Seating Plans Where Parents Are Divorced And Re-Married

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by Amymel86, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Amymel86

Amymel86

Anyone got any ideas aas to what I can do about my seating plans for the top table?

My mum and dad are divorced and re-married. They are not at each others throats or anything but i just want them both to feel comfortable and I want some ideas as to how I can include my step parents too (I have known them since I was 4 years old, so I have a good relationship with both of them).

help!

Amymel86, Dec 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Amymel86

MrsBrown

How many can you have on top table, is it ok to have them all? maybe your ushers (if your having them) sit somewhere else??

If not I think there was someone on here, who had important people i.e parents 'host' a table near the front instead to avoid this?

Sorry not much help.

MrsBrown, Dec 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Amymel86

airy_fairy

I'm having the 'hosting' a table idea, top table is us and our MOH, BM, BMS and ushers. My mum is hosting her family, my dad his, and my H2B's parents theirs. It seems like its going to work out well. :)

airy_fairy, Dec 6, 2010
  4. Amymel86

MrsC2Be

Oooooh airy fairy I might have to steal that from you!

My parents are divorced, dad re-married, mum not and h2b's parents still together. I've not dared think about this yet, I can feel the headache already!

MrsC2Be, Dec 6, 2010
  5. Amymel86

Amymel86

Hmmmmmmm.......me thinks i need to have a talk with my wedding co-ordinator at the Hotel to see what sort of set up they can accomodate. :)

Amymel86, Dec 7, 2010
  6. Amymel86

Becky

We will be doing something very similar to airy_fairy :)

My other idea was to have a smeetheart table with just me and Ian, but he thought it might seem a bit anti-social (I disagreed but he won the argument!!)

The other alternative (which my step-brother did at his wedding) was to have the usual top table set up. However this meant that their current partners had to sit on a separate table which wasn't the best.

Becky, Dec 7, 2010
  7. Amymel86

Helen

I like the idea of parents hosting their own tables but I don't know how that might work for you.

Slightly off subject we were thinking of having no table plan at all and letting people sit wherever they liked, do you think this might cause chaos as people go to sit down? It will be a fairly informal wedding reception?

Helen, Dec 9, 2010
  8. Amymel86

MrsBrown

Helen, I went to a wedding where they did this, it wasnt good at all!! it wasnt helped by the fact that they sort of didnt have enough chairs for her number of guests which did make things worse, but it was a mad rush to find a seat and people ended up moving chairs so that they could sit together and squashing on table and then the immediate family were all struggling to find somewhere to sit! Her whole wedding was informal but as a guest it was a little stressful.

MrsBrown, Dec 9, 2010
  9. Amymel86

poppleminster

Helen - informal is a GREAT idea and I am probably doing the same. I'm just not a formal person when it cvomes down to it. I've been to a few weddings like that and loved them all as we all swapped seats between courses and nattered to other people rather than feel we had to talk to those we were put by (if that makes sense).

I also love the sweetheart table and am considering that as it'd work in the hall we are working with. I just love the idea of a little bit of the day just being us :)

poppleminster, Dec 9, 2010
  10. Amymel86

MrsBrown

sorry didnt mean to be so negative about not having a seating plan, please do make sure you have enough chairs though ha ha (she invited 75 guests but only had 60 chairs!!)

MrsBrown, Dec 9, 2010
  11. Amymel86

poppleminster

Now that is funny. Almost worth it just to watch the guests play musical chairs :) (I jest)

12. Amymel86

MrsBrown

there were a fair few children and the parents didnt make them give up their chairs, but the groom's mother didnt get a chair and at one stage the bride was walking around with a plate of food (and it was food requiring a knife and fork- I would have so spilt it!!!)

MrsBrown, Dec 9, 2010
  13. Amymel86

MrsBrown

I should add, that the bride was so laid back she didnt care, it would have stressed me out, but if you can be relaxed and let everyone sort themselves out then you will be fine!1

MrsBrown, Dec 9, 2010
  14. Amymel86

Helen

How random not having enough seating! I can't decide if it will cause problems with gaps being left on tables of one or two chairs. Do you think it would work better with banqueting type tables rather than rounds or do you think there would be the same problem?

Helen, Dec 9, 2010
  15. Amymel86

poppleminster

You could get the venuie to put out 10 too many chairs so that you know everyone is covered wherever they decide to sit :)

16. Amymel86

Amymel86

good idea!

Amymel86, Dec 9, 2010
  17. Amymel86

MrsBrown

not sure about the long tables, personally I think rounds are easier for people to chat at? and dependng on space I think it can be hard for other people to mingle arond them. I was at another wedding where they had long tables and it was hard to chat to other people not near you or move about!!

I bet I am like one of those people who annoy others by saying, 'well I have a ........' and 'when I was.......... 'in response to everything ha ha!! Sorry, I have seriously been to so many weddings in the last 2 years!!! But after all, it is what I enjoyed so might be a load of rubbish. People prob said, I didnt like the way they did........? at my wedding! What works best for you and your friends and family will be great!!

MrsBrown, Dec 10, 2010
  18. Amymel86

Helen

Lol no problem if I didn't want peoples opinions then I wouldn't ask so feel free to say what you like (then I'll just go ahead and do it my way anyway lol :) :) )

Helen, Dec 12, 2010
  19. Amymel86

MrsC2Be

We've been discussing this a fair bit recently, due to the fact my Dad seems completely un-bothered by the fact we're getting married and I expect he won't get properly involved (parents are divorced). He doesn't even seem overly keen to give me away at the moment which makes me a bit sad, but I can't force him and I'd rather have someone I know will appreciate being asked if that's how he feels.

Anyway, we've decided that trying to include parents makes things complicated, so we'll be going for, Bride and Groom, Best Man and his OH (she won't know anyone else really) 2BM's and 2 Ushers. Parents will all be with their own families and I can eat my dinner in peace, hurrah :)

MrsC2Be, Jan 27, 2011
  20. Amymel86

Becky

That sounds perfect, I'm glad you've decided on that :D It's a shame that you Dad doesn't seem interested though, but it's his loss!

Becky, Jan 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question