Social Networking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrsGroves2B, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Just wondered what peoples' view were on Social Networking, in particular Facebook?

I am a regular user of Facebook I admit. I do also have a Twitter and LinkedIn account, but those are purely for work related things and not for a social thing.

I admit, I write random rubbish on Facebook (doing the cleaning, etc), maybe even saying Happy Birthday, anniversary of a death of a family member, things like that. I add photos, mainly of my cats really but there are some others too. What I do put on is not offensive or insulting at all.

I think its a fantastic thing to have- I can keep up-to-date with family members that I don't see often, find out what old school friends and acquaintances are up to, etc. However, if there is a problem it can escalade!

I've recently suspected issues involving stirring up trouble from my MIL for a bit. I even had to block her once because I was sick of it all, to then get accused of ruining a family holiday because of blocking her for accusing me of airing my dirty washing in public (which I never do) when the whole status was about me doing some cleaning and Chris helped! But anyway, I commented on a family member's status saying, keeping it short, that their priority was themselves, their husband and new baby boy, its not that they don't care about or love their family at all but their focus should be on themselves and their baby boy- MIL told Chris I said I don't care about family, and he had to say read it again, and said "oh." Its not the first time- just picked at what I've said and turned it into something I've not said or not read everything I've written. I had suspicions that either she was spying on my page or what I've written (she doesn't go on there as a daily basis so they wouldn't particularly appear on her news feed every time she logs in (not saying it never would, but just not all the time), or someone else was reading my things and passing bits on to the MIL (suspect the sister-in-law but got no proof so wont accuse), who then either reads what she wants to read and takes what she wants from it, or not given the full story. I have no shame in what I say, nothing to hide, that's what its there for, but spying and twisting what I say to something else is something I don't appreciate. I wouldn't mind so much if I said something in a positive tone but its read as a negative because you can't hear the tone or see a facial expression, but its not.

Well, commenting on a family member's (I've met once) status about photos being put on Facebook that can be tracked by perverts and thieves (which is something I've spouted on about in the past- in fact I still have a video link on my page from August about how uploading photos from your phone onto Facebook can be traced if you have the location settings turned on on the phone, and said I didn't want photos of our children when the time comes to be put on Facebook), and defended her decision to ask someone to remove a photo of her baby boy from Facebook, saying if you don't want photos on there then that's your choice. I did say people do it in all innocence because of a proud moment, special occasion, someone they love, etc, but if I politely asked someone to remove a photo of my child I'd expect them to respect my view and do so, likewise if someone asked me to do the same I'd respect them and do so. All of a sudden I'm slagging someone off I don't know (which I didn't do) and MIL and sister-in-law have argued against the girl that put the status about asking someone to remove a photo. That someone turned out to be the baby's Grandmother and she took it offensive and blocked her and her own son because of it. All I did, as you could tell if you read it, was defend the decision of not having photos on Facebook of your children, because its something I strongly agree with and said since about August time that I didn't want photos of my children on Facebook as you don't know who is looking and what they could do with the photos.

So, I got to the point where I thought I've had enough, its not worth the hassle anymore. I was stuck on the next move though. I didn't want to delete Facebook completely because I have family members I don't see often on there who I keep up-to-date with, but didn't want to block people because it would cause arguments in the family (like the time I blocked MIL nearly two years ago) and its not fair on Chris to be in the middle. So, I have decided to set my Facebook so that Chris's side of the family are now restricted on there. They are not blocked but can't see what I put on there unless its set to public. I keep all my settings as private and so only friends can see, so everything is now set for only friends except restricted. I noticed that all my photos were restricted too, which I didn't want so decided to set them so only I can see them until I can find a way of changing the photos. I'm hoping this will stop the stirring now. Its meant that because of suspected "spying" I've had to restrict some members of Chris's family that I didn't want to restrict so I don't get the "Becky says she's doing blah blah blah" to MIL and she says she didn't know, and they say I've put it on Facebook, and MIL goes on and see something odd, and then go back to Chris and tell him I've blocked them or whatever and cause a feud. However, I can change it at anytime and no one is blocked or been removed, they just can't see what I write or post now.

Anyone else had problems from social networking/Facebook?

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jan 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

MrsT_2be

Hi Rebecca,

How's married life?

Anyway, Facebook has its advantages and disadvantage as we all know it. For example things can get little out of hand like what you're dealing with.
    I've heard from friends and colleagues that people they know have their relationship/married ruined because their other half got back with an old fling thru Facebook. People have to remember it's not Facebooks fault it's down to "that particular person" to make the right decision to not it escalate.
    I work with 2 sets of husband and wife. One of the husband had an affair right under his wife nose in our work place for 6 months! The girl he had an affair with couldn't give a monkeys if he had a wife and a child.
    It's obvious they can use Facebook to chat privately. My poor colleague found out on the night of Christmas do (on Fri 13th Dec!!) at the hotel they stayed in, when she saw a "filthy" text from her staying also the hotel.
    I have relatives in different countries and it's a good way to keep in touch with them.

As Facebook now like you say you can control who can see what you post.

Good luck and hope things would calm down.

MrsT_2be, Jan 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Married life is fantastic thank you, hope yours is too.

I totally agree, its not Facebook's fault, its how users use it so to speak. I'm one of these that wouldn't want to cause or create trouble so when someone causes a stir it bothers me.

With restrictions set in place so far its worked a treat, but only time will tell.

MrsGroves2B, Jan 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question