Wedding Album...where To Start?

Discussion in 'Weddings Abroad' started by MrsMay2011, Oct 2, 2011.

1. MrsMay2011

MrsMay2011

Since it is nearly 6 months since we got married I thought it is about time we got some wedding pictures actually printed out! We've had the disc from NYC for a while but haven't yet printed any to display, or made an album.

Tonight I'm going to select which photos to get printed/use in album, which bring me to my question....

Has anyone else made/ordered their own wedding albums separately, as opposed to having it done as part of the photographers package? If so what did you do, are there companies online or did you buy an empty album and print off the pics? I know you can get photobooks printed online, but I'm not keen on those for the main album, I want something a bit more special but.....not too expensive lol.

Because we got married abroad we sort of skipped the whole wedding album discussion so I'm not really sure what the options are. What have other 'destination brides' done?

MrsMay2011, Oct 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsMay2011

MrsBoucher2B2012

i am doing my own album, i will be getting an empty 12x12 wedding album from craftsuperstore and then printing out the pictures and making it all pretty. they cost between £15 and £30 depends on what make you go for

MrsBoucher2B2012, Oct 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsMay2011

MrsC2Be

Most likely think we're going to print our own, our photographer does a deal about getting them all put on disk, works out cheaper to print our own.

I have a couple of photographer friends - one uses a professional print studio somewhere down south. It could be expensive, but I can get details if you want. They are proper professional quality, great paper etc these are what he uses for his clients too. Another friend has just started up and is more of a budget option photographer - not for the fact her photos are crap (quite the opposite) but because they never own the copyright to anyone's photos and don't charge the earth for printing. On the whole, people choose to print their own with them, but if they want them doing, my friend tends to use Jessops to print them and the quality is great.

You can get photobooks done online, but I'm not always convince - the photos don't always look good. If it was me, I'd buy a lovely photo album and print them off myself.

MrsC2Be, Oct 3, 2011
  4. MrsMay2011

Helen

We had photos from both our destination wedding and UK reception copyright free. I also chose not to have albums done by them. I did consider doing one of the online photobook thingys and having it made up, but in the end people were asking to see the photos and I thought it would be quicker to buy an album and have them printed off and put them in myself.

I bought two albums that took 50 large (I think 10 x 6 or similar) photos each and put our favourite 50 photos from Canada in one and our 50 favourite photos from the reception in the other. I decorated the albums myself as I couldn't find any I liked (having the bigger size photos meant I had almost no choice of album) and I also stuck the photos in with little stickers so they didn't fall out the side when people look at them. I'll take some pictures of the albums and try to attach them.

I also printed off a whole load more at a smaller size and had a couple of extra albums for those, I haven't decorated those at the moment, I may just leave them plain.

It was quite good fun doing it, I still alter them now and again and add a bit more decoration when I feel like it!

Helen, Oct 3, 2011
  5. MrsMay2011

Helen

Oh I had my photos printed at Boots, they were ok, I had a bit of bother as I had problems with my usb having too many photos on the first time I tried and the lady in the first shop was very unhelpful. Second attempt at a second branch of Boots with a new flash stick thingy and only the photos I wanted was better, until I tried to collect the photos and then they wouldn't let me have them as I was breaching copyright even though I had copyright free images and most of them were my holiday pictures! They wanted to call my photographer and check they could give them to me, but when I gave them a Canadian phone number they got all stroppy and said they couldn't ring abroad and had to call head office etc etc etc. Eventually I caused a long enough queue they let me have them.

My reception photographer actually had given me paperwork saying the images were mine so when I took the reception photos to be developed I took this with me (a third branch of Boots this time) but they never even asked!

Normally I would take my photos to Klick (who I don't think are called that anymore) as I think the service is better and the photos are slightly cheaper than Boots, but I can't find a local branch near here.

Also a note of warning, since I had my photos developed at Boots a lot of branches have had their in house photo processing taken out and replaced with the Kodak (?) service, which is more expensive and doesn't give a lower price for larger quantities of prints. At least this is what my mum found when she took hers to be done, she then went elsewhere and had no problems with the copyright or anything.

Helen, Oct 3, 2011
  6. MrsMay2011

MrsMay2011

Thanks Ladies,

I googled photo printing just after I wrote that and Photobox came up with an offer of 60 free standard size prints, so I ordered that as...why not. Plus ordered really big prints of 4 of my fave pics and got some lovely silver frames for them, including postage the photo printing cost just over £4. The quality seems good - to my eye no discernible problems there, but I have noticed it chopped the edges of some of them. Something only I'd ever notice except in the group pic where one of the guests is cut in half!

So I guess I'll go out and buy a nice wedding album and stick them in! Obvious really, don't know why my brain tries to over-complicate these things... :-/

MrsC we got 2 small photobooks printed for the mums afterwards, which they love and they're ideal for passing round (ie them showing off at work!), but I agree they're not what I want for the 'main' album.

Helen I bet your album with the big pics looks brill - go on put up a photo! What made Boots decide they were copyrighted? Just because they were wedding pics and everyone knows normally the photog. keeps the copyright?

Thanks for your input peeps x

MrsMay2011, Oct 8, 2011
  7. MrsMay2011

Helen

I've tried posting the pic a couple of times but have had no luck. Comes up saying server error in the attach files box. Have checked and the file size is ok. I can't use the advanced uploader my internet connection isn't good enough.

Good news about your photos though! I noticed in the group pictures a few people were chopped off, I keep meaning to get those ones redone.

Helen, Oct 10, 2011
  8. MrsMay2011

Becky Administrator

That's odd, I've not had any problems here. Could you try uploading a picture to the gallery instead? Once it has been uploaded you can add it to a post by clicking on the 'My Media' button. Let me know if you're still having troubles though.

Becky, Oct 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question