Saving Money!

Discussion in 'DIY Wedding' started by MrsStanding2Be, May 3, 2010.

1. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

so far our wedding is coming to around the £14,000 mark we can just about afford it but i would i would like to save some money if possible! lol, so i'll write out what we have and what i've managed to save money on, if you can read through them and see if you can save me money then that woul be brilliant!:

i'll start from the begining of the wedding day:

Wedding insurance £30
    Invitations from confetti £80
    Evening invitations £30
    Order of service £80
    Wedding dress £500 from bridal tales would have cost me arount the £1000 mark if bought from Maggie Sottero stockists!
    jewelley £0 H2B is buying it, to make it more special
    Tiara £20 from ebay
    Lingerie £40
    Veil £20 from ebay
    Bridal bouquet £70ish
    Hair and Makeup £260
    3 rooms for night before £390
    Hall hire £1,700
    Bridesmaids dresses 2 for £100 on ebay
    Shoes for me £30 from next
    Shoes for MOH £30
    Bouquets for girls £20 doing them myself
    3 suits for groom, best man and brother of bride £300 (£100 each)
    Car to get to church £300
    Ribbon for car £10
    Church £800
    Flowers £200
    Rings £500
    Guest book
    Photographer £400
    Videographer £0 family doing it
    Confetti £20
    Car to get to reception same car i use
    Bay trees £50
    12 Mirror plates £35
    10 Martini vases £50
    10 Gel accents £20
    12 LED lights £40
    60 floating candles £50
    6 packs of roses £30
    table crystals £10
    favours (for woman) £50
    Favours (for men) £60
    table numbers £5
    place cards £50
    table plan £30
    Reception Drinks £450
    Adult meal £2,800
    Childrens Meal £200
    Drinks £300
    Cake £400
    DJ £300
    Hall Decoration £500 possibly
    top table arrangment £50
    Table runner £10
    swag £50
    Sweet Table £200
    Buffet £1000
    Bridal suit £300
    fireworks £200
    LED uplighters £50

Er i thin thats it? cant think of anything else.....please tell me if i've missed something? probably something really obvious lol

MrsStanding2Be, May 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsStanding2Be

MrsApplen2be

Your def having everything as for saving money think your doing really well with some of your bargain purchases eg your veil £20 lol I paid £180 for mine didnt think in a million years that was the price on them didnt ask and just said yes ill take it then woopsie £180 nearly collapsed. Too snobby to turn around and say no then. Its only a bit of net. Umm if you really needed to save money then I suppose there is things like you dont have to have fireworks and all the fancy bits but this is personal preference and totally up to you.

Your wedding sounds fantastic when are you getting married? x

MrsApplen2be, May 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

Thanks lol, It was h2b's idea to have the fireworks he wants to end the night with a bang lol so i dont really wanna get rid of them as he has been really good with everything i have planned.

We are not getting married for a while i'm just trying to save money which ever ways i can! lol

MrsStanding2Be, May 3, 2010
  4. MrsStanding2Be

MrsApplen2be

Hey if you can afford them....have them lol I would have :)

You may get a cake cheaper try local cake makers. I found a woman who does it as a side business she is amazing making me a 3 tiered cake with real gerberas with fruit, sponge and chocolate with white truffle filling for £170.

Weddings are so expensive for what they are. x

MrsApplen2be, May 3, 2010
  5. MrsStanding2Be

mrs_bowers_2_b

hey you can get suits for 40 to hire from slater and to buy from asda x

mrs_bowers_2_b, May 4, 2010
  6. MrsStanding2Be

WelshBride

All sounds fab! Have you already bought all your things for centerpieces etc. If not try ebay, I've had 20 led floralytes for £20 and had my mirror plates from The Range for £2.50 each. Where did you get you're crystal accents from? I've also had my place cards from confetti £10 for 60. Just shop around for as much as you can.
    I love a good bargin [​IMG]

WelshBride, May 4, 2010
  7. MrsStanding2Be

gozzle

It looks like you've done well on all of your prices, it's amazing how fast things add up!

Where are you getting your table plan and place cards from, or are those prices for making them yourself? You might be able to save some money if you are creative and can make them :)

gozzle, May 4, 2010
  8. MrsStanding2Be

Becky

We saved some money by asking the caterer to throw in all sorts of bits and bobs, such as the candelabras and venue / table decorations etc. It doesn't cost them anything to bring along things they've already got!

Other than that, we haggled wherever we could. Lots of people don't like to do this, but if you don't ask you don't get! Think about how lucrative the wedding industry is - they are making lots of money, so a 10-15% discount is perfectly reasonable [​IMG]

Becky, May 4, 2010
  9. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

Well at the moment i'm trying to haggle with my venue to let us have the rooms for free, but they dont seem to wanna budge so now i'm bringing out the "i had my heart set on it" lol always works, i try to get them to feel sorry for me! lol

MrsStanding2Be, May 4, 2010
  10. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

Thanks!, H2B is being abit stubborn he really wants to get his suit from Moss Brothers so now i'm cutting back in other places so he can have what he wants :D

11. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

no we haven't bought our centre pieces yet, i'm still looking around but dont really think i'm going to get a better bargin than 10, 50cm martini vases for £5 each! (hired) lol. Actually i think i got my place cards from ebay! 25 for £2-£3 i think

12. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

i'm actually getting my table plan from confetti, we are going to put it on the wall (saves buying the stand!) i think it was like £24 or something like that. The place cards i got from ebay i bought 25 for £2-£3 they are really nice to, really good ivory card with little butterflys that you stick on.

13. MrsStanding2Be

willbemckee

All sounds lovely hun. And £5 each for 50cm martini glasses?! Thats a brilliant bargain! The cheapest i saw were £20 each to hire! xx

willbemckee, May 4, 2010
  14. MrsStanding2Be

soontobewood

Hi

We have saved money by getting our favour bags, save the date cards, and place cards of ebay and invitations from M&S which are just blank inside and we have bought an extra pack to practice printing our own, if all else fails, my sister has neat enough hand writing, i will ask hert to write them.

I think i am also going to get our cake from M&S as they seem very reasonable.

They have lots of nice fish bowl vases on ebay which look lovely as centre pieces and are not to expensive

Lou

soontobewood, May 5, 2010
  15. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

I'm not do favour bags, we are buying crystal roses (which are really cheap!) for the woman and lotto tickets for the men....i saw they do invites i was there on sunday, i shall have another look because i'm not sure if they do our colours.....i also thought about getting our cake from there, but H2B said they will have probably been on the stand for ages lol.

I'll just have to keep looking around.

MrsStanding2Be, May 6, 2010
  16. MrsStanding2Be

Rustysgirl

Wow! What a list! I daren't even try and add up mine! Great bargains though! :) My dress was half price too cos I bought it from the US!

Rustysgirl, May 9, 2010
  17. MrsStanding2Be

juliak

WOW, that is a LOT of money! My dress was £80.00, I found it in a little vintage boutique and it's gorgeous. Admittedly we are only having 17 guests at the ceremony (which is in the registry office), 25 at the wedding breakfast and my good friends are hosting the evening do in their back garden and there may be around 100 there. I've made the evening invitations myself and they look lovely. I've suggested that people bring a picnic and a bottle to the evening gathering. We've luckily already got a marquee and fairy lights. We're having cup cakes instead of a traditional cake which my friend is making and the cup cake stand is approximately £30.00. The edible glitter, black and white chocolate flowers etc for the cake decor is all very cheap. I'm making my own party favours too. I like the idea of lottery tickets as favours and I came across a website that actually sells wedding lottery ticket holders/cards if you're interested? I hope you have a fantastic day, it sounds gorgeous!

juliak, May 12, 2010
  18. MrsStanding2Be

ss_uk

Im getting my cake from tesco £30 for a three tier white icing fruit cake got the cake stand from ebay 3 tier E shape for £20 good thing is i can sell the cake stand after lol
    I made my own invites I wanted pocket fold was going to be around £500 pre done i am doing them for £100
    we charmed the suit company place and got the suits we wanted for £65 each instead of £85 each - got 9 adults in suits
    shopped around for bm dresses getting them for £83 instead of £180
    again shopped around got a videographer for £500 for the whole day

sweet talk suppliers, even the ones you already have booked, say you are struggling and can they help you out - give you a discount. They need you, you dont need them!!!!

ss_uk, May 12, 2010
  19. MrsStanding2Be

sugarplumfairy

Hiya you should have tried e-bay for your invitations and place cards i got 30 handmade invitations for £20 and 60 place cards with names printed and our names and wedding date for £8

sugarplumfairy, May 21, 2010
  20. MrsStanding2Be

MrsStanding2Be

we did try ebay hun but we didnt like and of them, i got my place cards from there though

MrsStanding2Be, May 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question