Wedding Day Part Two

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by Helen, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Helen

Helen

As most if you already know we got married by the side of a lake in Canada at the beginning of May. We only had 3 guests and we invited everyone else to a UK reception at the end of June.

We finally chose our venue after a lot of searching. As we wanted somewhere that would let us do our own caterering, our own bar, our own decorations etc it was hard to find somewhere that would just hire us a room that was large enough. Eventually we chose the Shropshire County Showground. It is a rather basic wooden shed with a marquee liner inside and we could do with it what we pleased.

When we arrived on the Monday morning to set up the place had been totally trashed by a previous event. The whole place was full of mud, there was mud on the ceiling, footprints on the walls and the lady in charge said she had had a plumber in for ages mending all the toilets that they had broken - eek. She was cleaning everything frantically for us and the carpet fitter had arrived to fit us a brand new carpet. Luckily the marquee sides had not been put up and were clean and she had someone starting to put them up for us.

I had asked my new husband to do a couple of things for our UK reception, he knew someone who did table and chair hire, so he was in charge of that, and he was sorting the bar out with our local pub. Needless to say that on the Friday none of this had been done, we had no tables, chairs, glasses or bar with 5 days to go!

A few phone calls and text messages later I had managed to get everything arriving for the Monday and Tuesday, ready for our Wednesday reception!

The chairs arrived before the carpet had been laid on Monday and the tables arrived shortly afterwards. I had asked for wooden chairs and had left it at that so I had no idea what to expect, as it turned out they were pretty much spot on so a massive thanks to Rachael at www.platinum-mem.co.uk for those.

I left my mum in charge of putting up the bunting while I moved all the tables to where I wanted them. That pretty much took up most of Monday!

We arrived back at the venue on Tuesday to find that the glasses had arrived and so had my flowers. I ordered those from www.flowers4florists.com who I think were recommended by Zoe the florist on here? They were so well packed and once we had got them out of the travel boxes and into buckets of water we left them to recover from their travels from Holland.

The tablecloths arrived shortly followed by our caterer Dawn www.catering-dn.com , who I cannot recommend highly enough. Dawn put on all the table cloths and laid the tables while I set up our table plan, photos, decorated our 'chill out room', assembled the outdoor decorations, put the table centres together leaving room for the flowers etc.

In the afternoon my dad arrived to put up the outdoor bunting and inflate the balloons while my mum and I started on the flowers. They went back to their hotel for some tea and I finished the flowers and waited for my husband to finish work and arrive with the last of the bits and bobs I needed. At 10.30 pm we finished and headed off to do the supermarket sweep for all the things we still needed, ginger beer for our welcome cocktails, tequila (!), lemons, limes and a couple of gifts. We finally got into bed at about 2am.

On Wednesday morning I took the cake and assembled that while my mum finished off tying the ribbon on the jam jars of flowers and my dad put up the croquet sets. The bar stuff arrived and then everything was pretty much coming together.

We were running a bit late setting up the bar and I had a phone call from my parents who had left the venue 20 minutes previously to say traffic was awful and they had only made it about 2 miles... This was a bit worrying as it normally takes 20 mins from the venue to my house and we had an hour to get back to my house, get changed and get back to the veune...

I'll be back shortly to finish this and find some photos :)

Helen, Jul 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

Becky

Oh my goodness, what a palava! It's a good job that you and the venue were so on the ball! Fancy your husband not doing his one allocated job, tut tut :)

Sounds like it's all coming together so far... I can't wait to read the rest after you left it on such a cliff hanger!!

Becky, Jul 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

poppleminster

You must have soooooooo much more patience than myself! I am freaking out over putting up bunting for a tiny village hall let alone a marquee! Can't wait for pics... stop having a lifre and post them up noooooow :) xxx

poppleminster, Jul 4, 2011
  4. Helen

MrsBrown

Can't wait for pics... stop having a lifre and post them up noooooow :) xxx
    [/quote]

Wish I could like this comment ha ha!!

MrsBrown, Jul 4, 2011
  5. Helen

Helen

Hahaha!

I am very sorry popple I will get onto it soon, I just need to finish a cake first (also quite cool, will post pics of that too)... :D

PS the bunting didn't take too long to put up and we (my mum) did nearly 400 metres of it we think. Make sure you get enough safety pins as we ran out half way through and had to buy some more.

Helen, Jul 5, 2011
  6. Helen

poppleminster

Hadn't even thought of safety pins! Oh dear. A whole new thing to forget to do! Xxx

poppleminster, Jul 5, 2011
  7. Helen

Helen

We went the back way home and while we were on our way we had a phone call from the cater saying she was there and couldn't get in. Luckily the site manager was about and let her in and once the caterer was there we didn't feel quite so worried that we had to be back early to let the bar staff in as she was there.

We did a quick change and headed back as I had asked our photograper (Sassy from Assassynation, who was wonderful I can't wait to see the pics) and our bridesmaids to be there at 1pm. Half way back I realised I had forgotten the mp3 so we had to turn around and try again. I called my parents and they said they were in traffic but not far away so I instructed my mum to give out the bridesmaids accessories and get Sassy to take photos of the bridesmaids and the decorations until we got there.

We finally got there about 1.30 so not too bad being as we had invited our guests for 2pm. There were quite a few already there and my mum had helped the bar staff to do the welcome cocktails (we did a Long Canoe for the drivers and non-alcohol drinking peeps and a Blue Bear for drinkers, I did a bit of creative Canadian naming there! We also had Oooh Elk, Wolf Running and Red Moose cocktails available at the bar so was all good fun!)

I will try and attach a few photos of the room...

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  8. Helen

Helen

[​IMG]

Our tables :)

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  9. Helen

Helen

[​IMG]

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  10. Helen

Helen

[​IMG]

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  11. Helen

Helen

We were lucky to have a main room and a small room at the end of the building that we decided to put a few tables and chairs in for anyone not wanting to listen to the band later on. I also made some posters from a couple of our Canadian pictures, some photos of us growing up, some family wedding photos and a childrens play area. Check out the tractor balloons!

Photos of the small room

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  12. Helen

Helen

The milk churns

[​IMG]

Outside one lot of doors, we did three sets of door decorations, all slightly different. This one had fushias in pots, pinwheels (that my bridesmaids used as bouquets for the photos) and lanterns.

[​IMG]

Picnic tables along the front of the building

[​IMG]

My sister testing out our flower arch. We took this all with us out of my garden! (Apart from the fushias which are heading off to another wedding that my mum is doing the garden for in two weeks time). We used picnic tables and bunting to 'direct' our guests from the car park through the arch so that Sassy could take everyones photo as they arrived.

[​IMG]

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  13. Helen

MrsBrown

Your flowers are wonderful!!

MrsBrown, Jul 6, 2011
  14. Helen

Helen

The table plan, I sewed this together the day before!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  15. Helen

Helen

The powder room, after all Mary the managers hard work removing the mud. I added the jars of flowers and a basket of goodies (including 5 nail varnish colours, which were a massive hit as ladies kept coming out with different colour nails!)

[​IMG]

Flowers in the powder room

[​IMG]

Tables looking towards the dance floor that we surrounded with balloons :)

[​IMG]

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  16. Helen

Helen

The cake...

Bears in outfits matching our own. I didn't make these, a lovely lady named Claire did, she makes any clothes you could want for any Sylvanian family, I have her contact details if anyone ever wants anything. I think she did a great job matching my dress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The making of the cake you already know about! My secret project for the last couple of weeks! :)

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  17. Helen

Helen

The reception was fabulous, we had an amazing time. The weather was beautiful. People played croquet, drank cocktails and were all photographed by Sassy in a fantastic fun and relaxed manner.

We were a little late sitting down to eat as we couldn't get people inside! The food was super, we kept it really simple. We didn't have a starter. For main we did a buffet of hot beef (bred by my husband), 6 different salads, macoroni cheese, new potatoes, potato wedges.

Pudding was a massive success. When I first asked Dawn our caterer for an ice cream bar I think she thought I was a bit nuts. I found a local farm producing their own ice cream and they gave me a massive choice of 42 flavours! We chose 7 in the end. Chocoholics Delight, Chocolate Orange, Toffee Chip, Fruits of the Forest, Clotted Cream, Elderflower sorbet and rhubarb sorbet. I cannot tell you how delicious the ice cream was! (Dairy Dreams from Churchstoke, Powys). Dawn really got into the swing of the ice cream bar once she realised what I was after. We had the 7 flavours of ice cream, then cream, strawberries, raspberries, banana slices, flakes, ice cream cones, smarties, mini marshmallows, sprinkles, and several different sauces. It was amazing! Everyone loved it and had great fun making their own sundaes and fitting as much as possible into the dishes!

We decided on a cider toast in the end. The speeches were pretty damn good. My husband and his two best men have all competed in public speaking competitions for young farmers and the standard was pretty damn hot. The best mens speech was a bit of a comedy sketch and people loved it, even my guests who had not met them before thought they were amazing.

By this time our evening guests were arriving and we did another round of welcome cocktails.

We played the mp3 until the band arrived. They were superb. Bad Hair Day are based in Shropshire but will travel about and they were well worth every penny. I have somewhat alternative taste in music and they are a bit rocky and slightly alternative but they also do a massive range of music that seems to please everyone (maybe not die hard clubbers!). The best men really pulled it out of the hat this time, their dancing was the funniest and most random thing and again everyone loved them. It made their speech look dull and it was far far from that!

It was tequila o'clock by then and so myself and three of my cousins soon polished off a bottle! I managed to have small shots as I had to stay pretty sober to lock up at the end of the night, they on the other hand, well hahaha is all I have to say about them!

After the band went most people went home. We got the alternative music on the mp3 and finished off the night with some novelty numbers from the likes of tenacious d etc and then and only then did my husband appear on the dance floor and we had our 'last dance' (we didn't want to do a first one with everyone watching us). We actually did two dances to GreenDay, Last Night on Earth and Googoo Dolls, Iris.

It was a fabulous day and we had a super time. We hugely recommend getting married abroad and having a UK reception, it spreads it out, you get two days, and I think it would have been too exhausting and too emotional to have enjoyed it as much as we did if it had all been on one day.

:) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Helen, Jul 6, 2011
  18. Helen

MrsC2Be

It all looks so lovely. so glad you had a great time and got to enjoy 2 days :) Love your table plan, it's amazing x

MrsC2Be, Jul 6, 2011
  19. Helen

Anon_SA

A.MA.ZING!

Anon_SA, Jul 7, 2011
  20. Helen

Helen

Thank you :)

Helen, Jul 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question