Wedding Reception Welcome Drinks..help Needed!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by holzj, Feb 23, 2012.

1. holzj

holzj

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help with suggestions. All this wedding planning is getting so stressful.

My fiancé and i are getting married this October. We're holding our reception at a hotel for roughly 250 people, however the wine is so expensive and so is the corkage charge. We have decided to go to Calais to get the wine and have managed to get the corkage charge reduced slightly - still expensive but thats seems to be sorted.

The problem i'm having now is that the hotel include in the price a canapé reception on arrival, but do not include drinks.

I want my guests to be able to have a drink whilst enjoying the canapés. I've worked out that the reception drinks will roughly only last around an hour before heading to our sit down meal. In this hour it will give my fiancé and i a chance to have hoots taken (well thats how i've planned it in my head so far).

I'm now stressing out about what to offer as drinks for the reception. Wine is too expensive, so thought maybe an alcoholic cocktail and orange juice for a non alcoholic choice. Or maybe pimms. The problem is the hotel have a corkage charge of £90 per bottle of spirit. Im trying to think of the cheapest option that will go far for the number of guests i have.

Please can anybody help with suggestions, any advice would be much appreciated.

A very stressed out bride to be :(

holzj, Feb 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. holzj

poppleminster

Does it need to be alcoholic? If not then i'd suggest possibly some of that Schloer type stuff, you can get on buy one get one free in supermarkets? Appletise do their own version now in lots of flavours and nicer bottles. Sounds daft but would be a cheap alternative.

Either that or possibly ask if you are allowed to take in a homemade fruit punch. That way you can use or hire a big bowl for it but avoid the corckage charge maybe and youn could have alcohol in it. (I recommend a proper Portugese sangria - few people make it properly but tastes awesome).

I'll get my thinking cap on for you. Welcome to the forums :)

poppleminster, Feb 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. holzj

poppleminster

There is another option. Get pushy. If you are having dinner at the hotel for 250 odd people then they will make a nut on drinks and your money too. Lay it on the line maybe, tell them you are already spending a huge amount of money with them but are prepared to change venue if they insist on the corkage charge. Believe me, they will not want to have to explain to the boss why their large wedding booking that will make them thousands, is possibly going to pull out.

Remember these people expect you to haggle. We are always too polite and nice but if you watch Don't Tell the Bride, they always haggle. If you can't do it, give me their number and i'll do it for you ;) xxx

4. holzj

holzj

Hi Poppleminister

Thank you so much for helping. If i had it my way i would cut down the number of people we are inviting by half lol..that way we wouldn't be in this predicament..but my fiancé won't have it. I think you're right, i might just have to go for a fruit punch.

I tried haggling with them, and managed to get the price down slightly by pretending other venues were much cheaper and how this hotel was my number one choice lol. It kind of worked, just not as much as i wanted it to. I'm going back to visit it next week to talk about figures with her..so will try and see what i can do..but I'm to very good at haggling.

I'm even contemplating using the champagne which is meant to be for our toast which is included in the price by the hotel, for the drinks reception and going without bubbly for the toast.

Decisions decisions...

holzj, Feb 23, 2012
  5. holzj

poppleminster

Now that is a good idea. Perhaps suggest it to the woman, being strong on the 'because we can't afford the corkage' and look a bit sad and pathetic then go quiet. If she has any business sense she'll work out it would be better to charge you less corkage than to lose out completely as you can use the package champagne. I know lots of people that have not used a specific drink for the toast and just people used their drinks or wine from the table.

Haggling is horrible, they love it when we don't do it. Bizzarely, I can haggle for anyone else but myself! I'm frequently called on to negotiate for friends yet for myself, I curl up in a corner and hide! Funny.

6. holzj

MrsBrown

I can't haggle!! Welcome to the forum by the way!!

Hope you will share all your plans too for us to nosy at!

Can't really add anything to what popple says but I agree with a wedding of 250 you think they would have helped!

MrsBrown, Feb 24, 2012
  7. holzj

poppleminster

You could tell them I am planning on turning up and handing out fruitshoots outside the hotel unless they ditch the corkage! I jest but that is actually what we are doing. Our wedding venue has a rip off £2.65 per head charge for drinks PLUS corkage and then of course the cost of the drink. Even if you buy their extortionate £23 per bottle Cava then you have to pay the £2.65.

As the venue is set in grounds owned by the woodland trust, it's a folly on a big hill, I told them not to worry as we will serve drinks outside. They tried to tell me we couldn't but failed miserably as there are already picnic benches etc as it is public right of way land. The actual restrictions are that they can nonly get away with charging for the drinks if they are inside the folly. Most people would walk straight outside with them anyway. If it rains, we have a vintage bus lined up just outside and they have said we are welcome to use it as a bar :)

poppleminster, Feb 24, 2012
  8. holzj

MrsC2Be

Are you kidding? They charge you for the booze and then to serve it?! That's not right, that's downright cheeky. I bet there are some people who would feel they had no option other than to pay it.

MrsC2Be, Feb 25, 2012
  9. holzj

poppleminster

Lots, they pretty much blackmail you. You pay a 3 hr slot and have to have the ceremony in the middle so they go on about how will your guests cope for 3 hrs etc. It has been taken over by the wife of the guy that used to run the place and she is just out to make cash. Shame as her husband was really nice.

poppleminster, Feb 25, 2012
  10. holzj

MrsC2Be

Your guests cope for 3 hours because they're having a lovely time joining you on your special day, idiots. Shame she's spoiling it, long term she won't be doing herself any favours.

MrsC2Be, Feb 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question