What Is An Average Reception Venue Cost?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by rainbowbride, Aug 11, 2010.

1. rainbowbride

rainbowbride

Hello

I do hope you can all help.

We are 1 week into our provisional venue booking and are having some trouble with our loan (credit report wrong, getting fixed). Anyway, so if we are going to take this place we have to pay a deposit by Tuesday and after a (very supportive) conversation with my parents I am panicking slightly. Mostly about whether we're being stupid about trying to afford this lovely place or whether we should just go with church / local restaurant.

Anyway. My question is: what is the average price FOR a wedding reception? (say venue, catering, drinks, table decorations). I feel like our place is really quite cheap but am not sure if I am delusional about this because we live in Surrey.

Incidentally and as part of the same question does anyone know any lovely cheap reception venues in the Godalming end of Surrey?

Where we are currently looking at is £5.4k and this provides exclusive venue use, canapes and drinks, 3 course meal and 1/2 bottle of wine per guest, toasting wine, evening buffet, and table (and I think house?) decorations for 80 people. Is this really good or not? Thanks.

rainbowbride, Aug 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. rainbowbride

MrsBrown

I think the trouble is Amanda that places vary so much. When we looked around we could find packages for about 3k all in but when you looked it wasnt for many people, had to be on a weekday not friday or sat! Also that didnt include table decor.

Have you just tried googling your wedidng venue and asking for independent review. If you type in the name and something like reviews it may find something. The venue website will obviously put on the good reviews.

You could also ring a few other venues to see what a similar package is like..... though be careful extra cost doesnt mean that it will be any better! For example, our caterers charge £10 a head extra on top of the drinks package if we want champagne for the drinks reception and toasts, thats an extra £800! We tatsed the sparkling wine and no-one will ever know.. in fact I thought it tasted better than the champagne.

MrsBrown, Aug 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. rainbowbride

MrsBoucher2B2012

Sorry i cant be much help.
    I think mrsbrown is right areas vary, im hoping to have our reception at a hotel about 30mins away from the church and our is costing about 2k for the dj, wedding breakfast for 35(just family), corkage for 30 bottles of wine, evening buffet for 85 and a few other bits and pieces. But my venue is in the South Wales valleys

MrsBoucher2B2012, Aug 12, 2010
  4. rainbowbride

MrsC2Be

I wrote a huge reply to this last night but my computer crashed, boooooo :)

Your package sounds reasonable to me. We're paying around 5k, which is for 60 guests and just for the ceremony and day do, however, it does include the cake, some flowers (we'll probably end up paying extra), a chunk of the photographers fees and the pianist for the day. BUT canapes are extra and we have to pay for the evening do separate (£10 a head) and extra day o guests are £44 each. So, I'd much rather have the extra guests catered for and the evening food included rather than the cake etc.

You can get cheaper packages, but you might end up compromising on the venue that you love. Do you have to get a venue with a package? Some places literally provide the room and then you can get your own caterers etc. That way you can control your budget a bit better, as you'll be able to do deocrations and stuff yourself.

Have a good scout around on the internet, email off for quotes etc it'll give you more of an idea of what other places in your area charge. We're getting married in Cheshire, not far from footballer territory of Wilmslow and Alderley Edge, so where we've chosen, as well as being gorgeous, is one of the best options for what we want.

Don't know if this is any help, keep us posted on how you get on :) x

MrsC2Be, Aug 12, 2010
  5. rainbowbride

airy_fairy

We are paying just under £5,000 for what you described but 100 guests. It was definatly the lowest price we were quoted by a long way though (several thousand). It does depend on where you live and i live in rural Lancashire.

airy_fairy, Aug 12, 2010
  6. rainbowbride

Mrsg2b2011

I agree it varys whever you are but I think that sounds about right on average I suppose. Mine is just over £4800 for, venue, reception drinks, 3 course meal, 1/2 bottle house wine per person, sparkling wine for the toasts, for 80 adults & 10 children, evening buffett for 120 & exclusive use of the gardens. (Thay have an upstairs room which they try not too hire out on another wedding if they can help it but the garden is all ours!! ) & I thought this was very reasonable. Well it is more reasonable than my original venue xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Aug 12, 2010
  7. rainbowbride

Anon_SA

We're paying quite a lot in comparison to be honest. In a way I wish we'd shopped around more, but the venue and location was perfect, and so many other things fell into place.

I cringe to say it, but for around 85 guests (which includes canapes after the ceremony, three course meal, buffet in the evening and drinks) this comes to £9,500. This doesn't take into consideration that we're having a few extra guests in the evening who will be requiring buffet food.

This also doesn't take into consideration combined room hire of £2,450 AND the fact that I'm paying an extra £2,400 to be the only bride on the day (and it's on a Friday!! - if we wanted it on a Saturday we'd have to pay another £2,000!)

So adding that all up comes to £14,350 before we've thought about extra food for evening guests OR ANYTHING ELSE TO DO WITH THE WEDDING.

Safe to say we're trying to be frugal with lots of other things...

Anon_SA, Aug 12, 2010
  8. rainbowbride

iPrincess26

Ok so mine is by far the cheapest wedding on here, we are paying £600 for the room for all day and night, will be the only ones there, £1000 for food (BBQ brought to the tables, tea and coffee and evening bacon sarnies) we have about 50 for the day with an extra 20 in the evening. Add to that the £300 registrar fees and our total is £1900! we have made our own table dec's for about £60 for 8 tables and don't have much else left to pay for! Our friend does karaoke so he is lending us his lights and speakers and we are making our own play-list, friends are doing the photos and my mum is making the cake and paying for my dress. All in all we will have spent about £2700!

So I think it defiantly depends on lots of variables!

iPrincess26, Aug 12, 2010
  9. rainbowbride

poppleminster

It really does pay to shop around and do not be frightened to give the hotel a budget and ask them to make a package for it. I've just had to change my reception venue due to the woman at the original venue trebling the price because it was a wedding not any other party :)

The prices they publish are not what they expect you to pay, they expect you to haggle. Ugh.

poppleminster, Aug 12, 2010
  10. rainbowbride

MrsBrown

OMG Popple, was that the lovely venue you had? the house with the rooms? Cant believe she has done that, thats outragous!! Hope you have found somewhere nice

MrsBrown, Aug 12, 2010
  11. rainbowbride

poppleminster

yeah that was the place. Am gutted but not prepared to give her three times the normal price when I was doing all the catering and decs myself anyway. She was literally getting the extra money for nothing. Am now looking at a place not as nice but the owner was just lovely and although more than I wanted to pay, he's allowing us so much input and coming up with some great ideas to help. It makes the blow a little softer.

12. rainbowbride

MrsBrown

I am shocked!! Your old place wasnt a wedding venue was it? you were just hiring it from her for your occasion!! How dare she!! well I hope that she cant get a booking for that weekend ha ha!!

Glad you found somewhere else though and I am sure you will be able to make it just as lovely!

MrsBrown, Aug 12, 2010
  13. rainbowbride

poppleminster

it was a holiday place for groups and large parties :)

14. rainbowbride

Becky

That's terrible popple - it makes me so mad how the price for anything goes right up as soon as you mention the word 'wedding'. Glad you've found somewhere else though :)

Becky, Aug 12, 2010
  15. rainbowbride

Mrs T2B (Kel)

We did this! I went in and said this is what we want, and we have this much to spend. They went away, came back with a quote, I haggled over the menu, re-negoitiated etc and we got the perfect menu for the price we wanted!

Mrs T2B (Kel), Aug 12, 2010
  16. rainbowbride

MrsC2Be

Popple that sucks (I saw it on fbook this morning and was outraged for the first few hours of my day, I even told my boss about it and he shared the outrage lol). Sorry to hear that she thinks that doing that makes her an acceptable person (it doesn't). People like that make me cross, ripping people off on the happiest day of their life isn't cool, they're supposed to make it easier and want to share in your joy. She's getting serious bad karma. Fingers crossed the new venue lives up to your expectations and is still as lovely. xxxx

MrsC2Be, Aug 12, 2010
  17. rainbowbride

Anon_SA

Yes, the beauty of haggling. I'm definitely going to be creating a bespoke menu and drinks package for the money we're going to be paying. I'm also hoping, which I neglected to mention, to bring the price of the food I mentioned down a couple of grand at least.

What annoys me is we can't sort this until 6 weeks before the wedding. I just want to know now how successful I can be at this haggle!!

Anon_SA, Aug 13, 2010
  18. rainbowbride

poppleminster

oh gosh 6 weeks? You'll be haggling in your dreams until that time :)

poppleminster, Aug 13, 2010
  19. rainbowbride

poppleminster

Thank you :) She so got the raw deal in the end as I was booking out her manor and all the cottages at full price for three days in late Sep when that is rare. Her loss now. Gutted but the perfect place isn't going to be perfect if I begrudge giving her the money. Better off with the not-so-WOW-venue but with people I trust and like and that are really helpful.

poppleminster, Aug 13, 2010
  20. rainbowbride

Helen

Popple that is so wrong! I hate that people seem to think pound signs as soon as the word wedding is mentioned, if something costs a lot of money then fine but adding it on top just because it is a wedding is another thing. :)

We are really struggling with a reception venue as we don't want a package, all we want is the room with some outdoor space. I'm currently trawling local village halls but so far they are all too small and with not enought outside space grr.

Helen, Aug 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question