Vhc's Wedding Thread

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by vhc, Sep 6, 2010.

1. vhc

vhc

Hello all!

We still haven't got the photos back from the photographer (we get a disc when we get the album)

However, because we are so unusual and weird, we got our story in our local paper! :) :lol:

here's the link - enjoy!

(i promise all the proper story/report will come soon, but got t get round to it.... :) )

ps: if the story's gone by the time you read this thread - it's on this page too

vhc, Sep 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. vhc

vhc

I know the picture you want to see most is the cake, though.

[​IMG]
    organ

[​IMG]
    cake

:)

vhc, Sep 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. vhc

vhc

[​IMG]
    close-up

vhc, Sep 6, 2010
  4. vhc

ilovepink1984

Wow, the article is a great keepsake and its lovely. Sounds like you had such a fab day - especially the belly dancing! Congratulations. Can't wait to read the report in your own words and see lots more pics.

P.S. the cake looks fab!! xxx

ilovepink1984, Sep 6, 2010
  5. vhc

vhc

sorry, forgot to say - it was made by Sriyani Summers: her website

(she's the wife of a colleague of Ian's and she's brrrrrrilliant)

vhc, Sep 6, 2010
  6. vhc

Mrsg2b2011

Aaah hun your cake looked amazing!!! Love the fact you got an article in the local paper too. As Soph said it is a lovely keepsake. Congrats can't wait for the full report! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Sep 6, 2010
  7. vhc

vhc

i'll get on it soon, i promise!

vhc, Sep 6, 2010
  8. vhc

poppleminster

ooooh am saving the pics link for later when Ben is at work and I can have ice-cream too :) yaaaaay

poppleminster, Sep 6, 2010
  9. vhc

MrsBrown

love the story, how personal and unique. We really wanna see pics though please.

MrsBrown, Sep 6, 2010
  10. vhc

vhc

it'll have to be tomorrow - i'm going home now!
    I promise i'll start typing the report tomorrow.

vhc, Sep 6, 2010
  11. vhc

I'mAJones

Wow, your cake was a complete work of art and it must have taken hours to make. I agree with MrsBrown2b - we need pictures!

I'mAJones, Sep 6, 2010
  12. vhc

vhc

Here we go then....

As you all know, it started in disaster on the Friday (6th)
    Parents and Katherine had arrived on Thursday, and we planned to get all the food from Costco on Friday morning - which meant that we had to do it all without sister as she hadn't yet arrived.
    so, off we set. it was lovely and quiet, traffic-wise on the way up to Lakeside and we had a lovely drive.
    got there. I got a leeeetle teeeeny bit Bridezilla-ish because my dad was insisting that we didn't need as much food as we were piling into the trolley.
    everything we bought i thought, we need more, we need more - we were catering for 200 people! i reckoned we had enough for about 100!
    anyway, I got dragged off by Katherine who said that it's parents' problem if there's not enough food and they'll have to dash out to sainsbury's during the reception.
    dad has a thing about food that isn't "normal", so i'd chosen lovely food like croissants and Baklava, humous, guacamole etc, and he's going "no-one will eat this kind of food!"
    anyway, told dad that he only needed to pay for as much as he wanted to, and that if we choose more than he was willign to spend that we would pay the rest, and not to worry.
    I also dragged Ian off to the frozen section so i could buy a catering pack of veg samosas and onion bhajis (hmmmmm)

So on the way back, we saw that the road was very busy, and when we got to the roundabout where we exit lakeside and join the motorway, it was closed and a huge barrier across while they cleared the bridge.
    which took 3 hours.
    we had the traffic news on and they told us that a lorry had burst into flames and it transpired that the heat had melted the tarmac on the QE2 bridge, so they had to close the bridge, eventually turning all the traffic round and diverting them under one of the dartford tunnels.
    so all that traffic - north and south-bound, having to go through the tunnels.
    and we'd goone early so that we didn't hit any traffic! ;) B) :lol:

surprisingly, for my family stuck in a car for 3 hours wasn't that stressful - there was me and Ian, mum, dad and Katherine, all stuck in the car - no arguments, no raised tempers! i suppose we all figured there was nothing we could do and just get on with it!
    we decided that Katherine and I would try to find a Macdonald's on the retail park and get us all some food (and so we could use the toilet! we didn't mention that part to those stuck in the car....)
    when we'd ordered the food, we got a call saying that the traffic had started movign on the bridge and we panicked that we wouldn't get back to the car in time.
    but we did, because they didn't up the barrier for another hour.... :)

we were okay once we'd got our food! and at least we knew that we'd be okay.

so we got back to sittingbourne at about five-ish, after being convinced that the rehearsal (booked for 6:45) wouldn't be able to go ahead, because the only ones there would be the vicar and the best man!
    we had loads of work still to do in the church before rehreasal - laying out tables, putting up bunting, that kind of thing. we had to make sure all the food was in fridges and freezers dotted around - we used the ones in church house, our house, the shop, and Ian's mum's house!
    we'd agreed that Ian would fetch 2 of the choir (we had choir practice after the rehearsal) and i would go in dad's car to get one of the others. then he appeared at 6:40 with his liftees, and he said "have you got D?" i was all "what time is it? are you kidding,. i didn't realise!" and had to dash off with my dad to fetch her!! :eek:

so, we eventually got the rehearsal underway, which was soooo weird - the vicar wanted to run through all the walking around and procession etc too, and as we were standing by the font, my friends from nottingham appeared - they were quite frantic, but were using my shop to store stuff, so they needed the keys. then they were going to bed (2 of them under 9yo), so didn't come back for practice.
    so, we did the walking down the aisle, ian up at the organ, then he came down to me - Anita (vicar) said that he should stop and pause and take his time, because obviosuly, other grooms would have been watching the bride walk down to him, and he would miss that part.
    and we did the vows, (part of them!) which was very strange, because how many weddings we'd been to, and watched it, but it felt sooo very different doing them ourselves. especially because we were told to say them really loudly after her saying them really quietly.

then we had choir practice, and my mum, dad and sisters sorted out the rest of the buffet stuff (but not food, of course) -

i can't quite remember what happened at the end of the evening - i assume Ian took all the liftees home - i know i went to see Kris and robin (the kids were asleep by then) and hung around for a little bit.
    i think ian went into the church for a last minute practice...

then we went home. we'd agreed that we would stay together for our last night, as it's Ian's house, and i had nowhere else to stay (i would have had to pay to stay at the premier inn, and i think it would have been too much stress to be around my parents!!)
    we had a little drink (we intended to go to sleep early, but it was more like half 11 before we went to bed!) and off we went.

end of first post.
    (ow, my fingers hurt from typing already!!)

vhc, Sep 7, 2010
  13. vhc

vhc

ooh, sorry, that's really long. ;)

vhc, Sep 7, 2010
  14. vhc

vhc

okay. some pictures.

as you know, we weren't really bothered about flowers - they're very pretty, but not an "important" part of the wedding.
    so the flower ladies at church did our flowers. (they were going to anyway!) we were asked what flwoers we wanted, colours etc, but we really didn't mind, so we told them to choose for themselves and as long as it was bright, then it would be fine with us (we mentioned a couple of previous arrangments they'd done saying they were lovely)
    and we gave a £30 donation to costs for them.

here they are: we had one pedestal under the hymns boards, one vase on the altar, and a pedestal over the crypt (we were signing the register in that part of the church and the buffet was also round there, so it wasn't hidden!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is a picture of the church from the nave.
    the cushions on the floor were our "base" - normally, weddings have blue cushions (hassocks) with a dove holding wedding rings - they're lovely, but so very overused to us! so we spent ages combing the church for hassocks that more suited us, and we went for the ones that had music on - you can just about see the design.
    [​IMG]

and a picture of The Lady Chapel, where we set up to sign the register.
    (i particularly wanted the throne!)
    [​IMG]

vhc, Sep 7, 2010
  15. vhc

vhc

ooh, just realised you can see the "normal" wedding hassocks at the end of the choir stalls!

vhc, Sep 7, 2010
  16. vhc

vhc

ooh, found one ofthe bunting - might find a better one later....

[​IMG]

vhc, Sep 7, 2010
  17. vhc

MrsC2Be

Love your newspaper article. That's a brilliant keepsake :) That cake is amaaazing :)

MrsC2Be, Sep 8, 2010
  18. vhc

vhc

ta.

So, Saturday 7th August

The big day.
    I hardly slept a wink through the night!
    We got up at about 9, decided we needed a lie-in.
    and it was all sweet because we kept going "i'm going to marry you today!" to each other

Vicky stayed outside (in her van) overnight, so she knocked us up, and we parted our ways - we needed to do so many errancs, and of course, i can't remember anything of those now!

We had to fetch food from various places, Ian had to go to Sriyani's for the cake, we had to meet up with family etc etc etc.
    It was such a mess!
    because, of course, we had lost those 3 hours on Friday, everything was rushed and I was convinced nothing would get finished.
    Before we left the house, we put all the frozen food in the oven to cook, but it wouldn't brown - Vicky was on hand to read the instructions, and we pasted them all with milk to help it along.
    Then we turned off the oven so that they could continue heating, and so that we could do our stuff.
    Vicky and Katherine were absolute bricks the whole time - putting stuff out, fetching carrying, pandering to my every whim :lol:
    Vicky's last task was to fetch the food from the oven at about 12 o'clock and all the stuff from Ian's mum's fridge as well.

Meanwhile, noone could find my ring! Ian had his ring, and i'd hidden mine, so they didn't have a clue as to where to find mine (in case of burglars, see, we kept them separate!!) Ian didn't think he was allowed to talk to me, but thankfully Vickey was at the house and rang me to find out where it was!
    Phew!

Katherine went off to have her hair done professionally - I don't trst anyone with my hair, so I opted not to. (think I wish I had, because my hair is always such a bloody mess that it falls out almost as soon as I've styled it!)
    I stayed at the church to do the pimms and Lemonade.
    I had to cut loads of fruit - cucumbers, strawberries, lemons, limes. Well, I thought that I didn't want to be faffing around, so I used a serrated knife - thought it would be quicker! bad mistake - I managed to cut my finger! and worse than that, because it's a serrated knife, the cut's always a lot "better" than a normal sharp knife - it cut really quite deeply and there I was POURING blood down onto the chopping board!
    My sister had some kids' plasters, so I was trying then to cut fruit with a plaster on going "please stop bleeding, please stop bleeding!"

Anyway, mum and sis were making sandwiches and laying out food on platters, we're all doing this.
    and they had to leave the church at about half 12 to go back to the hotel and get ready.
    so, I started panicking, because there was still loads to do and I hadn't got time to get ready.

Anyway, I was persuaded to go to the shop to change (was changing upstairs)
    this was just after half 12.

Everyoen and their dog seemed to be in the shop, and it was quite nice getting ready, because everyone was fussing round me! actually, they were mainly telling me to calm down, and what did i want to eat and drink etc.
    so I mainly said things like "tell me what I need to do now!"
    "make me some food, I don't know what! you choose!"
    I miss being a princess that everyone fawns over :) :)

[​IMG]

this picture has probably got me going "what am I supposed to be doing now??"

I had to paint my toe and finger nails - toes not a problem, but fingers were a nightmare becuase I couldn't not touch things.
    (even my sandwich!)
    so Kris took over my fingers! (after having goen to the 99p shop to get nail varnish remover)

my hair was a mess- i had washed it on Friday, but it was still floppy and flyaway, and although I scraped it back, and put leave-in conditioner in it, by the time the head band had gone on, and put on again , it was all falling down the side! it looked okay, but it really did look scraggly - it didn't help that it was stupidly windy, too!

I put a tiny bit of make-up on - just a bit of shadow, mascara and lipstick
    the everyone left to go to the church and i was left with Katherine, dad and Katie (although dad took a lot of persuading that he wasn't to go to the church with my mum etc, but was supposed to go with me!!!)

Anyway, my big sister had spent a couple of weeks showing Katie (the little bridesmaid) pictures of Katherine, and explaining that she would be walking down the aisle with Katherine and should hold Katherine's hand etc, that when Katie met Katherine, Katherine put out her hand and without shyness or fear, Katie grabbed hold of it! it was so sweet! and all day, she would hold Katherine's hand!

These are the pictures of us walking down to the church from the shop...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the reason i'm running is because i could hear the organ, and I wanted to check whether we were okay to enter the church!

picture of Katie:

[​IMG]

and of the rest of us

[​IMG]

L-R, dad, Katie, Megan (shop girl), me Katherine

posed photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dad with my shoes (because I walked down in my normal shoes, because I didn't want to risk falling over!!)

[​IMG]

and the photographer went "now, if you can just look at each other" - I really hate posed photos, so we pulled faces at each other! it's one of my favourite pictures of the wedding!

[​IMG]

vhc, Sep 8, 2010
  19. vhc

vhc

meanwhile, in the church, Ian was playing and everyone was gathering.

what i hadn't realised was, because everyone was ready, we'd set off and got to the church before Ian had even started playing his Vierne!
    (he played Final from Organ Symphony number 1 (or something...) by L Vierne before the service.)

so we went into the tower and everyone was "we're not ready yet"
    and went and pressed the record button on the mini-disc recorder (which was a waste of time, it happens, as for some reason it recorded an hour of silence - I think the jack plug had become dislodged - i didn't even think to check it, just pressed record (i had other things on my mind....))

pictures of the bits I couldn't see: (taken mainly by Megan)

[​IMG]

(this is Nigel playing before Ian's bit)

[​IMG]

Anita talking to the kids up front

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the Vierne piece - see that waiscoat? I made that! :)

vhc, Sep 8, 2010
  20. vhc

vhc

eh? what did you do?????

vhc, Sep 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question