Post Box Or Wishing Well For Cards Etxc

Discussion in 'DIY Wedding' started by clarey1271, Sep 7, 2010.

1. clarey1271

clarey1271

Hiya guys.

i would really like an wishing well or box for all our cards etc. any1 gt any good websites etc plz help

clarey1271, Sep 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. clarey1271

Scarlett~lady

How much do you want to pay hun ?? :)

Scarlett~lady, Sep 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. clarey1271

VikingWife

We bought a post box from ebay and put a personalised card label on it, was just the thing we needed! It took over 80 cards with plenty of room to spare!

VikingWife, Sep 7, 2010
  4. clarey1271

clarey1271

depends on what kind it is hun dnt wanna spend that much but dnt want it 2 be expensive either

clarey1271, Sep 8, 2010
  5. clarey1271

Frogbitch

I definitely recommend that you get something.
    My colleague (who I've mentioned far too many times!), went into her drunken organising mode when she convinced herself that all our cards were going to get stolen by the hotel staff.
    Two of her very good friends were ready to kill her!

Frogbitch, Sep 21, 2010
  6. clarey1271

Mrs Moggie

I wanted to get a box for my wedding, but I couldn't find one that I liked for the amount that I was willing to pay. I ended up using a pretty gift bag with a label on it.

Mrs Moggie, Nov 4, 2010
  7. clarey1271

Zoe

My best friend is getting married in April. Her colour theme is blue and white, so I made her a post box out of an old paper box from work, blue wrapping paper and white ribbon. Bargain!!!

Attached Files:

Zoe, Nov 5, 2010
  8. clarey1271

Zoe

I've also made her a ring cushion. Copied the design from a thread on this site:

Attached Files:

Zoe, Nov 5, 2010
  9. clarey1271

Becky Administrator

I love that ring cushion! How did you make it?

Becky, Nov 6, 2010
  10. clarey1271

Anon_SA

That looks like the one I'm trying to make and it looks great!!

I haven't got very far unfortunately :)

Haven't got round to borrowing a sewing machine yet and finding the inner cushion as don't wanna pay loads for the one inner I found online. Where did you get the inside??

Anon_SA, Nov 6, 2010
  11. clarey1271

Zoe

Hi ladies

I got all the stuff from a shop called Abakhan in Mostyn, North Wales. Just bought a small plain cushion inner (think it was 26cmx26cm) for about £1.25, then bought the satin material (got enough to make 2 covers incase 1st attempt went wrong). You pay for the weight, but can't remember exactly how much I got. Then found the white thick ribbon to go around it and make the bow (about 4 meters). As I was looking for the thin white ribbon to tie the rings on, I found the ribbon with the health, wealth, happiness etc writing on - bit of a Brucie bonus (about 2 meters). Finally I got the blue thread...

Next part was making the thing. I've not got a clue on sewing machines. I borrowed my friends, but couldn't figure it out. I decicided to take the bull by the horns and do it manually. Wish I'd taken pics so I could show you step by step:
    1. folded the material around the cushion the see how much I needed and cut around plus a bit extra. I did it so I would only need to sew 3 sides.
    2. using white cotton I tacked around the edges, leaving one side open to take the cushion out
    3. turned the material inside out and stitched small stitches around the tacking
    4. took out the white tacking cotton and turned the material the right way round
    5. put the cushion in
    6. stitched the top of the material by tucking each side of material in and carefully doing small stitches
    7. stitched a length of ribbon around from one side to the other in the middle
    8. did the same on the other side of the cushion to make a parcel effect
    9.tied a bow through the cross of the ribbon in the centre and stitched through the middle to keep in place
    10 tied on the thin ribbon for the rings to be attached

Sounds quite easy, but it did take me about 4 days!!!

defo cost less than £10 in total.

Salmasalma, I think it may have been your thread I got the idea from. Was it you that saw it in Australia?

Zoe, Nov 6, 2010
  12. clarey1271

MrsMay2011

Morning! abakhan is great! There's a branch in Birkenhead not far from me, I'll pop in and see how much the inner cushions are and take some picks for ya. Not sure if it's open Sunday but I'll be going past anyway so will see x

MrsMay2011, Nov 7, 2010
  13. clarey1271

Becky Administrator

That sounds like a very intricate operation, I'd never have been able to figure out how to do it from scratch! Looks fantastic! Have you been getting creative with other stuff for the wedding too?

Becky, Nov 7, 2010
  14. clarey1271

Zoe

I absolutely love faffing about making things. I've not really got much to do for my wedding - hence interfering in my best friends wedding!! I'm now spending my time organising her hen party - as her MoH I get to do all the fun stuff. :(

I did go the candle factory last week and got these candles to go next to our wedding cake. Specifically asked for the colours as we are having black, white and pink.

Attached Files:

Zoe, Nov 7, 2010
  15. clarey1271

Anon_SA

Yes it was my thread!! There's an Abakhan in Manchester so I'll go have a look there for the cushion inner - thanks!! Although my sister is in Brisbane at the moment and said she'd go and get the cushion for me from the actual shop - but I'm not counting on it as she's a bit of an odd one and hates weddings and therefore isn't too into it all - unfortunately!! :(

I've got round to tacking the main part of the cushion - but got scared that I wouldn't find an inner to fit so stopped in fear!! When I'm next in town I'll take a trip to Abakhan and hopefully all my problems will be solved.

Thanks!! :D

Anon_SA, Nov 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question