Seating Plans

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsGroves2B, May 8, 2013.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

One thing we were not originally having was a seating plan. We were having a top table for us, parents, Best Man and MOH but other than that people were sitting where they liked.

However, we paid the reception balance off last night and my Mom was worried that close family members were going to be left out because they arrived later than some friends, and would end up pushed up the back or on the balcony. My Dad (who has had very little to do with the wedding up to now) said it would be best, and it wont take a lot of time to sort out and make, so have thought its best to do one!

The actual seating is not too bad at all, basing it on 8 people per table, which is what the reception do. I know they also do a couple of tables of 6 as well, but for a rough draft I've based it on tables of 8. I have everyone sat in a fair way on tables, but its now a matter of which table goes where!

Downstairs can fit around 7 tables, but we also have a balcony that seats around 5 tables. The problem would be when some family (the more distant family) and friends would be up there. Friends wouldn't be a problem, but the family would! I'm trying to do it so that the further the relationship to us, the further away you sit from us, but also taking into account people with disabilities who can't walk up stairs to the balcony, etc. I know what some family members can be like, and wont see it as being just for a couple of hours whilst you eat, but see it as not caring about them and pushing them out! We also have a quiet area that seats between 12 and 16 on comfy sofas and stools. That almost looks like having people in a separate room, so trying to avoid that for food if possible. We have however got a family member (H2B's Great Uncle) who is currently going through Chemotherapy and if he can still make it he may rather sit in that area due to not being around large crowds of people as his immune system will be pretty much none existent, so may sit his table out there, not to exclude him but for his health and wellbeing. (H2B's Mom said that they went to a wedding there when his Grandad was alive, and sat himself out there as at the time he was going through chemotherapy and couldn't be around large groups of people, so it may be wise for H2B's Great Uncle to sit out there with his table).

Now beginning to wish we didn't bother with it! Its only from about 5.30pm until around 8.30pm!

MrsGroves2B, May 8, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Well, fingers crossed I've solved the seating plan problem! We've reserved 3 tables only, one table (the equivalent to a top table) will consist of me, H2B, my parents, H2B's parents, Best Man and MOH. The second table will consist of my Nan, my Auntie, Uncle and Cousin (who are travelling from New Zealand, and are my Nan's daughter, son-in-law and Granddaughter), H2B's Nan and step Granddad and H2B's Auntie and Cousin (who are travelling from America and H2B's Nan's and step Granddad's daughter/step daughter and Grandson/step Grandson). The third table will have H2B's other Nan, H2B's Great Uncle (Nan's Brother who has Autism), H2B's Great Auntie (Nan's sister-in-law), H2B's other Great Auntie and two Great Uncles (one is currently undergoing chemotherapy for a form of Leukaemia, so gave him a seat so he can get out if its too crowded for him), H2B's sister-in-law and our Nephew.

We've said no other table to be reserved. We have seats upstairs, which is causing the problem, so asking friends to sit upstairs first, then more people can go up there if there's space. Not having a plan, but asking friends to go upstairs anyway to allow family/close family priority. However we will say please bear in mind that we have people with disabilities and conditions that will mean they can't go upstairs and to please allow them priority to sit downstairs.

This seems to have pleased my Mom a bit more, so I think the stress is sorted out!

MrsGroves2B, Jun 4, 2013
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Sounds like a good idea :)

Helen, Jun 4, 2013
  4. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I did too, never wanted one, it was my Mom that wanted one as she didn't want my Nan left out and shoved up the back or upstairs, or my Nan split from my Auntie, Uncle and cousin from New Zealand. My Dad agreed, then H2B agreed, so kind of was the odd one out so did it, then left someone out and caused an issue, so said no to it, then tried seating Grandparents together and both my Mom and Chris' Nan weren't happy, so scrapped it again, then came to a conclusion of having 3 tables reserved (including ours), got my Nan and Chris' Nan and step Granddad on a table along with everyone travelling from abroad, then another with Chris' other Nan and his Great Aunties and Great Uncles, but also adding our little Nephew and his sister-in-law. I said that's it now, left the information to the room decorator now, done. Closest family are reserved, our table is reserved, which seems to have pleased my Mom as well xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 5, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

I feel the same about a seating plan, but at least you have the main people closest to you. Its a lot of stress so close to the wedding aswell isn't it.
    You said your reception was at The Dudley Arms didn't you? Looks a lovely little place and not far from the church I'm hoping to get. How many people does it hold and what is included? xx

nikster1987, Jun 5, 2013
  6. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Yes, that's the place, it's a lovely place! xxxx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 5, 2013
  7. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Yes, that's the place, it's a lovely place! xxxx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question