Started On Our Wedding Cake!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Helen, May 26, 2011.

1. Helen

Helen

I've made all the orders for sugarpaste, chocolate icing, cake boards and dowels etc today, it has cost £270 so far and I've not even started on the actual cake ingredients yet eek!

After spending all morning drawing and working out sizes I now have a design to follow so watch this space! :)

Helen, May 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

muckypaws

flippin eck Helen ! sorry cleanest thing i could think of ha ha ........MIL 2b is making ours :) Im just icing it adding ribbon and flowers and i thought ................£270 that sounds a lot then I added up in my head the bits ive bought for ours ......personalised ribbon ..... flowers..... icing...... money for the ingredients and brandy...... nice box .......board ......and flippin eck Helen ha ha ha doesnt it add up :D

muckypaws, May 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

MrsC2Be

I'm excited to see cake pictures :D I'm avoiding cake after I did nothing but eat for a week on holiday. Boo to no cake :)

MrsC2Be, May 26, 2011
  4. Helen

poppleminster

Is sugarpaste the same a sugargum? I have a book with the instructions for sugargum roses but have no idea where to get the stuff. The book is amazing - it's called A Zombie Ate my Cupcake. Look it up on amazon and you can see the inside, it's truly awesome for any mother with a boy! I also got the most amazing book about Jelly and am amazed at what you can do. I am opting to make flaming jelly this weekend! Jelly you set fire to and it doesn't melt. Awesome. I love odd cookery books!

xxxx

poppleminster, May 26, 2011
  5. Helen

Helen

Flaming jelly?! How do you make that?! I really want to go and make a jelly now and see what happens hahaha...

Sugar gum as far as I am aware is the same/similar to sugar paste. I've also heard it called pastillage and candy clay depending where you are in the world!

If it is a book about making flowers I would make them with flower paste as that sets harder than sugar paste. You can also get mexican paste and that is a cross between sugar paste and flower paste!

There are also loads of people making chocolate types of sugarpaste, I'm going to try a new choc paste by Tracey Mann when it arrives...

All these can be bought online or at your local cake craft supplier, there is normally one in each town. You can also make all these types from scratch if you wanted to, recepies are about online for different sugarpastes and chocolate plastiques that you can combine with sugarpaste.

Right, I'm off to make my hen party cake now, mmmmmm!

Helen, May 27, 2011
  6. Helen

Becky

£270? Wow that's a lot! I feel guilty for thinking wedding cakes were overpriced now if that's the cost of what goes into it!!

P.S. Just had a look at 'A Zombie Ate my Cupcake' on Amazon - looks amazing! I love the picture of the multicoloured cupcake :D

Becky, May 29, 2011
  7. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

i am just starting on my daughters christening cake, i have never made anything with more than one tier so it could be interesting lol.
    Trying to do a two tier square cake bottom tier carrot cake and top tier chocolate cake, decorated with edible butterflies and chocolate cake alphabet blocks with her name on. Any tips?

MrsBoucher2B2012, May 30, 2011
  8. Helen

Helen

As long as you put lots of dowels through the bottom cake to support the top cake you should be ok. Carrot cake is a good choice for a bottom layer as it is nice and firm and stable. Do you have a guide on how to dowel and stack cakes? There are lots about on the internet it is worth a look if you have not done it before as they will guide you step by step.

Are you travelling the cake to a venue or having it at home? If you are going to travel then if you can avoid stacking the cake until you are there that will save you worrying about traveling with it stacked.

One thing people often don't realise is you need to put the top layer on a board the same size as the cake rather than putting the cake directly on top of the bottom cake.

I would say it was best to make the butterflies and any other decorations at least a day or two before you want to decorate it so that they can dry. Cut out the butterflies and dry them over the corner of something like a breakfast cereal box so they dry with their wings bent as if they are flying (hope that makes sense!). You can make the decorations out of sugarpaste although they will be firmer and less likely to break if you use flower paste.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything else :D

Helen, May 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question