Venue - Did You Just Know?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by MrsH, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MrsH

MrsH

Hello!

We are currently venue hunting and have been for a while now, and so I am curious to know about other people's venue hunts.

How long did it take you to find your venue?
    Did you fall in love with it / just know it was right? Or did you find one that ticked all the boxes but gave it the 'wow' factor yourself with decorations?
    What made you decide on your venue?

Thanks!

~MrsH

MrsH, Jul 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsH

Becky

We spent a few months looking into venues before we went to see any. When we went to see them (we picked a selection and kept it quite broad) we just knew that one of them would be perfect. I didn't get the same feeling from the others - unfortunately it was the most expensive one though!

We were lucky that it didn't require much decoration - it was a barn so it looked lovely as it was. Aside from flowers on stands (which later doubled up as table centres) we didn't add any other decor.

For us, the most important thing was a relaxed and fun day, which is why we opted for the barn. The people who run it are lovely too which always helps!

Becky, Jul 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsH

iPrincess26

HI and welcome to the site - We thought we knew which venue we wanted straight away but were but off completely by the service we received from some of the staff after that we looked at very few - we had certain pre-requisites that for us the venue had to have we then chose a place that we visit often and have never been disappointed in, we are having very few guests but wanted to give them the best we could afford, sorry I know that isn't much help!

I would suggest sitting down together and having a think about what you want from a venue, then looking for places that meet those ideas!

iPrincess26, Jul 23, 2012
  4. MrsH

Helen

We looked at a couple of venues in the UK in person and looked at loads online and soon realised that we didn't like any of them.

Once we decided to go abroad and chose Canada we were told we could choose our actual ceremony location the day before - that worked really well for us as we got to drive about and choose the spot we wanted.

For our UK reception we chose the venue based on the location, the fact we could do everything we wanted (own caterers, own bar, own decoration etc) and it being the closest place we could find that would let us do this and was hugely cheaper than a marquee. (and we could fit all my husbands guests in!)

Best advice I could give on venue hunting - decide your main priority but still view a selection, you may find you want to compromise on something you weren't originally going to compromise on. If that makes sense! :) Our main priority we soon discovered was to have an outdoor ceremony and that really narrowed down our options.

Our priority list went something like this: -

Ceremony
    1. Outdoor location
    2. No guests!
    3. No religion

Reception
    1. Willing to let us do our own thing with our own suppliers
    2. Size and space for lots of guests
    3. Local to our home

Obviously every couples priorities are different, try making a list with your husband to be and see what you come up with...

Helen, Jul 23, 2012
  5. MrsH

winter ash

we started planning and looking into venues in jan time...

we had a few in mind and went to view 4 out of them.. the one we finally chose was not in the list of choices it was compleatly out of choice due to us thinking it was going to be really expenses and we couldnt afford it..

i fell in love with one out the four which is just litearlly 5 mins down the road to the one we have chose.. it turned to be that the one i fell in love with was way too pricey so off the chance we went to breadsall priory owned by Marriot.. we went in spoke to a lovely lady and she gave us a tour there and then and brouchures and then gave us a price she went away to let us think she came back apologising that she gave us the wrong price and knocked off £750 off it :) VERY HAPPY..

Over all i dint like breadsall priory at all i loved morley hayes but after going to see it second time i warmed up to it and now i love i was pushed into it by my mom and MOH but i need persuasion sometimes.. Im so glad i love breadsall now and i finally see how it fits into my theme and colours and hopefully with the atmosphere too :)

Hope you find the one :)

winter ash, Jul 23, 2012
  6. MrsH

MrsBrown

I thought I didn't really care, a hotel room would do me... How wrong I was. We looked at a few online, but hubby said lets go look at this venue. I wasn't convinced as no accomodation. Oh my..... I went to look and fell in love!!! I didn't even see inside the barn we were just drove into the car park. We went onto look at other places and I want intrested!!!! When we actually got to look in the barn and gardens it just made me love it more... Then if foudn out the cost opppssss!

We made our own decorations. I made bunting ( I know other people have too). We kept it quite simple apart from that, flowers on the tables. For favours I had little bars of choc tied in rafata. We named our tables after areas of garden and garden theme took over.

It was really hard to choose but I am sure you will know. Think about our budget and go look at places that fit in, as others have said what is important most. Big wedding but compromise on venue or small wedding with a diff venue??? Don't go look at places out of your price reach as others will only compare and remember cost doesn't always equal better, you can do amazing things whatever your budget!

MrsBrown, Jul 23, 2012
    winter ash likes this.
  7. MrsH

Frogbitch

I had a very clear idea of what I wanted, but originally had no budget, so looked online at lots of alternatives.

When we finalised our budget, I found that most of the venues we liked had a minimum guest requirement that was too high for us, so had to be discounted there and then. (Downton Abbey included!)

We only actually viewed two places in the end. Highcliffe Castle was lovely, but would have been open to the public during the wedding, and didn't have onsite accommodation.

That left Rhinefield House. A historic building with extensive grounds, onsite accommodation and the four star rating to satisfy my inner snob (I blame my mother). My first choice all along as I had fond memories of visiting there for a cream tea years before. It was also important to me that the reception was to be held in as few rooms as possible. At my first wedding, the bar, disco and seating area were all separate, and the guests ended up dividing into "camps".

Thank goodness for weekday discounts, as we would never have been able to afford it otherwise.

Frogbitch, Jul 24, 2012
  8. MrsH

MrsC2Be

We started by having a scout around on the internet to see if anything caught our eye - it meant that we could discount places that were too expensive for us before we went along to view them. I think I'd have been gutted if I really wanted to get married somewhere but knew it was way out of our league.

We came across The Hunting Lodge at Adlington Hall so decided to go along for an open day - we fell in love with it straight away and it is definitely right for us. The lack of accommodation was a downside for us and that is something we've compromised on and arranged for the wedding party to all stay in the same hotel about 5 minutes down the road, so in the end not that big of a deal. We wanted somewhere we could stay all day for both ceremony and reception (a lot of guests aren't local, so we didn't want people traversing the countryside finding different places) and have exclusive use of.

MrsC2Be, Jul 24, 2012
  9. MrsH

MrsH

Thank you everyone, your responses are really helpful!

We went to look at one for a second time last night and think we are going to go with it (Leeds Parkway Hotel) - it ticks all of our "must have"s and some of our "would like if possible"s too! I think I was worried because you don't necesarily walk in and say "wow", but then it will look completely different once it is all done up.

We found one that we really liked, but due to various things we didn't trust the wedding coordinator to do what she said she would, which really put us off. The wedding coordinator at Parkway seems brilliant, and we already trust her and I think that is very important - I don't want to spend half my time worrying that things won't get done!

We have looked at pretty much all the venues in the area that will fit our guest numbers and are within our budget, so I was starting to despair - I'm so glad to have found somewhere I feel positive about!

Winter ash - it was good to hear that you weren't sure at first - I am very indecisive so am unlikely to decide that somewhere is "the one" with no hesitation the first time I see it, glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

Thank you all!

MrsH, Jul 24, 2012
  10. MrsH

Becky

Yay I'm really pleased for you that you've found somewhere! :) Let us know what your date is when you've booked it!

Becky, Jul 25, 2012
  11. MrsH

MrsGroves2B

Our ultimate favourite reception venue was absolutely beautiful and we really wanted it, but it was sinply too expensive on our budget. We wanted it as cheap as possible and simple really, but this one place really was prefect if it had been cheaper! We said if we win the lottery we'll book it! Hehe!

As we're having an evening only reception we decided to look for the nicest room at the cheapest price possible, and we have a function room at a pub on the outskirts of the countryside. Its £6.50 per head, £100 room hire and £130 for the DJ (DJ and room hire is the deposit), so based on 120 adults we worked out the whole cost would be £1010. We've been there before for celebrations and its been nice, and the room looks gorgeous! We're getting married in church though, so the church service is priority for us, and as we attend church every week, are both in the choir, both on the PCC and are ex churchwardens we knew exactly where we wanted to get married, and knew we'd get the date we wanted!

Go with what you want and what you can afford. At the end of the day you'll have a fantastic day wherever it is, and its you, your future husband and your friends and family that make the day overall, and you get the same marriage certificate anywhere you get married, and you all celebrate at the end. xx

MrsGroves2B, Jul 31, 2012
  12. MrsH

ThisKissx

When we first got engaged I thought to myself there is only place 'the kinmel manor'. It's just so popular for weddings. I didn't want what everybody else has I wanted to be different.

I googled venues and The hotel came up...I thought to myself this is just my dreams and never even considered it as it was just so lovely.

We went on to view other venues and etc and was close to booking a venue...

Me, my mum, leon and dad went to a wedding fayre at the hotel i found and my mum and dad fell in love and my dad paid the deposit a week later :)

It's in a hotel yes....
    BUT
    the views from the function room are amazing as it is right on the quay harbour with a sea and mountainous (sp?) view.....
    It's got its own bar, very flexible, own toilet and just yeah it ticked all the boxes for me :)

x

ThisKissx, Oct 29, 2012
  13. MrsH

MrsLBD2B

For our wedding next August we started searching for our venue in March. We looked at so many hotels and all were lovely but I kept thinking back to both my sister's weddings. They both had church weddings followed by a village hall reception. They were both wonderful days and I loved how informal and relaxed they were. So we booked our local church for the service and are having our reception in the hall where we held our engagement party. I have hired a local decoration company to decorate the hall to my specifications and we have hired a disco and photo booth for the reception entertainment. My fiance also wants a hog roast and my aunt is doing us a massive buffet. I wanted something simple and I believe that is what we are getting! Also due to my strict budget a hotel/venue reception was getting expensive.

MrsLBD2B, Oct 30, 2012
  14. MrsH

MrsBrown

We had a hog roast at our eve do, it was ace and went down very very well! Only trub was I was a veggie at time and didn't get to eat it!!

MrsBrown, Oct 30, 2012
  15. MrsH

MrsLBD2B

Oh no! Thats a shame, I can't wait to tuck in. I was a bit dubious about it at first but I think as our wedding is in the middle of the summer it will be perfect for our reception.

MrsLBD2B, Oct 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question