Trying Dresses On Alone..

Discussion in 'Wedding Fashion' started by SnugglesGirl, May 8, 2010.

1. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Hi Lovely Ladies...
    I am going to my second wedding dress shop tomorrow...on my own with no opinions and advice and no mum/family etc....hoping that I dont look like a complete saddo to be honest....this shop is out of the area for my family and I have chosen to go there to specifically try on 2 dresses that I have seen online....been to the first shop with my mum and booked a second appointment with my mum for next weekend but just a bit worried that the ladies in the shop tomorrow wont take me seriously as I am on my own and I wont have any opinions/advice....on the positive I am more than happy going anywhere on my own....think you have to be in this day and age..[​IMG]

SnugglesGirl, May 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. SnugglesGirl

MrsBrown

Hi,

I am sure they will understand/ be used to situations like this. When I got my dress, there was a lady on her own, we just told her how gorgeous she looked instead :) If you find your dream dress you can always arrange to go back with someone. Good luck.

MrsBrown, May 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. SnugglesGirl

bridetobe200910

It is hard doing things on your own. I have chosen the cake, flowers, my jewellery all on my own cos my Mum lives too far away.
    I am sure they willl take you seriously especially if they know how far you have travelled.
    Also their experience and opinion is invaluable - mine came up with a great idea to alter the dress to my liking without me saying anything!
    Good luck, hope you find the One!

bridetobe200910, May 8, 2010
  4. SnugglesGirl

Becky Administrator

I agree with MrsBrown2b, I'm sure they'll be used to it. Which two dresses are you looking at? It's good that you've got a second appointment booked with your Mum, as it means that even if you do see something that you love you have time to think it through and then get a second opinion.

Hope it goes well today - you'll have to let us know how you get on! xxx

Becky, May 8, 2010
  5. SnugglesGirl

floatylight

I don't think there's anything wrong with going by yourself, we're all pretty independent now :D. You'll know deep down if you like the dress or not, so you can always make another appointment at a later date and bring someone else along for advice. :)

floatylight, May 8, 2010
  6. SnugglesGirl

MrsApplen2be

I agree with the other girls think its fine to go alone even if they think your a saddo they wont tell u that TEE HEE!! :)

Also you have to wear the dress on the day so in some ways its better you go and not be swayed by others opinions should be what you love x

MrsApplen2be, May 8, 2010
  7. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Thanks for all the advice girls....well I survived the shop on my own...although I did get a very nervous feeling when I got there....second shop I have been to and chose it to specifically try on 2 dresses......
    One of the two was Sottero and Midgeley and the other was Ellis 11032....
    I ended up trying on 5....and come away really liking/loving 2....(not sure if I know they are the one)

The dresses are Sottero and Midgeley ASM3158...Tried in light gold but probs would go for ivory..
    The second dress was Ellis 11125...not the type I wanted at all but loved it on me.....

So after 2 shops....I have 4 dresses that I really like/love.....and dont know where to from here....
    The other 2 dresses are Romantica of Devon - Morrocco and Benjamin Roberts 966

Got another shop booked next weekend but getting really worried that this list will grow and I wont be able to seperate my like/love for any one in particular.....arrggghhhh...I know I am not the only one in this position (heres hoping).....has anyone else not quite felt "the one" but loved quite a few?
    [​IMG]

SnugglesGirl, May 8, 2010
  8. SnugglesGirl

Becky Administrator

Glad it went well! I've just had a look at those dresses, and I think my favourite is the Sottero & Midgeley one (I was going to abbreviate that - that would have been a mistake!!)

Here's pics for everyone:

Sottero and Midgeley ASM3158

[​IMG]

Ellis 11125

[​IMG]

Romantica of Devon - Morrocco

[​IMG]

Benjamin Roberts 966

[​IMG]

Becky, May 9, 2010
  9. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Thanks so much for putting the piccies on for me.....I still havent grasped that part!
    I would probably agree that out of the 4 the Sottero and Midgeley dress felt great on and probably felt like it was worth a lot more money...I also think its looks the best on the photographs although the piccie is light gold and I would be quite tempted to go for the Ivory if I ordered it....a little disappointed in the model photo of the Romantica dress as this looked so much better on than it does on that photo....not saying I look better than the model..haha...

Going to try a third shop this weekend and see how I fair after that.....Dont think there are any more dresses that I have seen on the internet that I feel the need to try on so will be very open minded in the next shop....I do however like Justin Alexander 8196 but not sure I want to actually hunt it down....we will see......

Thanks for the advice and piccies [​IMG]

SnugglesGirl, May 9, 2010
    vhc likes this.
  10. SnugglesGirl

MrsApplen2be

The romantica one is my fave in the pics....just to throw that out there.

And I am one of those brides loved lots never had the OMG ITS THE ONE kind of feeling. All the dresses I loved were different in shape and style so in the end I told a dress shop all of my favourite parts of a dress the fact I liked A line for its simplicity, a sweetheart neckline and a corset back and didnt like too much fuss but didnt want none. In the end they found me and A line dress with a sweetheart neckline a corset back and enough bling to keep me satisfied with the most amazing train i'd seen and I was in love. x

MrsApplen2be, May 9, 2010
  11. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Funnily enough that sounds like the kind of dresses I have been trying..A line with a sweetheart neckline and wanting a corset back even if it had buttons and some detail without too much.....
    I would say from the 4 piccies.....I think I would be torn between Sottero and the Romantica....thats for now..until I go to another shop this weekend and frustrate mysef even further...haha...
    Great to hear all your views...[​IMG]

SnugglesGirl, May 9, 2010
  12. SnugglesGirl

Beckickles

I love trying on dresses on my own and I've always been taken seriously. I don't actually like going with other people, and I just tell the person there that's why I'm on my own. I find appointments on my own very relaxing and enjoyable and I feel I can really get into the mood of it all. When I'm with others I'm more bothered about what they think about the dress and to be honest, the opinion of the women in the shop and the next customer is enough for me.

It might sound hard and impersonal but I've just had a really bad time planning my wedding/s.

I like the Ellis Bridal 11125, but my best friend has picked that for her wedding so I'm bias! Out of the pics my favourite, as Becky picked, is definitely the Sottero one ASM3158. [​IMG]

Good luck this weekend!!! Let us know how you get on! xx

Beckickles, May 10, 2010
  13. SnugglesGirl

ilovepink1984

Hey there. I don't think there is anything wrong with going dress shopping on your own but personally I would be way to shy to do this. My first dress shopping appointment was a nightmare because they kept asking all these questions I didn't have any answers to and I hate talking to new people plus I have body issues after having 2 children and HATED getting dressed by a random woman! Got easier after that and the shop I have ordered my dress from are lovely and make me feel so relaxed. Out of the pics I like the Sotterro and Midgeley but I LOVE Benjamin Roberts dresses - Biased though as I have ordered 2118!!

LOL Becky - abbrieviating Sottero and Midgeley. Unfortunately those are the initials of me and H2B - Sophie and Mike. We were thinking of getting our initials iced onto our favours but we wither have S + M or M+S?! Tough choice?!!

ilovepink1984, May 10, 2010
  14. SnugglesGirl

vhc

ilovepink: why don't you have your new surname (if you're taking it!) entwined with the two.

so if it were Jones then the initials on the favours would be SJM or MJS....
    [​IMG]

vhc, May 10, 2010
  15. SnugglesGirl

Helen

All 4 of those are lovely :)

I can't decide either, I started off liking 2 and now I'm up to about 6 lol :D

Helen, May 10, 2010
  16. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

The more I look at the dresses and remember them on me I would love the top of the Ellis......with the middle of the Sottero and the bottom of the Romantica....
    I think I want to customise everything I see and dont know if thats even possible....think the Ellis 11125 would be even lovlier if it had a slight hitch to the skirt.....I am an absolute nightmare..haha!!
    [​IMG]

SnugglesGirl, May 10, 2010
  17. SnugglesGirl

Becky Administrator

Tough choice - either you look a bit kinky or you look like your wedding has a corporate sponsor!! I agree with vhc - could be a good idea to incorporate the surname...!

Becky, May 10, 2010
  18. SnugglesGirl

Beckickles

Go for kinky, all the way - stick a bit of black damask on your stationary and twirl your letters round each other :p hah! [​IMG]

On a more sensible and virginal bride note, definitely incorporate the surname.

Spoil sports.... could have had leather ties on your flowers and put the men in stockings... to hell with it, go for a Rocky Horror themed do [​IMG] [​IMG]

Beckickles, May 11, 2010
  19. SnugglesGirl

Becky Administrator

Ha ha! [​IMG] I love it!

Becky, May 11, 2010
  20. SnugglesGirl

ilovepink1984

Ha ha, love it!! I'd love to go with a kinky - ish! theme but can you imagine the look on my 75 yr old grandmas face?! Hilarity!![​IMG]

ilovepink1984, May 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question