What Happens If You Get Married Abroad?

Discussion in 'Weddings Abroad' started by floatylight, May 1, 2010.

1. floatylight

floatylight

I'm looking in to possible venues at the moment, but it looks like it might be the same price to get married in France as it does in the UK (in terms of hire and so on). But I don't know what happens with the wedding license... if thats the name.

If we got married abroad does that mean we are married in the UK, or do we need to go to a registry office here? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm new to all this [​IMG]

floatylight, May 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. floatylight

fall3n-ang3l

iam not sure about france but most of the places,the uk will recognise it as a legal marrige,some places,you have to have the marrige licence translated in to english

sarah

fall3n-ang3l, May 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. floatylight

fall3n-ang3l

forgot to say that some places are a hell of a lot cheaper to get married than the uk,a lot of places are cyprus,greece,places like that are quite cheap,iam getting married in the seychells and its costing about the same as i would be to get hitched in the uk

sarah

fall3n-ang3l, May 1, 2010
  4. floatylight

MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be, May 1, 2010
  5. floatylight

airy_fairy

For a marriage to be recognised as legal in France it has to be conducted by the mayor of the town/municipality you live in or their appointed person. I think it also has to be in the mayors office/town hall. I'm fairly sure that getting married in a church/other religous building doesn't actually make you married... Dunno if this is helpful :)

airy_fairy, May 1, 2010
  6. floatylight

tinxfoowinkle

The reason we are getting married abroad, is because it is second time around for me & we wanted to keep it reasonably low key. It is also so much cheaper, especially when it comes to reception venues. If we were to marry in this country we would have had to invite every Tom, Dick & Harry & at the end of the day we are paying for this ourselves & just can't justify paying a lot of money out for everyone else to benefit. We would rather spend the money on another holiday![​IMG]

tinxfoowinkle, May 1, 2010
  7. floatylight

Madison12

Yes, if you get married abroad your wedding license will be recognised. Just make sure to take care of the necessary papers in the country you're getting married in! Like a poster said - you can get married in a church in France, but you'll also have to go to town hall to register your wedding. Other than that, it should be no problem. Plus, imagine the money you'd save and the headache you'd avoid by not having to invite all those people you barely know!
    Go for it. :)

Madison12, Mar 11, 2014
  8. floatylight

Jillian

I would think that most places would recognize it. I mean there are so many weddings abroad each year that surely they are recognized without having to do more.

Jillian, Jul 18, 2014
  9. floatylight

jas1978

Really great information! Thanks x

jas1978, Aug 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question