Reception Idea - Big House?

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by poppleminster, Jun 8, 2010.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

I'm struggling to find a village hall I like for the Enid Blyton high tea and came across this place: reception idea

Do you reckon I can get away with serving it in one of the grand reception rooms for the manor house? I got a quote for the weekend for the hire of all three houses on site and it's under £1500. So for that the guests could stay the night before and on the night at least without driving and the kids would have an adventure playground and farm to keep them amused and it seems such good value.

Has anyone else done anything similar? I have 40 people and about 25 would be staying there, I like the idea of not having to charge them to tay but could ask for a donation towards it maybe?

Ideas on a postcard please....

poppleminster, Jun 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

MrsBrown

The venue looks great an a brill idea. You could ask a few close people to see what they think? If they would be paying for hotels anyway then it might actually work out cheaper for them.

How many bedrooms does it have???

MrsBrown, Jun 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

Mrsg2b2011

I think it looks lovely. What a really nice idea. It will be unique too. Agree with Mrsbrown, speak to close family & friends and see how many would be staying over & see if they are happy to pay for the rooms. Most people pay to stay in hotels anyway so won't be much different I don't think. Maybe you could say that as you are having a wedding there the rooms are a reduced rate & to go through you to book it. Even if you charge less than the local travellodge. Think £1500 is a very good deal x

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 8, 2010
  4. poppleminster

poppleminster

manor has 7 bedrooms 6 bathrooms, farmhouse has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and cottage has 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom - we'd probably have that one for ourselves. All the rooms have beautiful antique beds and gorgeous decor. I love the idea but am worried it's bringing me well over my original £2000 budget unless people pay towards it. A village hall would be much cheaper but with the house I can delegate stuff and get things ready the day before. I just love the idea.

poppleminster, Jun 8, 2010
  5. poppleminster

MrsBoucher2B2012

It looks really nice and its a great deal. Im sure people wont mind paying towards it since some might need to book a hotel anyway. Its a great idea.

MrsBoucher2B2012, Jun 9, 2010
  6. poppleminster

MrsBrown

why dont you take off the cost of the hall and then work out how much it would be per person, i.e if the hall was £500 then £1000 divided by 25 is only £40. Is that for 1 night? I dont think it is bad but if it was for more it would be a bargin! I guess you need to think about who would share with who, as people mght not object to paying but might object to sharing! i can think about a few people in our wedding party who i wouldnt want to share ha ha

MrsBrown, Jun 9, 2010
  7. poppleminster

ilovepink1984

It looks really lovely and a great idea. It will be so relaxed and have a lovely atmosphere and really fit your theme. As MreBrown2b says, people would probably need to pay for a hotel for at least one night anyway so they could get a real bargain staying here! I would def be happy to pay for a room thats at the venue and such a lovely place. Kids will love it too.

Love your Enid Blytong theme. I was obsessed with her books when I was little. Famous Five and Magic Faraway Tree were ace!! My sister still blames me for being obsessed with books/Blyton causing her to break her fingers!! She maintains that I was engrossed in the Enchanted Wood and she was trying to get my attention and the clothes horse collapsed on her fingers! :blink: Oops! We went on holiday the next day and she couldn't go near water - not good in the South of France!! xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 9, 2010
  8. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

I think it looks gorgeous, and I'm sure people won't mind paying towards it. Like MrsBrown2b said, £40 for the night is really reasonable - you'd be pushed to find a hotel at that price! :lol:

Becky, Jun 9, 2010
  9. poppleminster

poppleminster

The whole place, all three houses and the halls, gardens etc are £1400 total for three days from Fri to Mon. Going to meet the woman that owns the place on 3 July and book it. The bedrooms look lovely and I like that each room can have it's own bathroom. Most rooms are double which is good :lol:

poppleminster, Jun 9, 2010
  10. poppleminster

MrsBrown

OMG OMG OMG.. that is a BARGIN!!! WOW!!!

So £40 for a weekend stay and £400 venue hire (if you follow my idea) or about £60 each if not!! our guests will no doubt be paying £50/£60 ahead for a premier in for 1 night without breakfast ha ha!!

My only thought is that the 15 guests who cant stay will be so jealous!!!

MrsBrown, Jun 9, 2010
  11. poppleminster

poppleminster

yeah they will LOL. I'm glad we researched the area now. It' worth doing as the price of big places, especially if they don't host weddings normally, is far cheaper than any of the same sized estates that were ued to doing receptions. As a comparison, Mazzards which is down the road and smaller in size, less rooms and shared bathrooms BUT is marketed for wedding parties, is double the price!

I'm now officially really excited :lol:

poppleminster, Jun 9, 2010
  12. poppleminster

Helen

That is such a good idea! :) It looks fab no wonder you are excited now lol!

Helen, Jun 10, 2010
  13. poppleminster

Mrs T2B (Kel)

oh wow ... how fabulous! and so exciting! :)

I love that idea, and yes very cheap in comparison to a premier inn, and much much nicer!

super find! :lol:

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 10, 2010
  14. poppleminster

juliak

I think it's a great idea too. We recently went to a friends wedding and stayed in a travelodge, it cost approx £150 for myself, H2b and my son to stay in a family room for 2 nights which is pricey, especially when we had to pay taxi fare to and from the venue aswell! I think it'll ease stress for all of the people with children and certainly cost wise, it works out to £28pppn doesn't it? Mush cheaper and much nicer than anything else I think. I'd go for it!

juliak, Jun 10, 2010
  15. poppleminster

Mrsg2b2011

Wow that is a bargain!!!! Fair play to you hun. Ok I am going to have to do an excited scream for you now!!!!!!! I did when I booked my venue!!!! EEEEEKKKKKK so exciting!!!!! Even better the fact its such a bargain!!! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 10, 2010
  16. poppleminster

poppleminster

Thank for the support you lovely lot! I've booked it now and will pay it off in bits so it doesn't affect the budget too much and if people do pay toward their rooms then we can consider it a bonus and use that for our honeymoon money :)

poppleminster, Jun 10, 2010
  17. poppleminster

Becky Administrator

YAY good choice! :)

Becky, Jun 10, 2010
  18. poppleminster

MrsBrown

fab news!!! Now you have a great venue for the wedding and reception.. i love my venue but I am a little jealous of yours ha ha

MrsBrown, Jun 10, 2010
  19. poppleminster

Helen

I think I may have to steal your wedding :D Loving both your venues :)

Helen, Jun 11, 2010
  20. poppleminster

ilovepink1984

Yay, glad you've booked it :) I want to steal your wedding too, sounds soooooooo lovely xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question