Saving Money!

Discussion in 'DIY Wedding' started by MrsStanding2Be, May 3, 2010.

1. MrsStanding2Be

MrsBoucher2B2012

I think all the invites and place cards are going to cost us about £35 max im making them myself. I have the ink and stamps already as i make all my own cards anyway, we are getting the organza ribbon from ribbon oasis, the card and envelopes are from craft superstore and are only £7.99 for a pack of 100, the place cards are from ebay i think they were £4 for a pack of 100 just simple plain white so i can decorate them myself. i have yet to start sorting out my order of service. We also got our favour bags from ebay £6 for 100 small organza bags. We have a meeting with the vicar on Sunday so we will sort out the church costs then but hopefully it wont be too expensive because we are also getting our daughter christened there in the next couple of months.
    As for everything else i intend to haggle and shop around.

Have you downloaded the budget planner from bridal tales it is really useful?

MrsBoucher2B2012, May 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsStanding2Be

poppleminster

Poundland are doing awesome things that are ueful for weddings. I got my kiln jars to fill with weets and marbles there in boxes of two for £1. Also if you have a Range near you, they have all the posh birdcages etc that are so expensive elsewhere for really cheap prices.

WH Smiths here in Exeter have a huge clearance section, they take in stock from round the country and currently have wedding day and evening invites and place cards all at 25p per pack. They are various designs and were normally at least a fiver a pack for most of them.

poppleminster, May 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

Hello, i dont have a poundland near me or the range and the WH smiths in my town dont do clear out sections lol thanks anyway though

MrsStanding2Be, May 24, 2010
  4. MrsStanding2Be

juliak

DunElm also do reasonably priced kilner jars etc!

juliak, May 24, 2010
  5. MrsStanding2Be

iPrincess26

We picked up our cake boxes in Poundland we got 50 bride and 50 groom for £10 (equivalent of 10p each) I later saw them in the confetti catalogue for 83p each!!! We got a right bargain, also our favours are love hearts in a tea light holder. We got the holders from IKEA and are printing labels with our names, wedding date etc. to stick on and I'm wrapping the sweets in tissue paper as it was so much cheaper than organza bags.

We are making our invites and place cards, we have wooden planters as part of our centrepieces which we got from Poundstretcher and only paid half of the £40 total for eight as I had complained about their disabled access and got sent a £20 voucher and they changed the layout - it prompted me to start my business (disabled access consultancy, concentrating on the little things and the big things) and picked up the vases and flowers for these in IKEA.

My mum is making my cake and paying for my dress and we got m veil from eBay for £26.99 - the one I had seen in the bridal shop was £150.00 and its only a single tier plain cathedral length one!

I am known to the family as the queen of bargain shopping so when we said we had a wedding budget of £2500 they knew we could manage. The only thing we are going to be screwed with is the catering, our venue use outside caterers and have a contract that they have to be used for any event so they have us over a barrel, its them or no food (our original budget was £1500 Max) so we are having no holiday this year so we can feed our guests - OH insisted we feed them. I have now found an offer they are offering in conjunction with our venue and that we weren't offered so am going to use that as leverage to get some more stuff out of them! They won't know what's hit them when I get started. LOL :lol:

iPrincess26, May 28, 2010
  6. MrsStanding2Be

juliak

Really sorry iPrincess, it seems i'm cyber stalking you!
    I found organza bags in the sale at Confetti, £2.99 for 10 (down from £7.99 I think).

It's really admirable what you do, my son is disabled and the world needs more people that think like you, it would make life so much easier.

juliak, May 28, 2010
  7. MrsStanding2Be

iPrincess26

aww bless thanks, I got my cloud (my wheelchair - heels again are my silver lining) about 2 yrs ago now - I can still walk but not far and not unaided, trying to get a lucite walking stick for the wedding and will just have to hang on to h2b. But after several months sitting at home complaining thought it would make sense to tell the people and try and something done and am now going into business, I am in the final 2 of a business comp and just trying to get the votes in to win and I have a very big meeting set up for 9th June so fingers crossed that goes according to plan, i shall announce it if it does.

Its about time the country actually provided what it claims to provide (i.e the same facilities available to all) that I thought I would try and change the world oh and customer service get sick of people addressing whoever I am with especially if I asked the question.

*steps off her soap box before she really gets going*

No probs with the stalking it makes me feel loved :lol:

iPrincess26, May 28, 2010
  8. MrsStanding2Be

MrsBrown

I am so jealous of all your bargins.. i never seem to find anything ha ha!!!

MrsBrown, May 28, 2010
  9. MrsStanding2Be

poppleminster

yay for bargain hunting! I love poundland, the kiln jars I got there are also on confetti for a vastly higher amount so I wonder if they have a deal with the same supplier. I'll be getting handmade papers for my invites in there too as well as the postage boxes to send them.

poppleminster, Jun 2, 2010
  10. MrsStanding2Be

May2010bride

I went to Ikea/Poundland for all the food/drink holding stuff (glasses, salad bowls, plates etc)!

Ikea were doing dinner plates for 24p (YES 24 PENNIES!?!) each! We're still using them, although I was tempted to 'OPA!' and throw them on the floor....maybe I still will, just waiting for the right moment...

Got our thank you cards in card factory (no I never heard of it either!), they were/still are doing BOGOF on boxes of 12!

Also, eBay is bargain heaven! Got almost everything else there!
    If you go through one of the online cashback sites (I use quidco.com) you get money back for spending money (not trying to advertise quidco but they do cashback on ebay, m&s, sainsburys, next, £20 cashback on debenhams wedding insurance, and even on things like insurance/new phone contracts).
    If you're going to buy loads from Amazon, go through the nectar site to get nectar points (they've got loads of different shops on there too)!

May2010bride, Jun 3, 2010
  11. MrsStanding2Be

fizzymelon

I am having my cake done by a local lady alot cheaper then some of the big cake companies.

stationary I designed myself and had it printed online by a very cheap company so, invites, menu cards, and RSVP cards were £30

my dress was a sample so i saved some more there

i wanted a candy buffet and the companies that come set them up charge sooo much, so ive been down the wholesalers and brought hugs pick n mix tubs of sweets and been trawling charity shops for last 6 months for nice bowls and vases. (which i will sell on ebay after as a candy buffet set lol)

food were having cheaper as were having a hot and cold buffet.

dunelm mill have very cheap vases, ive brough 6 tall lilly vases for £6 each and some ostrich feathers from ebay for center pieces.

fizzymelon, Jun 6, 2010
  12. MrsStanding2Be

Mrsg2b2011

Oooh I love card factory!!! I get all my cards from there. They are really good quality for a fraction of the price of Clintons!!!!

Loving all the tips for cashback sights!!! Coolio shopping here I come :D xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 7, 2010
  13. MrsStanding2Be

clarey1271

Hiya with your cake y don't you get it from marks and spencers? you can get the small medium and large and then get the pillars maybe frm amazon or ebay and then decorate yourself? with your make up y dnt you buy the make up and do it yourself and get a free make up thing from bamburys or somewhere

clarey1271, Aug 26, 2010
  14. MrsStanding2Be

MrsBoucher2B2012

Hi i hope you dont mind me asking but how many place cards are you having and how much is it costing per card? Also is that price with the names printed on?

Do you know anyone that could make your as a wedding present or if you buy all the stuff for it they make it.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Aug 26, 2010
  15. MrsStanding2Be

MrsBoucher2B2012

One last thing. Have you already got invites from confetti?

MrsBoucher2B2012, Aug 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question