What Is An Average Reception Venue Cost?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by rainbowbride, Aug 11, 2010.

1. rainbowbride

poppleminster

I have had the ame problem! If you look on your local county website there should be a section for village halls which I found useful. I just can't find one that has enough parking / grounds / doesn't look like a sports hall. I've found a small hotel now that is being really good and I worked out we'll be paying only £230 more than if I do the food myself which I felt was ok. I looked everywhere for a hotel that would let me use the hall and do my own catering, nowhere seems to allow that anymore!

poppleminster, Aug 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. rainbowbride

vhc

we went with a local members' club - UK Paper - they charge for the room hire, then you can have all different food menus on top of that.
    they were very flexible for our timings as well - the standard hire charge was from 6-11 pm, but we paid an extra £30 to have the room from 5 (so the DJ could set up)
    the normal charge was about £300, i think.

look around your local sports clubs, like the cricket ground, or the local recreation ground.
    if it's got a pavilion or sports club attached to it, it will be rather cheap.
    you might have to pay for membership, but again very cheap, and it will usually get you a decent discount off room hire.

as for having the reception in your church - why not?
    our food reception was in our church and everyone said how good it was, so relaxed and informal and great fun.
    If your church has "free-form seating" then you can move all the chairs out of the way and have tables and chairs set up if you want a sit-down meal, or move it out of the way in the evening for a dance floor (most churches these days have sound systems you can play CDs on - or hire a DJ who comes with his own stuff)
    you can even get a single event drinks licence for £21 so you can sell drinks (or hire a bar to come into the venue for the evening)

vhc, Aug 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. rainbowbride

poppleminster

hmmm just thought museums might have function rooms too.

I bet the church was lovely, i'd have really liked that if I were remotely near my old home in Sussex as I grew up knowing many of the people that are still there. After I moved here I just can't get there to see them all now. I'd be the worlds worst christian but I loved the community attitude and often helped with church events and the vicar was always on my sons birthday party guest list. I do miss them. I really respected them because having come from a JW background, the people there were so nice and supportive to not just christians but all in the community. Funny how different areas of the country vary. I took my children to christingle in the cathedral and my little Ben afterwards tried to thank the vicar / bishop type person who proceeded to blank him completely and walk off. Ben was really sad and I was angry. If you belong to and have a lovely church community then the reception there would be just perfect.

4. rainbowbride

iPrincess26

We have hired a room at the local racecourse but we are tied to their caterers who have us over a barrel! and don't they know it will def be employing some of those haggling tactics to get the best deal but have a trick up my sleeve to help with that - an offer they are running that they didn't tell us about but asked us q's to see if we knew about it - basically we are paying for our room hire separate to our food but they are doing an offer for the price of our food budget that includes the room hire and 3 different meal options for about 50 people! They checked if our budget included room hire we said no and they didn't bother to tell us about the deal i found it on the website later but come next year will be using it to get some extras included like tea & coffee and having the BBQ served to the tables!

iPrincess26, Aug 13, 2010
  5. rainbowbride

poppleminster

make sure you do a screen print of the webpage it's on incase they change the offer and you can't prove it existed. :)

6. rainbowbride

iPrincess26

I have it saved off already, but thanks for thinking of that. :)

Just had another look at there are 3 different meal options - Hog roast, fork buffet or finger buffet for 100 people with prices of £1000, £750 & £650 respectively this includes venue hire and bar! We are paying £600 just for the venue hire & bar!

Needless to say we weren't overly impressed when we saw that!

iPrincess26, Aug 13, 2010
  7. rainbowbride

poppleminster

Might be worth calling them now before it gets to next year and asking for a new quote based on the prices they have advertised on the website. Naughty people.

poppleminster, Aug 14, 2010
  8. rainbowbride

Mrsg2b2011

Oh my god Popple that is outrageous!!!! I know its not the venue you orgianally wanted but I am glad you have a new one & told that money grabbing cow to poke it!!! I am so shocked for you!!! That is disgusting!!! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Aug 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question