'there's Too Much Glitz In Modern Weddings And It's Putting Marriage At Risk'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by May2010bride, Aug 5, 2010.

1. May2010bride

May2010bride

May2010bride, Aug 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. May2010bride

LoubieLou

my cousins cost this but that included a honeymoon in Mexico x
    My other cousin in Ireland cost more I'm sure. Her parent's re-mortgaged the house. and 3 years on they have split.

LoubieLou, Aug 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. May2010bride

Mrs Moggie

Wow thats about 3 times the cost of my wedding and it still feels like we're spending a fortune!!! I may print the article and show my h2b just how thrifty I can be and maybe he will think me deserving of presents! lol

Mrs Moggie, Aug 5, 2010
  4. May2010bride

Frogbitch

Ugh, I hate that rag.

Frogbitch, Aug 5, 2010
  5. May2010bride

LoubieLou

My wedding is costing about £1200 lol I wouldn't and couldn't dream of spending that much!

LoubieLou, Aug 5, 2010
  6. May2010bride

Frogbitch

Well I am spending something near to that amount, but I don't see how that lessens my view of marriage. I am making big sacrifices to celebrate finding my soulmate, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I have been married before, and I'm fairly sure it was the discovery of my husband's mistress and child that killed the marriage,;) not my choice of shoes.

Frogbitch, Aug 5, 2010
  7. May2010bride

MrsC2Be

And people think we're spending a lot. If that's the average price, that means that some people must be spending like double that, because there are a hell of a lot of people that aren't spending anywhere near that.

My parents didn't have a big flashy wedding when they got married and they got divorced before I started school - what's he gonna blame that on?! Yes, we're spending a lot of money on our wedding, but most of that is to feed Neil's mahoosive family, because we want to be surrounded by people who care about us. Let me guess, families are falling apart these days too......

MrsC2Be, Aug 5, 2010
  8. May2010bride

MrsBrown

I agree mrs C2b. I think that people can get carried away and forget about the important bit of getting married but i dont think its the cost that is the issue. I do think it is sad when people feel they have to get into debt to have a huge wedding though.

Our wedding is a bit expensive, but that is because of the catering. I made my own invites, bunting , menus etc, we have nt gone for an expensive cake or extravangant favours or gifts, but were having a good meal and a party was important to us and we have family and freinds traveling from away.

Having said that if I needed to, I would marry my H2b in my pjs with our close family and friendspresent if I needed to. We are just so lucky that we dont have to.

MrsBrown, Aug 6, 2010
  9. May2010bride

MrsC2Be

And me.... I often contemplate sacking the whole thing off and going to the register office in my flip flops!

MrsC2Be, Aug 6, 2010
  10. May2010bride

Mrsg2b2011

I don't agree for one second that it is the cost of marriage that kills itm no way. If you are right for each other you will stay together simple as that! My 1st marriage I was 18 my family didn't know & it was in my local registry office. It fell apart and it prob cost less than £100. It fell apart as I had VISA stamped on my forehead :angry: I was silly & nieve but I lived & learned. Marks 1st marriage cost about £12k & again fell apart as they didn't love each other they just got married as its what everyone thought it was what they should do.
    Yes there are bides who spend all the money & time thinking about themselves & lose the focus of why they are getting married. I read a story once of a couple who spent 2 years & a fortune planning their wedding & discussed NIOTHING else. They were married for 6months. They didn't know what to talk about after the wedding so if paople are like that then yes it is set up to fail but spending £20k or more makes no difference. Our budget is £8k & I am happy with that. Yes would love to be able to spend more but then I love baragin hunting so its all good lol xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Aug 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question