Reception Music

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by MrsC2Be, Aug 7, 2010.

1. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Hey Ladies,

I'm just after a bit of opinion really. with our venue, we get included a pianist to play as guests arrive, for the ceremony and during wedding breakfast. We are definitely having a DJ for the evening do, but just wondered if anyone else is having a similar set-up DJ wise and is having a band first as well?

We were talking about it last night - bands usually get the party going a bit quicker, but is it just going to be an unneccessary extra expense? Thoughts please :angry:

MrsC2Be, Aug 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsC2Be

MrsApplen2be

Cant say ive seen a band or that a band would neccesairly make the party get started quicker. I def think its the people that make a party....if you have friends/family who are willing to get up and dance from the onset they the party will automatically be in full swing. I was lucky enough to have that sort of friend.

Was at a wedding the week before mine and she had a femal singer for most of the evening and nobody even got on the danceffloor till the dj started at 11. So personally I think you would be fine with a DJ and not a band. xx

MrsApplen2be, Aug 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Ok, that kinda backs up what we were thinking then. The venue sent us their preferred list of bands too and they all look a bit sh**e so that saves having to find someone else lol :D

MrsC2Be, Aug 7, 2010
  4. MrsC2Be

Anon_SA

I think the type of guests you have will sway your decision.

Most of the friends I have who are attending my wedding are musicians, that's why I've gone for live bands rather than DJs because I know that's what they'll be able to relate to and enjoy more.

The setting definitely can determine how successful your choice of music is as well.

Have you thought about a ceilidh (barn dance/folk dance)? I used to play in a ceilidh band - they always get people dancing straight away and mingling together - you'd think it would sound forced having dances called out and everyone doing the moves, but I think it works really well.

I'm having a ceilidh for a couple of hours at my wedding - these guys (I used to go to music college with them) - http://www.triplescotch.com

Ceilidh bands will also be flexible in providing background music and I know for a fact that the band above also provides DJ services so it's maybe worth an enquiry!!

Anon_SA, Aug 8, 2010
  5. MrsC2Be

MrsBrown

I agree it is the people that make the event. I have been to weddings with bands where people danced all night and ones where they didnt, same with DJ's. I would say that as long as you like the music and you think your friends and family will too then it doesnt matter if it is a dj or a band. My friend's dj was a bit rubbish really, he played music aimed at children for about 30minutes and there were only about 4/5 children there (i.e the pizza hut song sort of music!!) I think what ever you choose just make sure you get some control over what is played and you will be fine.

Salma, we are having a Ceidhl too, I have been to weddings in scotland where they were ceidhls and they were just fab. The bands we saw in scotland tend to be more rocky with electric violins etc, whereas ours isnt, but we hope that everyone will go with the flow and enjoy it. We are getting married in a barn so it is well suited. We have a back up of cheesy pop in case the band doesnt go down too well and for an interval (and to keep some of my friends happy!!)

MrsBrown, Aug 8, 2010
  6. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Ok, so sticking with just a DJ it is then, it'll save us a load of money too which isn't to be sniffed at :D

MrsC2Be, Aug 8, 2010
  7. MrsC2Be

Helen

Ohh I think this depends on the people and the band. Having been to 5 weddings this year :D and another 3 still to go I would say that only one didn't have a band and of the other 4, 2 of them the bands were ok, the 3rd was better than average and the wedding we went to on Friday the band was amazing! So good that we have decided we are going to try and book them for our wedding. Previously we had decided to save some money and not have a band but the atmosphere these guys created was really great and I had an awesome time, by far the best wedding we have been to :lol:

Helen, Aug 8, 2010
  8. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Well my friends are pretty crazy at the best of times and if the music is right they'll dance all night. However, we were at a wedding last weekend and the band they had were wicked and really got things going. But apparently the DJ that we'll be having at the venue is pretty good, so as long as we keep an eye on what gets played it should be ok :D x

MrsC2Be, Aug 8, 2010
  9. MrsC2Be

Mrs T2B (Kel)

we had a band .. didn't want a DJ at all as we wanted the evening to end between 11pm and 12pm with coffees etc and for us to be able to say goodbye to everyone and thank people for coming, and also I didn't think a cheesy DJ fitted the victorian tea party theme... not that the band did particularly, but we wanted them! ;)

Our band arrived and started playing at 7:30 and they were encored 3 times before finally stopping just after 11pm :)

We were worried because their genre is pretty 'niche' - indie rock, however we had most everyone dancing and those that didn't said the band were still really good, and they probably wouldn't have danced if there was a DJ either anyway!

Mrs T2B (Kel), Aug 10, 2010
  10. MrsC2Be

MrsC2Be

Well we have live music with the (not chas or dave) pianist throughout the ceremony and wedding breakfast, so gonna get DJ for later on. Will be doing serious cheesy crap write-off though, although Neil's brother is a little in love with Steps (too much for my liking) so might have to let him do a few of his notorious dance moves. :)

MrsC2Be, Aug 10, 2010
  11. MrsC2Be

Anon_SA

*like!*

edit: oops wrong thread. That's what happens when you have multiply Big Day tabs open...

Anon_SA, Aug 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question