Smooch Rings, Anybody Had Problems - I Have.. Grrr!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsT_2be, Aug 20, 2012.

1. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Hi all,

With less than 3 weeks to the wedding there's always something that don't quite go to plan. We ordered our rings from Smooch in early June and we asked for our rings to be delivered end of July.
    I received a with compliments 2nd week into July saying they are ready for delivery, ok emailed them and ask them to deliver for 21st July. Got a email saying "sorry the Ladies ring didn't pass quality control and it's being remade. Ok that's fair enough their on the case. I eventually got a text that i'll get them on 4th Aug.

Waiting for our postman to arrive and getting so exciting and when we got them I opened them... I was really disappointed to find that BOTH the rings "finish" wasn't right and the roman numerals (outside of ring) were not done by laser like the sample rings. So we went straight into town and posted them back. Sent them email and also asking them to please make sure the "finish" is correct, they reply yes they'll do that.

I received a text on the 13th Aug that I will recieve them on 15th Aug and we did. Yay they got the engraving exactly how we wanted it BUT I can clearly see previous laser engraving just to the left of VIII (must have been where they didn't line the ring up properly on the laser engraving machine) when they didn't cover it up very well at all! And the "finish" was only half the rings, half not on BOTH rings!! On my h2b's rings, we can see they've filled in the previous engraving where they've not done a very good job of where you can see the surface looks uneven!

Now this is getting ridiculous and really annoyed me!! :angry:

My h2b got on the phone at 9am next morning asking them what are they playing at to send rings in this stated. H2b manage to speak to head of sales and asked them who checks the rings, he said the workshop does and plus he eventually came clean that it's not Smooch workshop it's done by somebody elses workshop. My h2b suggest whoever checks the rings needs to go to Specsavers. I can't believe they would send out thr rings like that!

Sending them back for the 2nd time, we are promised that he will check the rings himself (head of sales). We asked him if he don't think the rings are not good enough, DO NOT send them but refund us asap! And we'll just have to use plastic rings because Smooch has messed up twice!! They have a huge range of rings but after so much errors, wish I never went to them. :(

If anybody are getting rings from Smooch you may have better luck than we did but good luck and hope you don't get as much problems as we did.

MrsT_2be, Aug 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsT_2be

Becky Administrator

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that! :( I hope that you get them through soon and that they are exactly as you want them. I've always heard good things about Smooch rings in the past, so I hope they sort this out for you.

Becky, Aug 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsT_2be

AmyC

Oh no, That is such a shame! Don't they realise that you's will be wearing these for the rest of your lives and would want perfect quality. I hope you get them in time.
    If you have requested them for a certain date and they are not there for your big day I would request money back as they did not deliver.
    I to had heard good things about Smooch Rings.
    Hope everything gets sorted for you love. :)

AmyC, Aug 21, 2012
  4. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

I read good feedbacks about them with a huge range of rings and you can do anything you want, I thought why not but I was the unlucky one. Having to send them back for the 2nd time it's getting ridiculous to be honest.

At the moment my ring is being made for thr 3rd time and h2b's ring made for the 2nd time. fingers crossed they'll come back perfect.

MrsT_2be, Aug 21, 2012
  5. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Our rings are being made again at the moment, their head of sales promised that we'll get the rings by 31st Aug. When we got the rings back on the Wed 15th Aug, seeing how bad they are I said to my h2b, tempted just get a refund and just go to Hsamuel. H2b said they should sort it out.

The quality to us looked like kids made it. Like you just said the rings are the most important part as you wear these for the rest of your lives. I prefer to spend a little more on rings than my dress which i did!

It's an anxious wait but i hope it gets sorted. I'll let you know the outcome on 31st Aug! :mellow:

MrsT_2be, Aug 21, 2012
    AmyC likes this.
  6. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Hi

Right, I have my rings... and they are finally done to how we wanted them. So relieved it's now sorted after been so stressed over another problem as well but that's also sorted.

Just the little things really then I'm done! :)

MrsT_2be, Sep 1, 2012
    AmyC and Becky like this.
  7. MrsT_2be

winter ash

Hi Mrs T

Im glad you got it sorted ive just literally sent my info off for an appointment and now ive read your post .

winter ash, Sep 5, 2012
  8. MrsT_2be

MrsT_2be

Hi, Well good luck with Smooch and I hope you won't get as many problems as we did!! checked my order sheet, we ordered and paid in full on 9th May 2012

1. First time we received our rings (4th Aug)-they said they were ready (1st wk of July) but found a fault and had to be remade but there were 2 faults on each of the rings. Sent the rings back the same day
    2. Left a voicemail to our sales advisor -he told us to contact him if there's a problem and never returned our call- really disappointed!
    3. second time we received our rings (15th Aug) -my partner checked the rings and said they were fab til I checked them myself I've found 2 faults on each of the rings again! my partner realise he wasn't looking at other faults -he only checked the engraving...
    4. He rang Smooch next day and sent it back. (16th Aug)
    5. We eventually being told both rings had to be remade and they will be in the post on 31st Aug. My h2b told them number of occasion NOT to call me but call my h2b and they still call me! my h2b is very annoyed that they can't seem to follow a simple request!
    And... FINALLY... We got our rings on 1st Sept and they are so much better than the 1st and 2nd they sent them. BUT....
    there's is a minor problem with my h2b's rings which can be sorted after the wedding. Is that we got the rings with roman numerals and his one should have dots in between the numerals just like the sample ring we saw!

Well there you have it on my shopping experience with Smooch that stressed me right out!!

We still need to send his ring back and then our rings will be now 100% which they should of done first they sent them.

Like I said, I hope you won't get any problems. And I hope I won't get any problems when we come to our rings need a repolish!

MrsT_2be, Sep 5, 2012
  9. MrsT_2be

JP Du Toit

We had a home visit from Smooch rings, chose two (his & hers) and then waited. We were very satisfied when they arrived but when I sent mine (his) to be engraved after our wedding, the ring came back completely different and significantly lighter in weight than the one I'd sent off.

** Alarm bells! **

Then followed numerous excuses from "management" - they initially blamed their external engraver for "losing" the original, amongst other fanciful stories - and I was sent no less than 4 inferior, underweight rings until, after about 3 months, I finally got one that was closer to the original weight but still substantially lighter.

We suspect that the engraver realised the value of the ring, so swapped it and sent back another one hoping we wouldn't notice and I now have a ring that wasn't the one we were married with, which is disappointing. Between delivery of the original and the return of the engraved replacement, platinum had shot up considerably in value...

You'd think we'd have had a heartfelt apology from Smooch, right? Not a sausage. Throughout the course of our exchanges, they tried to imply that we had made a mistake and that our estimation of the weight of the ring was incorrect, despite us having taken photos of the original one and getting it weighed by a local jeweller.

So there you go. One not-so-great experience of Smooch Rings.

JP Du Toit, Jun 15, 2016
  10. MrsT_2be

Eh88

Hi All,

I just wanted to advise you all about my experience with Smooch Rings - DO NOT USE THEM!!

I had a lady come round my house and I choose a ring I liked that need customisation to match my engagement ring. I was told that I would need to give my engagement ring then and there to the lady and she would send it to their head office. I was instantly not comfortable with this so said that I would arrange another time to provide her with my engagement ring. She took a third depot (£300) and left.

In the time after placing my order, I contact Smooch as I was very nervous and not happy at all with giving them my engagement ring and tried to organise alternative means of getting my ring to them, including me driving to their office some 1.5 hours away to drop it off, to be told that they would get someone to meet me round the corner! Again I was not happy with this as this person on a street corner could have been anyone!

I then asked if they could just use the measurements of my engagement ring to make my wedding ring, and they declined.

I have tried to ask for my deposit back and I have argued my points for asking for this refund and the owners have been argumentative and have told me I have "no foundation to cancel the order" and have not listened to anything I have said. I have stressed my concerns and their unwillingness to understand has lead me to loose my deposit!

Sorry for the essay, but I hope this helps out Brides!!

Thanks xx

Eh88, Oct 18, 2016
  11. MrsT_2be

Nicolak76

Hi Eh88, we are really sorry to hear of your problem with Smooch; actually you have got a foundation to cancel the order so our advice would be to contact Trading Standards and Citizen's advice.

To other forum users; we echo exactly what Eh88 stated and would strongly advise that noone use this company. We have had an awful experience that has only just been resolved when the threat of going to small claims became a reality for the company. see below for more details:

It's interesting that all reviews on the Smooch Scotland Facebook page are from customers who have yet to receive their rings therefore have not had the displeasure of dealing with this company in the face of disappointment.

We were enamoured with the idea of Smooch and found Ali charming and engaging. Unfortunately our entire experience has been nothing short of abysmal.

Ali arrived with a selection of rings; fairly bland with nothing outstanding or exceptional. We had seen a ring on the website that seemed exactly what we wanted; defined, classy and unusual. Ali did not have a sample of this ring but assured us that there would be another rep who would have it. She would; or so she stated, endeavour to have the sample sent to us if we placed our order and paid our deposit. Wanting a hassle free experience we agreed on the promise that if the sample arrived and we did not like it our deposit would be refunded without question.

After several text exchanges it was discovered that there was no sample available. Much to our delight It was agreed to have a sample made. We eagerly awaited the arrival of aforementioned sample excited about the prospect of seeing our future wedding ring. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. The ring was as bland as the selection brought to our house; it lacked definition and was not at all what we were expecting. In the absence of Ali, and as instructed, we immediately sent an e-mail to the company requesting our promised refund back. Our experience thereafter was appalling; the co director who happens to be the wife of the owner, clearly has no customer service training or understanding of what sample means insisting that we had received a bespoke ring. She questioned our integrity at every opportunity and told blatant lies to the third parties we had to get involved.

It has taken 6 months of several e-mails, 2 letters from Trading standards, a letter from a Citizen's advice Solicitor and finally a Small Claims Court summons to get our deposit back. We made it explicitly clear of our intentions from the start consistently being told that Ali was prepared to testify in court about the advice and information she told us at the first meeting. It was only on receiving the summons from the court that the co director of the company agreed to repay our deposit and associated court fees.

Our advice would be to stay clear of this company; go to the high street where the selection available, the quality and the customer service is far superior.

WE WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY.

Nicolak76, Nov 2, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question