Special Dietary Requirements...

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Helen, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Helen

Helen

Did you ask on your invites if anyone needs different foods?! We didn't, I assumed if someone knows there is something they can't eat that they would tell us? My oh is quite intollerant of vegetarians and even more so of vegans (being a dairy farmer he likes people to eat a lot of dairy lol) and none of his friends would dream of giving up meat. Some of my friends I know are vegetatian and our main course is a grab a plate and say want you want as you go along the buffet so they are easily catered for by having the same minus the meat but I guess I'm just worried there might be people there who can't eat what we have chosen?

Helen, Apr 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Helen

MrsBrown

We did, but we had a set meal and the caterers needed to know who were veggie etc. They just gave out the plates, I wanted this as at another wedding I went to, people said they were veggie and took the real veggie's meals!!

Another friend had a buffett style and there were lots of choice of meat and veggie, some people who eat meat prefer the veggie stuff too, so I am sure it will all be ok.

Maybe worth checking with your caterers that they do intend to have veggie options available just in case. Also make sure fish is not classed as veggie option!

Whats your starter? we had a veggie starter so no arguements there ha ha!!

MrsBrown, Apr 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Helen

Sarsaparilla

If it's a buffet style meal it should be ok but I'd speak to the caterers and check what veggie options there are - even people who do eat meat might not like the particular meat options and might prefer a vegetarian option instead

I'm lactose intolerant so if it was me, I'd want to have the option of dairy free - not by choice tho!! I guess if I wasn't asked I'd assume there was something I'd be able to eat.

Sarsaparilla, Apr 17, 2011
  4. Helen

ElmoGrace

We are having a set menu, when the invites go out they will receive a copy of the menu with a note that if anyone is vegi, vegan or have dietary requirements to call us and we can arrange an alternative meal. This is partially because I know a lot of my friends are either particular about food, through religion or choice, and because I know there can be some very obscure, unexpected allergies or intolerances. As proven by my inability to eat glucose syrup and gelatine.

ElmoGrace, Apr 17, 2011
  5. Helen

Sez

Ours is a set meal too so had to ask really as the venue needs to know. If i was having a buffet i wouldnt of bothered to be honest

Sez, Apr 18, 2011
  6. Helen

Sarsaparilla

I think it's only fair to ask if people have an issue - what if someone has a serious allergy, nut allergies can be really bad and it'd be mean not to cater for something like that

Sarsaparilla, Mar 18, 2012
  7. Helen

Helen

If someone has a serious allergy or intolerance then I would expect them to contact me and say so. You can't expect people to know what your allergies are and as there are so many it would be impossible to provide a meal that suited everyone.

We didn't ask in the end and I had two people ask if there was going to be a vegetarian option and one ask what food there was going to be as her toddler has quite a few allergies. As we had a buffet there was loads of choice for everyone. In fact people are still coming up to us 9 months on and saying how good the food was and how they loved the way we did it. :D

Helen, Mar 18, 2012
  8. Helen

Sarsaparilla

We're just putting one line on the RSVP, 'If you have any special dietary requirement please let us know........ ' and then people can reply, it's the way I always do it for work conferences, I'd rather know than someone tell us the day before because they assuemd we knew :)

Sarsaparilla, Mar 19, 2012
  9. Helen

MrsBoucher2B2012

We included a line for dietary requirements on our RSVP's because sometimes people just assume we know

MrsBoucher2B2012, Mar 19, 2012
  10. Helen

MrsC2Be

we realised after we'd posted them that we left this off.... eeeek!

MrsC2Be, Mar 19, 2012
  11. Helen

MrsGroves2B

[sub]We are adding a little note at the bottom of our invitations a small note saying to include on their RSVP anyone in their party that has special dietary requirement/food allergies, who it concerns and how they can best be accomodated.[/sub]

[sub]We have one guest with severe food allergies that we are aware of, our God Son and Usher. He'll be 12 on the day so he is fully aware of what he can and can't eat, likewise his parents and Grandparents (his Mom is my Maid of Honour and his parents are my Godparents). He is allergic to wheat, gluten, egg and egg products. He only has to touch a piece of normal bread and then pick up his own sandwich made of special wheat and gluten free ingredients and he's ill. We spoke to the venue and they are prepared for him to take his own food in if he wants. Closer to the day we will speak with his Mom and find out what is the best option for him, and we pay towards his food if needed and she can get whatever he needs, or there may be food there that he can eat. Apparently as he's getting older he's starting to get tolerent to certain foods he couldn't eat before so it sounds like, in a way he's growing out of it.[/sub]

[sub]Otherwise, in our party I think its mainly the odd vegetarian and some people that are Diabetic, who mostly control their own diet and tend to eat whatever they like in moderation. The venue has vegetarian options for their buffet so its not so much of a big deal really. Our only concern was the severe food allergy sufferer.[/sub]

[sub]Speak to the venue and ask how they can cater for vegetarians, etc. If you know anyone with food allergies mention it to them and say what's needed to help them, most places should be able to cater, or at least allow you to take food in for that person.[/sub]

[sub]xx[/sub]

MrsGroves2B, Jul 30, 2012
  12. Helen

MrsGroves2B

The other thing you could do is on the RSVP's you receive, just write a little note, text, call or email them to double check about allergies. If you call or text usually a response is given there and then (unless obviously they don't answer the telephone call). Its an extra little job, but it gives some reassurance if you're worried.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jul 30, 2012
  13. Helen

ElmoGrace

I asked - as above - but then there are further complications. Things you can't foresee. One of my best friends was diagnosed with a Inflammatory Bowel Disease and is still working out what she can and can't eat! And then there is me - who has been referred to a dietician for my IBS so I still don't know what I will be eating on my wedding day!!
    You can never be too careful in checking with people.

ElmoGrace, Aug 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question