Thank You Cards, When Is The Right Time To Give?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsT_2be, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Hi girlies,

Hope you all having a nice weekend so far? I need a little help please!

I'm planning to give out my "thank you cards & gift" day after my wedding. Is this too early? :wacko: We've hired a luxury holiday home ( our venue) for a weekend in North Norfolk. We all live in Essex, only a couple traveling from further afield. I didn't quite get a C in my English so could anybody help me on a some wordings please! :blush: My guests will be given a little gift for "their trouble of travelling about 100 miles" to our wedding weekend.

Any tips, much appreciated!! xx

MrsT_2be, Jul 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsT_2be

MrsBrown

I waited until after honeymoon. I made my own and wrote something personal in each one, nothing too long just thanking them for their gift and saying what it was, or if they gave us money what we intended to do with it. I literally made small folded cards, stuck some thank you ribbon on it and wrote inside, but we did put a little pic inside each one too. No fancy words just a nice individual message to the guests ( some of ours travelled a long way too).

I would def wait to thank people for their gifts, otherwise it might seem like you already had them printed and just handed them out randomly. Plus how will you know who gave gifts etc dont want to thank someone for giving you a gift who didn't!!

As for thanking them for coming, we just included in the other card so again that was sent after the honeymoon. Personally I would just thank them face to face and then send a card later with a more personal message. I thinkif I was given a card the day after a wedding, i would think its just some random card that everyone had as I know the bride would have done them before as she wouldn't have time! A card, with just short message later would be more personal. Does that make sense?

We also used it as an opportunity to tell people we had a lovely wedding and honeymoon and your follow up party is still part of your wedding really? Just my opinion though.

MrsBrown, Jul 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsT_2be

Helen

We received some gifts before our wedding so those people had thank you cards before we actually saw them at the reception. I sent the thank you cards as and when we had gifts. Afterwards I had written all the cards within the week but some took a while to be sent out. The ones we sent before said looking forward to seeing you rather than thanks for coming, also some were from people unable to attend so those had different wording again.

I think Mrs Brown gives some good points, so maybe consider those before you decide what to do.

Helen, Jul 15, 2012
  4. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Thanks for the advise!

MrsBrown you've made a good point there. Other thing is we have not given out a gift list as we don't need anything, also we have given a poem that says:

" We haven't got a gift list, for all of you to see,
    Because as you all know we never can agree!
    But if you'd like to help us, start our married life,
    gift of cash would save a lot of strife! "

I hope the poem doesn't sounds like we are asking for money but only if they like to. The little gift are for guests who we've invited to stay with us for the weekend. I shall give them their little gift day after as planned.
    As for Thank you cards, I shall leave it a couple of weeks, as we're not going on our honeymoon till 1st October.

MrsT_2be, Jul 15, 2012
  5. MrsT_2be

Becky

I'm a bit late to this, sorry! I agree with MrsB and Helen, I think it would be better to send the cards out a few weeks after the wedding. Wording is entirely up to you - it doesn't need to be fancy or detailed, so just write what you want to say :)

Becky, Jul 16, 2012
  6. MrsT_2be

Helen

Where are you going for your honeymoon?

We didn't have a gift list either. We had a mixture of people giving us cash gifts, gift vouchers and random items; which was great fun! If we hadn't gone and got married abroad we would have asked for honeymoon contributions, but as we had already been by the time we did our UK reception that was a bit impractical!

Helen, Jul 16, 2012
  7. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Your not late for this Becky.. still got umm think 7 weeks to the wedding so still got plenty of time to give me advise :p

MrsT_2be, Jul 16, 2012
  8. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Hi Helen,

We are off to Cyprus for 9 days. My h2b and I never been so it will be great to go somewhere we've both not been and it's our honeymoon so it'll be special. ^_^ I can't wait!!

MrsT_2be, Jul 16, 2012
  9. MrsT_2be

Helen

Sounds fabulous!

Helen, Jul 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question