being a snob)

If you go to a restaurant then you'd have none of the decorating costs I have.

Hope that helps!

poppleminster, Apr 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. sparkledream

Anon_SA

And remember it's ultimately about the marriage rather than a big fancy wedding :lol:

Anon_SA, Apr 4, 2011
  4. sparkledream

Becky

It depends on what you really want - if you've got your heart set on a bigger event then I guess the compromise is that it would have to be at a later date. But as poppleminster rightly says, there is still so much you can do for £2k! No reason why you can't have the day you want on the date you want - it just means that you'll have to do a lot yourself. Time to get creative! :lol:

Becky, Apr 4, 2011
  5. sparkledream

MrsMay2011

Haveyou thought about looking at an all inclusive package at a hotel in the off season? I saw one in our local paper a while ago, I can't remember exactly how much but less than 3k, I remember thinking was good. Tried googling it just now but am on phone so a bit painful! But it was at holiday inn, something like civil ceremony, sit down meal for 60ppl incl glass of fizz on arrival & wine then buffet in evening for 100 (I THINK! It was something like that.) obv you'd still have dress and all the outfits and photographer etc to pay for though.
    I know it's not every girls dearest held dream to be married in the holiday inn but they're not all by airports! The one nearest us is set in the grounds of a boat museum. (bear with me!) with canal boats and swans wandering around. And the city centre one in Liverpool is really quite posh.

Once the food/venue are paid for it really is do'-able to save on other things. Have you appointed bridesmaids yet? If not when asking say you'd really love them to be BM but you're not sureyoucan afford them, but if they were to be could they pay for their outfits? This gives them the option to say no and real friends do understand, as long as you then dint try to force then to buy something hidious which they hate!
    We spend about £36 on materials for invitations (plus many painful hours making them - shudder)
    I got my £900 wedding dress for £299 from a discount bridal store the dresses were just as gorgeous and all in perfect condition but you don't pay to be fawned over and given glasses of wine, and you buy the actual dress you try on.

I would say - AVOID wedding mags. Things you never thought of suddenly are made out be essentials and they you feel inferior for not having them! Eh chair covers, I agree they look v nice and if you've got the budget splendid. Oh how I agonised! But have you ever been to a wedding where anyone has said "lovely wedding, but did you see the state of the chairs?!" these mags make you lose all perspective.

Good luck! x

MrsMay2011, Apr 10, 2011
  6. sparkledream

sparkledream

thanks, apart from the little problem with moeny (which we will discuss). MIL's very unwell (i'm going to post another thread) so really dont know what we will do.

but thank you for your advice

sparkledream, Apr 11, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question