Savage Wedding Planning!

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by Savage, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Savage

Savage

I'm getting far too excited now....tomorrow will be exactly 1 year until I become a Mrs!!!!!!!

We have chosen our venue and have an appointment to go back down (it's in Bristol, we're in Shropshire) to pay our deposit. Our lovely wedding co-ordinator is holding the date for us as we can't go down for another couple of weeks. I can't wait to put the 1st payment down, only then will it feel really real!

My sisters lovely best friend is a photographer and has agreed to do our photography ridiculously cheap, so that's one thing I can tick off my list!

I've been in touch with a florist who has worked at our rather unusual venue before and I'm arranging to meet up with her at the venue in a few weeks time to discuss ideas. I'm relying a lot on recommendations for most of the "big things" ie car, flowers, band because being so far away, we don't really have a clue who's what and where!! All the smaller bits and pieces though, I'm hoping to do as much myself as possible!

We are off to my parents this evening to discuss budgets....they have very kindly agreed to pay 50/50 but didn't specify whether their 50% is limitless! We are hoping to keep the whole wedding to £10k...hoping it's do-able!!
    I look forward to updating this thread as my wedding planning progreses!! :)

Savage, Aug 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Savage

iPrincess26

Yay! Oh and depending on numbers etc it would say 10k is very doable we have come in at about 7 and that includes a 2 week honey moon in Italy!

iPrincess26, Aug 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Savage

Helen

Ohhh do tell what is your unusual venue? Sounds great!

Helen, Aug 1, 2012
  4. Savage

Savage

Hello!

Two weeks in Italy sounds amazing!! My dream was to get married in Lake Garda and have our honeymoon around Italy. When we mentioned it to my dad & grandma though, the look on their faces kinda threw a spanner in that. I know ultimately the day is about us and what we want but my family is very traditional and there was a pretty good chance dear old grandma wouldn't have come to Italy so green and pleasant land it is!
    We aren't going for the church wedding/hotel reception though...I'll be the first on my dads side to break from the norm in that respect. It's really rather liberating!!
    As soon as we've been and paid our first installment, I'll post a pic of venue. Knowing me and my luck, I'll probably jinx myself if I post it before! :)

Savage, Aug 2, 2012
  5. Savage

Helen

Awesome I can't wait!

I know exactly what you mean about going abroad, breaking from the norm and family reactions. We chose Canada. It went down with mixed views. Initially people weren't pleased. My husbands mum died the month we booked it, his dad didn't want to come on his own. Both his best men also declined to come. We considered doing something else but my husband said he would rather get married on his own there than do anything else so we went with it. My parents I said could come if they wanted to. My dad wasn't happy about it to start with, and then wanted us to go to Australia instead :rolleyes: My mum and my sister were quite happy about it though! In the end my dad came around to the idea, so much so that he went around telling everyone it was his idea! Haha. We compensated for our lack of guests for the ceremony by having a massive UK reception and everyone loved this (although I had a few moaners about it being near where I live now rather than where my parents live, my dad being the main one again he wanted it in his garden). My other relations seemed happy about it, so much so that my cousin thought it was a great idea and is doing something similar.

Helen, Aug 2, 2012
  6. Savage

iPrincess26

We both love Italy but have never been together, the villa is in tuscany (as long as they sign up to do it next year - fingers crossed) there is a link in my planning thread i think. We toyed with the idea of getting married out there too but we are both traditional at heart and wanted the family there, although no church for us all at our favourite hotel in the lakes where we live.

Can't wait to hear where your venue is and see a pic - we love pics on here :)

iPrincess26, Aug 2, 2012
  7. Savage

Becky

All sounds good, can't wait to see the venue! :)

Becky, Aug 2, 2012
  8. Savage

MrsC2Be

Looking forward to seeing your venue! We had an 'oooh..... ok....' moment with Neils mum when we said we weren't getting married in church, but now she loves our venue and thinks it's totally us! :D

MrsC2Be, Aug 4, 2012
  9. Savage

Savage

We had a "well, don't expect me to be there" from my grandma when we told her our original idea of an intimate Italian wedding, and my dad was speechless...a first for him! He's all about the big fat Irish wedding so basically wants to invite the whole of Ireland and obviously, a small, immediate family wedding abroad wasn't quite what he had in mind!

Saying that, I'm really annoyed with him today...we've picked our venue & have an appointment with our wedding co-ordinator to go and pay our deposit and discuss prices with her in a couple of weeks. My dad knows this yet today he calls me and asks if we want to meet him at some castle hotel place to look around. The first thing I said to him when we started talking about weddings was that I didn't want a hotel wedding!! Im all for keeping options open and I've nothing against places like that at all...infact, there are some seriously stunning hotels and castles and I'm sure a wedding like that would be magical, but it's just not for us. Ugh, I'm so annoyed that I've even started looking a packages abroad again for just the 4 of us!! Its going to turn into his show if I let him get too involved...must be where I get my control freakishness from!

Savage, Aug 5, 2012
  10. Savage

MrsGroves2B

That's the trouble, weddings become other people's affairs if you're not careful, that's why I'm adamant of what is happening on our day. My parents keep well out of it, which is perfect, but my Mom asks questions and tries to get involved, says her opinions but doesn't interfere. My Dad says very little, we've told him some costings and said compared with some places they'd charge x amount, and he'll agree, but ends it there! Have what you two want, not what everyone else wants- my argument is if you don't like how we've done things, who we have for what role, etc, then don't come. Simple as that. Sounds harsh but its our day, we want it our way, if you love us and want to support us then by all means we'd love you there, but its our day, keep out of our decisions! Obviously weddings abroad are different, its not easy to get everyone there, but we're local.

xx

MrsGroves2B, Aug 5, 2012
  11. Savage

Helen

Stick with what you want. You can still look around at other options to be sure you are choosing something you love, maybe look at the venue your dad likes and then if you still feel the same just say it is nice but not what you imagine having. You don't want to regret it in years to come. Yes it is hard to please everyone and yes some people might be upset - but it is your choice, you have to do what is right for you and when it comes down to it everyone will enjoy and love what you choose anyway :)

Helen, Aug 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question