Seating Plans Where Parents Are Divorced And Re-Married

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Amymel86, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Amymel86

MrsC2Be

Well we've never been close as my mum and him got divorced when I was small and he was a bit crap at keeping in touch (he was the adult after all!). I was hoping he'd have stepped up a little bit as some sort of redemption but it appears not lol my mum more than makes up for it, she's mint :D

MrsC2Be, Jan 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Amymel86

MrsBoucher2B2012

a bit like MrsC my mum has not really shown much interest in the wedding at all.

We are have a small reception and a big evening do, so far it is 30 people for the meal (just aunts, uncles and bridal party) so on our top table there will me, hubby, our daughter, my mum and brother, h2b mum and dad, my moh and the best man.

If i lose the battle of the best man and h2b brother is best man there is no way i am having his wife at the same table as me on my wedding day, she is evil and stressful. Might stick her with the annoying aunts[​IMG][​IMG].

We are just giving people a table so they pick who they sit next to but we want to get both families to get to know eachother instead of having two smaller group chatting if that makes sense

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jan 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Amymel86

Frogbitch

My parents aren't divorced, but we let both sets of parents host their own tables, and the Maid of Honour, Best Man and ushers sat at our table.
    We didn't have a strict seating plan. We allocated everyone a table, and then let them sort themselves out.
    I felt it worked really well, but I do wonder if anyone thought it was weird that my Dad wasn't greatly involved. He walked my Mum down the aisle instead of me, and didn't make a speech. Seating him at a different table may have looked like I had fallen out with him, but we felt it gave our two sets of parents equal status, without having to listen to them drone on!!

Frogbitch, Jan 30, 2011
  4. Amymel86

Helen

Ohh I was just going to post a topic about dad's speeches...

My dad has said he doesn't want to do a speech, I thought people might think it was a bit strange with him not doing one. What do you think? Frogbitch did anyone comment on him not doing a speech?

Helen, Feb 6, 2011
  5. Amymel86

Frogbitch

I didn't notice any comments, but I do wonder.
    Hopefully having him walk my Mum up the aisle stopped anyone getting the wrong impression.

It may sound funny, but I was adamant that my Dad couldn't give me away twice. There were a couple of traditions that I just didn't think should apply to a second marriage.

Frogbitch, Feb 6, 2011
  6. Amymel86

juliak

Well here goes, don't know if i'm going to help at all, my sit down meal was far from traditional. We only had approx 35 including us and we had two long tables alongside each other (little choice in that due to the venue we wanted), but it was lovely and cosy. Although we knew where we wanted evryone to sit during the actual meal, we made sure everyone had plenty of time for drinks and mingling in the gorgeously sunlit and warm courtyard both prior to and after the meal. Ok, some of you will think this weird but both sets of parents, my stepson (BtM), my stepdaughter (BM) and my son, who gave me away were all sat on a different table to us along with some friends, on our table I had my closest friends including 2 of my oldest best friends and their partners who live in Brighton and London. Our reasoning being that we can see our family anytime and we knew we could relax more and not have to watch our P's and Q's with our friends.....we did in fact have a fantastic laugh! No-one minded, neither set of parents said a word and it meant they could get to know each other better.
    As for the speeches I really wanted most people to say a little anecdote but people do not like doing it do they. My dad didn't give a speech but considering when he picked me up the morning of the wedding his first words were 'you could have made an effort' I was quite glad. My mum did a little speech as did Spences mum, then Spence, myself and one of my best friends. Spences did go on a bit bless him and the first time I cried on my wedding day was during my speech!

juliak, Feb 6, 2011
  7. Amymel86

juliak

Sorry I went on but was meant to add, do what you two want, not what you think is expected of you...it is your day and if others don't like it TOUGH!!!! xx

juliak, Feb 6, 2011
  8. Amymel86

Sez

My step dad is giving me away and i know that he would be so nervous about making a speech that he wouldnt enjoy the day so i've told him that he doesnt have to make one. I dont think it would be weird, the best man and grrom make a speach anyway so at least people wont be bored haha

Sez, Feb 10, 2011
  9. Amymel86

ElmoGrace

I am worried about getting to the seating plan.
    My parents are hosting the wedding, therefore want a traditional top table, but h2b's parents are divorced, mum is remarried and his dad lives with girlfriend, but I can't see having all of them on the top table. Neither can I see having just parents and us. I really can't have all of them because someone has to sit with his little sisters, from his mums current marriage. I have suggested having just me and h2b plus my parents, which didn't go down well with h2b, as his parents aren't involved in the planning so he wants them involved in the day.
    I am hoping that someone else will make the decision for me when the seating plan is made!

ElmoGrace, Apr 4, 2011
  10. Amymel86

Becky

Hmmmm that sounds tricky! It's not nice when couples have to be sat apart (this happened at both my step-brothers wedding and my step-sisters wedding), but I guess it depends on the people. If they are happy to do that, then no problems! I agree that it wouldn't be right to exclude one set of parents though.

Have you asked whether your parents would be flexible? Always worth the question... each parent could host their own table, and you two could either sit with your BMs and best man, or have a sweetheart table.

Becky, Apr 5, 2011
  11. Amymel86

ElmoGrace

I have been trying so hard to get my parents to think outside the box and host their own table, but they are not up for that idea.
    I keep thinking, especially as my venues reception room is kind of two rooms with an open arch way, that a sweetheart table would look lovely just past the arch way, that way everyone can see. But my parents wont agree to that and neither will my h2b!!!

ElmoGrace, Apr 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question