Wedding Cake

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsGroves2B, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Hi!

I booked our wedding cake yesterday from a local cake shop that we've used before and know loads of people who've used them too.

Just wondered what everyone's design is and fillings?

We have a three tier square cake with ivory base colour and burgundy and ivory hearts dotted all over it. It'll have a few gold hearts with it, but literally just a few. The topper is what can be best described as a firework style with hearts on the tops, in burgundy. The top and bottom tiers are rich fruit cake and the middle is a basic jam and cream sponge. There's a decoration that goes from the middle tier to over the top of the bottom tier on one side of about 4 interlinked hearts going downwards (imagine if polo mints were heart shaped, so the hearts have a hole in the middle, they're like that with a pattern on them. This is what some of the hearts on the cake itself like I mentioned before will look like, some will be whole hearts as well, same goes for the topper). and on the top of the middle tier will be two small gold rings. (We may not have the heart decoration, but its included in the price if we have it, so have said yes for now, but can change our minds before the day).

I love the layout- the bottom tier and middle tier are sitting on top of each ohter, so there's no pillars or supports in anyway. However the top tier is separated by a plastic vase which will have a burgundy rose head inside instead of 4 plastic pillars. Looks gorgeous to see the similar designs.

We actually didn't choose this style cake originally. We were looking in the books in the shop on a Friday and there were a couple already done awaiting collection. One of the women there showed us one of the cakes awaiting collection, which happened to be the cake we've ordered and in our colour scheme too! Chris looked at it first and said how much he loved it, I carried on looking in th book, then looked at it and also fell in love with it! The only difference they had was no gold hearts anywhere and they had the 4 plastic pillars to support the top tier whereas we're having the plastic vase with a burgundy rose head inside.

If only their website had a photograph of a similar one and I'd show you

xx

MrsGroves2B, Aug 23, 2012
    gildius likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Here is a photograph taken from our cake shop website to show you the design.

Basically take off the ribbon, make all the pink burgundy instead and the design of the topper and the hearts on the actual cake is identical to ours! (With the odd heart on the actual cake gold) Imagine that on a square cake and the top tier separated by a square plastic vase with a burgundy rose head inside, a pair of gold rings on the top of the middle tier and a white heart interlinked ornament on the right side of the middle tier going down to overlap the bottom tier slightly.

xx

Attached Files:

MrsGroves2B, Aug 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

That sounds great! It's nice when you can see something in real life, often it makes all the difference. I like the sound of the rose too, never seen that before!

Becky, Aug 24, 2012
  4. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Pretty cakes! I love the 'firework' style toppers :)

Here is our cake, we had fruit, carrot, lemon and chocolate tiers, and chocolate cow cake pops. My husband wanted cows and ducks on the cake.

Considering how big the cake was we had hardly any left. The only bit that was left was half the carrot cake that hadn't been cut and was put in the kitchen, I think if it had been out then that would have been eaten too.

IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1663.jpg

Helen, Aug 24, 2012
  5. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

We plan at the moment to give our wedding cake out as our dessert as we're just having an evening only reception, so I'm reckoning they'll be none left by the end of the night! In fact I bet there'll be some that don't get any! We've catered for enough but some will have more than one, some wont have any as they don't like it, etc. At Chris' brother's wedding they cut the cake and passed it around, but me, Chris and his parents, possibly even his Grandparents got left out!

MrsGroves2B, Aug 25, 2012
  6. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Popple I love those mice! I have some made of that plasticine type stuff (I forget what it is called) to go on a cheese I'm doing for a wedding fayre. Did you have much cheese left over?

Helen, Aug 25, 2012
  7. MrsGroves2B

Frogbitch

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:240]

Here's mine. Black and white with red dragonflies.

Frogbitch, Aug 25, 2012
  8. MrsGroves2B

MrsBrown

We had a cutting cake to try to avoid this, much much cheaper than an extra layer on the cake as they don't worry about it being iced nice etc. in the end they cut up the cutting cake (sponge) and bottom layer of cake (fruit) and we had a small sponge are left over.

MrsBrown, Aug 25, 2012
  9. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

We've thought of a cutting up cake as well, but will decide closer to the day what we want to do.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Aug 25, 2012
  10. MrsGroves2B

MrsC2Be

I'm really excited about our cake.... we get to go and see it on Thursday before they box it up for delivery on Friday. We went a little bit crazy with the theme part of it.

We've gone for vanilla sponge - I don't like fruit cake and Neil didn't want any fruit cake that his Grandma hasn't made, apparently it's amazing (I still don't like it). The bottom layer is white and the top two layers are joined into one to make the Mad Hatters Hat and will be purple with a green ribbon. On top we've got a teapot with a dormouse poking his head out. Also on the cake we'll have the Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit and loads of other characters and stuff from Alice in Wonderland. Can't wait to see it!

MrsC2Be, Aug 25, 2012
    Avid Thinker, Becky, MrsBrown and 2 others like this.
  11. MrsGroves2B

MrsBrown

Your cake sounds amazing.. I wouldn't want to cut it!

MrsBrown, Aug 26, 2012
  12. MrsGroves2B

ThisKissx

I would like a 3 tier cake. Bottom layer fruit, middle layer victoria sponge, top layer chocolate.

Not too sure on design as of yet but i guess this needs to be sorted soon..

My mum is making our wedding cake as she is a cake maker :D Saving us a few £'s.

x

ThisKissx, Oct 28, 2012
    gildius and Becky like this.
  13. MrsGroves2B

MrsBrown

Awww how nice that your mum can make the cake :)

MrsBrown, Oct 30, 2012
  14. MrsGroves2B

MrsLBD2B

My mother's friend is doing mine. I want 3 tiers and for some reason I have always fancied a polka-dotted cake! I did want cupcakes but these are so expensive!!!! My older sister is going to do me some and all I have to buy is the ingredients and I am going to give these as my wedding favours. She has offered to make little cake boxes to put them in as well... she got the creative gene!

Great pics by the way. And love the idea of having cupcakes in cups! So sweet.

MrsLBD2B, Oct 30, 2012
  15. MrsGroves2B

ThisKissx

Yeah it's lovely. Will have that personal touch on it :) x

ThisKissx, Nov 4, 2012
  16. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

I've always wanted a 3 tier too, thinking of having it heart shaped. I've seen a couple of designs I like. I love watching Ace of Cakes when it was shown on Food Network and now on Really and loved the look of the red velvet cakes. Not sure what they are like though.

nikster1987, Nov 8, 2012
  17. MrsGroves2B

MisplacedBrit

Ours is going to be a three tier cupcake stand, with a small cake on the top for cutting. We haven't yet decided on flavours, though I do have a few ideas for design. I'm also a lucky girl who has a friend that is going to make it for us. She literally is going to charge us for ingredients and nothing more.

MisplacedBrit, Nov 8, 2012
  18. MrsGroves2B

koodle

were getting friends and family to make cupcakes for us, then were adding little picks to tell people who made them and what flavour. I like the idea of getting everyone involved, but love the designs of some of the wedding cakes, there really pretty. Our cupcakes will be the buffets desert for the nite doo

koodle, Feb 24, 2013
  19. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Love the cupcake idea and having everyone make one and put a tag on it!

We paid off our wedding cake on Saturday, got to have a look at a photograph of the one we're having, there's just a couple of changes we're having to ours, but I really can't wait to see the finished result! We even had a slice of the sponge cake each- they sell slices of different cakes and when we asked how much they were he said just take some, you've just spent £175 on a cake, I'm not going to worry about a couple of slices of cake! They didn't have to tell me twice! Hehe!

I think out of everything for the day the cake is one of the things I'm most looking forward to seeing, and obviously seeing Chris in his suit standing waiting for me at the altar at the church, and me in my dress! I don't normally do dresses but I can't wait to collect my dress now!

MrsGroves2B, May 14, 2013
  20. MrsGroves2B

Doreen Guido

I truly love a sweet heart kind of cake,I came across it when I browsing the album of my friend....

Doreen Guido, Nov 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question