West Yorkshire Venues

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by MrsH, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MrsH

MrsH

Hello!

We are currently looking for a venue and are having trouble finding somewhere perfect.

We have looked at quite a lot in the area now and are currently looking at either Leeds Parkway or Oakwood Hall in Bingley - would be grateful if anyone has been to a wedding at either of these or know someone who got married there if you can let me know what you thought!

The things we want from a venue are:-
    Rooms to stay over
    Fits 120 guests in day and 180 in evening (though slightly smaller could be considered)
    Civil ceremony license
    Pref have own area/exclusive use
    Budget of up to £7000

If anyone has any other suggestions would be grateful! We have looked at Craiglands, Victoria Hall, Kyte Hotel, Waterton Park, Lakeside restaurant, Leeds/Bradford Mercure, and possibly others too!

Thank you!

~MrsH

MrsH, Jul 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsH

Becky

It's not my neck of the wood I'm afraid, but one of our members - Mrs Brown - got married near there so she might have some good advice! :)

Becky, Jul 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsH

MrsBrown

I have been to a wedding at Oakwood hall. They got married in the small room which was nice but would not accommodate your guests. The only thing I would say is that for your number of guests they may not all fit in the main area, I believe you can go round a corner for extra but I wouldn't have liked to have been seated where i couldnt see the bride! The dance floor is also very small and I felt that on the eve do, everyone was spread out not really in one area.

We actually looked at it for our venue, lovely interior but we wanted a ceilidh and it just wouldn't have worked. I know a few people who have had their weddings there and have been happy, so maybe just think about the space and how it would work with your numbers. We wished we had booked a room their for our wedding night though as we stayed in another hotel and having seen pics of honeymoon suite it was lovely.

We got married at east riddlesden hall in keighley. Its a gorgeous setting. Are your numbers def? You get married in a barn but its amazing. Look on their website. One of my wedding pics is used in the brochure. You would def get 120 in the barn, but they price per head and charge for venue so may not be possible. However they do weekday and winter packages and fixed price packages but for less numbers if you want to look. No accomodation though. To be honest I went to look and fell in love so we didn't really look elsewhere. they also make you use set suppliers which means you are limited with finding bargains but it helped us as we were new to area and didn't know where to start.

I like Victoria hall. I presume you mean Saltaire? I have been to ceilidh there too but no weddings. The room size would meet your needs. Never been to a wedding there though. My thoughts would, be parking? Where the heck would people park. Saltaire was not exactly designed for car use!

I also went to a wedding somewhere up near Leeds airport, that was nice. While back though.

Where are you based? I am in Shipley.

MrsBrown, Jul 23, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  4. MrsH

MrsH

Thank you both!

Mrs Brown - we visited East Riddlesden Hall too, and I can totally see why you fell in love with it, it is stunning! The drawbacks for us were no accomodation, and we couldn't really picture how the day would go with our number of guests with there only being one room. I did love it though - one of the few places I walked into and said wow.

I've been to a wedding reception at Victoria Hall (I did mean Saltaire) and it was lovely. We actually live in Saltaire which I think is a lot of what put us off - we wanted to go somewhere a bit further away and stay there and have it feel a bit more special, rather than just wandering up the road!

Thank you again, much appreciated!
    The honeymoon suite at Oakwood Hall was really lovely. We went to see Leeds Parkway again last night and we're both about 95% certain that we are going to book there. The wedding coordinator is fabulous, and the space does everything we need. Plus it is next to a nature reserve! :)

MrsH, Jul 24, 2012
  5. MrsH

MrsBrown

Small world! We prob live in walking distance!

The wedding in one room worked fine for us, we had 90 day and another 60 ish at night. Plus we were lucky that the weather was ok. We had drinks in the garden whilst they changed the venue from the ceremony to the reception, I.e moved the chairs to the other side. The down side was the loos at the other side of the garden but never mind. Most of our guests stayed at the premier inn nearby. I think every wedding venue has some compromises so just have to decide, I really wanted accomodation too, but in the end my heart ruled and I thought stuff the guests ha ha.. They coped. I love our photos so much and it just reminds me why I loved it! We go back quite often and just sit in the garden.

Wandering up the road in your wedding dress could be fun, I could come watch! Before we got engaged we did think about ( we talked about it a bit!) that it could be fun to get married in the united reform church and then walk up the road! Though the tourists might have put me off.

Never been to parkway at Leeds, I might have to google :) glad your getting sorted though.. You will find the right place and then it will be full steam ahead!

MrsBrown, Jul 24, 2012
  6. MrsH

MrsBrown

Had a nosy... Like the fact they do have some grounds and outdoor space. The tables set up are lovely too, I am not biased by the purple colour.. Just love purple and was my wedding colour.

Just one thing, make sure you get the honeymoon suite. We stayed at a similar hotel on our wedding night, not too far away from where we live and had 2 single beds pushed together!!! One was hard, one soft.. It was quite comical to be honest! We didn't get married there and they did have another wedding actually at the hotel so understandably I presume she got the honeymoon suite but we did book an executive one and weren't overly impressed! Just check what yr getting.

My friend just got married at turnpike inn in Halifax. Well she had her reception there. If you saw it, you won't go wow... Its close to the m62 and near a busy road.. It might make you run a mile! But they made it look lovely, gorgeous flowers and set up, she had a sweetie table which went down fab and we all had an amazing time! One of best weddings apart from my own I have ever been to... point it that you don't have to always go wow, it's what you make of it that counts, and the atmosphere and people!

The day after my own wedding I went to my venue to collect my flowers and stuff and it was being set up for another bride, this makes me sound like a cow... But I wasn't impressed at all with her decor. The wedding planner was doing her best and it still was a gorgeous setting but the flowers were awful... And she hadnt gone for seat covers and the seats were really really ugly there!!!! I am sure she had a wonderful day though

I hope that make sense....

MrsBrown, Jul 24, 2012
  7. MrsH

Becky

I've just googled the venue - it looks lovely! It's always reassuring when you see photos of a room set up that doesn't have a huge amount of decor (flowers etc) but still looks beautiful.

MrsB - I think anyone setting up a wedding in your venue would struggle to match up to your amazing bunting! ;)

Becky, Jul 25, 2012
  8. MrsH

MrsBrown

I still have some bunting.. Is hanging in the shed! Next project is to make sesame some bunting for his nursery!

MrsBrown, Jul 25, 2012
  9. MrsH

MrsH

That does makes sense, thanks MrsBrown! Reassuring about your friend's wedding too - logically I know it is the other stuff that metters most (people/atmosphere/etc) and that also I shouldn't worry about what others think as you can't please everyone, but there is still a part of me that worries that people will judge! Silly, really.

Also, congratulations on seasame!

Thanks both for your positive comments! :)

MrsH, Jul 26, 2012
  10. MrsH

MrsBrown

I'm sorry to say this, but you could have the most expensive wedding venue and people would still judge!! I don't know what it is but weddings do bring out the worst in people!!!! My aunt told my mum the food was awful on my wedding day... She is horrible though.

If you like the venue, can afford it and like the people and the coordinator stuff what everyone else thinks, I think it looks lovely! Some people will moan regardless, but 99% will enjoy your day and have a great time.

Have you booked now and set a final date?

MrsBrown, Jul 26, 2012
  11. MrsH

MrsH

Yes, that is very true! Thank you for the reassurance. Not booked yet - we're going to arrange to go visit again with my parents and plan to book then, after discussing a few things with the coordinator.

Will definitely update when I do! I think it will all feel more real then - at least, I hope it will!

MrsH, Jul 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question