Toastmasters

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by jojo, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jojo

jojo

I am considering hiring a toastmaster for my wedding ceremony and reception. My venue does provide one but I assume they will be the duty manager who only announces us for the ceremony and for the meal, so won't be dedicated to us. I I like the idea of having someone who is there solely for us and ensures everything runs smoothly, assists the guests and is our right hand man, they also dress in the smart red tailcoat and look great. Is it worth the extra expense? has anybody hired one? any opinions or advice appreciated :)

jojo, Dec 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. jojo

Debbied

Please read my blog post on the subject: http://wedding-wonders.blogspot.com/

Debbied, Dec 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. jojo

jojo

Thanks for your response, I have read your blog and it seems like you have everything under control. I was always under the impression wedding co-ordinators were a lot more expensive. In comparison to a toastmaster you seem better value for money. This has been very insightful thank you.

jojo, Dec 16, 2010
  4. jojo

Debbied

I'm glad you found it helpful. When and where is your wedding?

Debbied, Dec 16, 2010
  5. jojo

jojo

14th July 2012 in Leamington Spa at Ashorne Hall so early days. They provide a co-ordinator and toastmaster but not sure what that entails. Each part of the day is in a different room so need to be able to manage the guests discreetly without losing them I am a bit of a stress head so need to be able to switch off.

jojo, Dec 16, 2010
  6. jojo

Debbied

If the hotel provides a toastmaster and you don't get charged extra, then you might as well use them! Hotel co-ordinators usually aren't a lot of help on the day as they are often managing more than 1 function and that's if they're actually there at all! 90% of them work Monday to Friday and then your wedding will be looked after by an 'operations' manager.

I don't work in your area so I have nothing to gain by saying this, but in my honest opinion, if you want to know that everything will run smoothly and you will be able to switch off, you need to hire an On The Day Co-ordinator.

Debbied, Dec 16, 2010
  7. jojo

jojo

I will have to enquire what service they actually offer on the day. We are the only wedding that day so thats a bonus so there should hopefully be no distractions. Thanks for your feedback.

jojo, Dec 16, 2010
  8. jojo

Helen

We have two best men so one of them will be taking the role of toastmaster. Have you got any friends who would be confident doing it? We are pretty lucky as both of the best men are very confident (and very good) public speakers. I like the idea it is so much more personal :)

Helen, Dec 18, 2010
  9. jojo

Becky Administrator

There are a lot of different people who claim that they are what's best to keep the wedding running smoothly, so I guess it depends what you are looking for! It you want someone doing a more visual role that will add another dimension to the wedding, then a toastmaster could well be the solution. If you are looking for behind the scenes assistance, then some form of co-ordinator may be better.

We're not hiring either, but only because our caterer takes on more of this role herself. She is extremely organised and seems very capable of keeping guests in order! (she is tiny and blonde, but I wouldn't mess with her!!):)

Becky, Dec 19, 2010
  10. jojo

jojo

i think because the whole day is in one venue and we are the only wedding, the staff will control the day but I like the idea of a Toastmaster (visually). I won't be having Ushers so he will take on the role and earn his fee! Mind you if I have to feed him too it could prove more costly [​IMG]

jojo, Dec 19, 2010
  11. jojo

Frogbitch

We didn't have enough guests for a toastmaster to be included in our package, but the hotel coordinator was great. He made announcements as needed, dealt with the late arrival of some of our guests, and was helpful without being intrusive.
    I loved the idea of a toastmaster, but it would have been a bonus rather than a necessity.

Frogbitch, Dec 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question