Panic Stations!

Discussion in 'Wedding Fashion' started by MrsGroves2B, Jun 7, 2013.

1. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I'm on panic mode!!!

My wedding ring and engagement ring had to be sent away to be altered in size. My Dad's cousin works in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham (about 30-40 minutes away from us) and said he'd do them for me. He even said he'll do it as our wedding present so we haven't had to pay, which is great.

He'd had them for weeks, started to get worried, was going to send him a message to ask how they were going and if he wanted me to pick them up, but he came to my parents' house briefly to drop them off last night (we so happened to be there having tea with them), but we were eating at the time and he had to rush off so didn't come in the house.

After tea I tried the rings on. The engagement ring is fine, a little tight but came off relatively easy so the tightness I put down to the heat swelling my fingers a bit. However the wedding ring is still too small, couldn't get it on my finger, and the stone that's in it is missing.

I have text him, but awaiting a reply. I'm now in a panic as the wedding is 3 weeks away, he had my rings about 5-6 weeks before yesterday, and if he doesn't get back to me quick I'll have to think of ordering another one, and will have to do that early to ensure they get it in stock in my size (luckily they still do the ring), but it'll mean another £179.99 to pay. Also, our rings had the engraving "Two hearts- One soul" inside, and with the enlarging I've lost half of it, and me and H2B have had matching rings, so as much as I'd feared I'd lose the writing its gutted me as well.

I don't blame my Dad's cousin, and I feel bad telling him there's a problem, I got my Dad to hear the text before I sent it so I didn't come across as blaming him or annoyed. He's been good enough to my family over the last couple of years and I can't thank him enough for altering the rings for free as his gift. In terms of the stone he can probably replace it no problem, he did it with my Nan's eternity ring for me when I got given it after she died, one of the emeralds I think it was, was missing when I had it. However, I do remember when we went for the rings the woman in the shop said your wedding ring should be a size bigger than your engagement ring, and this doesn't look like its any different in size, and with the style of the ring there's nothing to kind of help you get the ring off your finger (e.g. the engagement ring is a little thicker and can get your nails around it to pull it off, the wedding ring you can't).

My fear on the day, and has been for a bit now is that when it comes to the point of putting the ring on my finger it wont go on and will either have no ring or an embarrassing situation on the day.

I feel like just going out and buying another ring as I'll know something is not right with it, but I'm now out of work (well, I work 4 hours on a Saturday, but not got a full time job anymore) and it would mean using savings made by my Nan, and my parents would see it as a waste of time buying another one. Mom even suggested buying a cheap one for the day and get the ring blessed at a later date, but to me that is not right at all- the ring you wear on the wedding day is you wedding ring no matter what to me, and with the cost of rings to buy a cheap one I might as well pay the extra and get the same one!

We didn't go to a proper jewellers for the rings- they're only Argos, so I am very tempted to go in and get my fingers measured there so they can order it in just in case, or so I know the correct size to be able to go in and order just in case. I don't want to upset family and appear ungrateful, but I want it to fee right at the same time.

An added stress I really could do without!

MrsGroves2B, Jun 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsGroves2B

Helen

Oh dear, I would give him the chance to alter the ring again, then if it still isn't right then go for back up plan of new ring or take it to another jeweller to alter. Ask him if he can do it within a week, as then that gives you two weeks to try another jeweller or get the second ring.

My engagement ring is a bit tight, in hot weather I get it stuck on my finger and it can be very uncomfortable. I'm debating getting it altered. Have to say I rarely wear my two rings together, I should have had a thinner band on the engagement ring as I find the two bands together a bit bulky. I had the wedding ring as narrow as I could get away with as I wanted it engraved all the way around in a pattern.

Helen, Jun 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

He's re-measured my finger and taken it away again, he's back in work on Tuesday so will do it Tuesday or Wednesday. He'll replace the stone no problem, and apologised that he never noticed it missing. These things happen, I don't mind, just wished it wasn't so close to the wedding so we had a little more time for these things. xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 7, 2013
  4. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

I'm so glad that the situation is getting sorted for you, especially so close to the wedding! I can understand you being panicked!

nikster1987, Jun 9, 2013
  5. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I'm still panicking that when we get to the point in the service where Chris puts the ring on my finger it won't go on & it'll either be a very embarrassing situation or I'll have no ring!

MrsGroves2B, Jun 9, 2013
  6. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

Oh dear, doesn't sound good! I hope the second resizing works and it's nice of him to sort it out for you. You could probably ask a jeweller to re-engrave the inside - you'd have to pay of course, but it shouldn't be too much.

I'm surprised that you were previously told that the wedding band needs to be a size bigger than the engagement ring - I've never heard that before and can't work out why it would be suggested!

Becky, Jun 10, 2013
  7. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I think it was more to do with the width of the wedding band, but I'll have my engagement ring on the same finger after the wedding but my wedding ring will go first so the engagement ring, if you like, will act as something to stop it coming off, not that it is that much bigger.

I'm really dreading the ceremony where Chris puts the ring on my finger in case it doesn't fit! I collect my dress next week and dreading that in case it doesn't fit, it seems to be the biggest panic for me!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 10, 2013
  8. MrsGroves2B

iPrincess26

Don't fret - i know it's easy to say but really your dress will fit and if Chris has to give a good push to get it on your finger you will all have a chuckle and it becomes a memory - at our's I confused Tom by having my engagement ring on the other hand so he wasn't sure which hand he needed! and we were both really hot so fingers had gotten a little fatter but we got them on and everyone had a laugh. Don't forget these are your friends and family who are coming to wish you well - they aren't there to take the mick and generally make you feel a bit rubbish - and if you do have a little struggle to get one or others on no-one will remember it afterwards!

Sounds like you need to sit yourself down with a cup of tea, take a deep breathe and relax! - I know im not one to talk but listen to one who has been there! you need to remember to relax and if it's out of your control for now then let it go, no point in worrying if you can't do anything about it!

Smile you only have 18 days to go!!!! :D

iPrincess26, Jun 10, 2013
  9. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

You could always put a bit of Vaseline on your ring finger just before the ceremony starts - that should make it a bit easier for your H2B! ;)

Becky, Jun 10, 2013
  10. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Thanks ladies, I do need a chill pill I think! Hehe!

Vaseline, what a great idea! Hehe! xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 10, 2013
  11. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Well, second resizing, and its still too tight! It goes on ok, a little bit of a struggle, but otherwise ok, but in terms of coming off its a nightmare. It comes off eventually (without the aid of anything like soap and water, Vaseline, etc), but even my Dad's cousin said it shouldn't be that tight, so now me and my Dad are going over to the place he works at on Wednesday after going to collect my dress to get it done there and then.

Third time lucky eh?! It better be, could do without all this hassle! I know its not my Dad's cousin's fault, he did it to the size measured on the day, and he said don't worry, we'll sort it (and also joked that on the day they'll be there with their fingers crossed that it will fit when Chris puts it on my finger!), just its an added stress and a worry that I really could do without!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 17, 2013
  12. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

Oh no that's annoying! Hope the third re-sizing does the trick, let us know how you get on! x

Becky, Jun 17, 2013
  13. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I hope so too, I'm sure it will as I'll be there whilst he does the resizing this time. It is really beginning to annoy me now! xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 17, 2013
  14. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

Oh dear, thats not good. Hopefully it is third time lucky! Fingers crossed it goes well for you.

nikster1987, Jun 19, 2013
  15. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

Well, it's at the size, but it snapped from over stretching so he's putting a piece in, should be done by Friday. I tried it at the right size and he'll make it half a size bigger than that so fingers crossed! xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 19, 2013
  16. MrsGroves2B

Becky Administrator

Oh dear! You've really not had much luck with it so far have you?! Sounds like the size was very wrong to begin with, I hope this next change will be the last one!

Becky, Jun 20, 2013
  17. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

I hope so too! Once that is done I'll be happy xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 20, 2013
  18. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

RESULT!!!! Ring fits!!! It was a little loose but not enough to come off (and my engagement ring will go on top of it as well) and my fingers weren't as swollen as when I went in and had it measured and it fit so all's good! I'll still panic on the day though! xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 21, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  19. MrsGroves2B

nikster1987

So glad that its sorted! One thing like that can make you go into panic overdrive I think.

nikster1987, Jun 21, 2013
  20. MrsGroves2B

MrsGroves2B

As long as its ok next Saturday I don't care! I think I might need to keep trying it on when I go my parents' house to make sure! xx

MrsGroves2B, Jun 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question