Venue Ideas :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by poppleminster, Nov 20, 2010.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

I'm naffed off. Hugely. Every time I think I have it sussed something goes wrong.

1. Booked gorgeous group rental holiday home - she quadrupled the price when she found out was for a wedding reception
    2. Found unbelievable idyllic village hall - planning permission granted for them to build a housing estate in the grounds which would be hell.
    3. .Look at gorgeous cantoneign falls. They are stopping self catering in 2011. I get married 2012.

What do I do now? I hate and can't afford the hotel option. All the village halls within 20 miles are either closed / turned into houses / being sold. No gold / tennis etc clubs suitable. Farms all way over priced (more than a hotel).

All I want is a nice small rural place to hold a reception for 40 self catering. It can't be that hard can it? I can't be the only woman to have such a requirement in Devon. I so have my heart set on my round tables with my big teapot and bucket displays, my teasets and my vintage cake stands and plates. I have the carafes for the ginger beer and the rustic glasses. I just need the venue.

It'll be there somewhere. The venue of my dreams, inexpensive and sitting there begging for my custom. I just need to find it!

poppleminster, Nov 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Hi Popple,

I am no where near you so not sure, but did you ever see that epispde of dont tell the bride where he hired a teepee tent thingy? you would still need some land but just an idea

MrsBrown, Nov 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

loveandmarriageweddings

Hi Poppie,

It's a shame you haven't found anything just yet. Where are you located, I gather near Cantoneign Falls? Are you looking to hold the ceremony and venue in one place or for just a venue?

I am a wedding planner based in Plymouth and I know of the most adorable exclusive use venue, which is ideal for that country chic look that your after. The prices are very very good, the only thing is they have six rooms, but there is alternative accomodation locally for your party guests.
    Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Jessica Dunwoody

loveandmarriageweddings, Nov 20, 2010
  4. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

Hmmm that's a tricky one... are there any restaurants or tea rooms nearby that will let you do your own catering?

Failing that, seek out someone rich with a gigantic house, become their best friend, and hold the reception at their country mansion :)

Becky, Nov 20, 2010
  5. poppleminster

poppleminster

Oh to have a friend with a big country garden!

Jessica - thanks, I live in Exeter and have booked the Haldon Belvedere for the wedding so am looking for somewhere for a reception but very informal and relaxed and most importantly pituresque. I was looking for the perfect Dartmoor stone remote village hall but they just don't exist anymore. It has to have space for people to be outside, not remotely near a main road and with lovely views. I know that I am fussy but that's me all over!

I looked into tearooms and relinquishing control of some of the food but they want so much to charge for what I want and wont do exactly what I want. I am baking some hams and having a cheesecake and home-made traditional english cakes - madeleines, battenbergs, spiced scrumpy apple cake etc. I am happy to make this myself as I am only having 40 guests. I am used to catering for that many through my hobby feeding large groups of roleplayers.

To do even remotely what I want, I have not been quoted less than £18 per head! Not including the cake and cheesecake. I am such a control freak that I really don't trust anyone else to do a decent amount of food or the same quality as I do myself. Lots of my guests are large eaters - roleplayers always are!

I've fouind a farm we can hire the barn of but it's not a nice one and has no views other than an industrial farmyard and carpark.

I am on a low budget so really can't afford the venue prices quoted by hotels etc, especially not when they wont do what I want.

Apologies for being a grump. I have so much sorted, just need the venue.

poppleminster, Nov 20, 2010
  6. poppleminster

airy_fairy

A friend of mine had her evening wedding reception on a boat out of exmouth (i think... she's from exter, I'm sure i could find out for def. if yu were interested) is that a possibility?

airy_fairy, Nov 20, 2010
  7. poppleminster

Helen

I love the idea of a boat! Taking all the food as a picnic would be fab.

Have you tried church halls as well as village halls? Sometimes they are more bargainous than village halls. What about hiring a showground or park? Some of those might have bandstands or the like that you could seat people in and loads of outdoor space. Masonic lodges maybe? Racecourses?

Maybe take out a wanted ad in your local paper, you never know some eccentric soul might offer you their garden, maybe someone who wants some good publicity? Offer them a donation to a charity of their choice for their troubles?

Is there any way your venue that is stopping self catering would let you self cater if you book now?

Helen, Nov 21, 2010
  8. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

Oh Becky [​IMG]

What about the beach, or just a local park .. just go take it over as a big giant picnic?

Can you hire a marquee and ask a farmer if you can borrow a field?

What about national trust houses in your area? or trust gardens?

I will get looking again for you, see if I can find anything you may have missed or overlooked

x

Mrs T2B (Kel), Nov 21, 2010
  9. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Hi, I got married in a national trust place, you think that would make it cheaper but oh no!! Because many are listed buildings, they have lots of rules on preferred suppliers etc. I cant say it is the same for all, but ours was afairly unknown venue and it all applied. We had to use 1 of their caterers and had the choice of 2 florists, 2 photpgraphers etc etc.

Have you had any more ideas?

MrsBrown, Nov 21, 2010
  10. poppleminster

poppleminster

The day is saved :)

I called the little village hall that i'd loved so much and.... they have managed to block the planning permission for the gardens so the hall and little lane & gardens are safe from development for a few years yet!

We dashed over there today and it's so lovely. Perfect stone hall, wooden floor and beams and totally rustic. I cried like a right girlien girl in the car on the way home. I wish my mother could have seen it as it's truly gorgeous.

Even madder... Ben's parents came with us and offfered to pay up to £2000 tpwards our wedding. I cannot imagine anyone helping, even the idea is odd to me. There is only one issue.... we can now bring forward the date to 2011! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OMG time to diet, I have under a year!

poppleminster, Nov 21, 2010
  11. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Popplemaster that is fantastic, what is the date now??

Can you bring the date forward with the ceremony too (drrrrr I hear you cry otherwise it wouldnt be a wedding!!! )

MrsBrown, Nov 21, 2010
  12. poppleminster

poppleminster

Well... will possibly be as early as June! Got to contact the registrar. GULP :)

Attached Files:

poppleminster, Nov 21, 2010
  13. poppleminster

MrsBrown

exciting exciting exciting!!!!

MrsBrown, Nov 21, 2010
  14. poppleminster

Mrsg2b2011

Oh Popple that s just wonderful news!! I am so happy for you! You so deserve all this bless you xxxxxx

Mrsg2b2011, Nov 21, 2010
  15. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

That is brilliant news and completely deserved!! YAY!! :D :D :D

Becky, Nov 22, 2010
  16. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

wow that is great and so unfair at the same time, i still have until 2012 to wait.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Nov 22, 2010
  17. poppleminster

iPrincess26

Yay!!!! So glad fingers crossed the registrar is free!

iPrincess26, Nov 22, 2010
  18. poppleminster

MrsMay2011

Hooray hooray hooray! That the BEST news!!!

MrsMay2011, Nov 22, 2010
  19. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

excellent news, you already know I'm pleased for you :D

btw 10th July yeh?? ;) :D :D

Mrs T2B (Kel), Nov 22, 2010
  20. poppleminster

poppleminster

I am so freaking out now. I have sop much to do! The politics have started and I am stressing over invites etc... aaaarrrrggggghhhh

poppleminster, Nov 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question