Olu Deniz...our Wedding Day...

Discussion in 'Just Married - Wedding Reports' started by SnugglesGirl, Jul 2, 2011.

1. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Hi Ladies...
    Cant believe I am part of the "just married" category now......take me back to the "fashion" topics as that way I would still have my big day to look forward to.....all you lovely Brides to Be just soak up every part of the build up as time goes so fast and in the click of a finger its all done.....
    Anyway......Here is my little tiny report....dont want to bore the life out of you all (haha)....and I will attempt to put some photos on...

My wedding was the 31st May in Olu Deniz, Turkey.......
    My Hubby (to be at the time) and myself flew out to the resort 10 days before the wedding....we knew we had some official things to do over there and meet the wedding company that we had paid all our pennies too.....it was also a good idea to be the first people in the resort as we wanted to watch our 35 guests arrive day by day and see our little group of just 2 build up by the day....

We travelled over to Antalya for our official paperwork day and met with the wedding company within a couple of days of ebing there...we wanted the official things done so we could start chilling out before the wedding....we were really impressed with the wedding company...so professional....we felt that we could relax knowing that we should get everything we wanted on the day itself...our flower and cake choices etc....
    Our Antalya trip to the british embassy was not the easiest day to do.....collection by car at 0700 and dont return to resort til 1800 but these things have to be done and it made the chilled glass of efes all the sweeter when we did return to Olu Deniz....

So were now at Tuesday 24th May..only a couple of days into our wedding holiday...and had met up with our only guests to have arrived by this point which was 6 people.....
    We were having a great time starting to wind down in the fantastic Turkish sunshine when it was brought to our attention that the potential of another ash cloud could be imminent and that british flights over the next few days may/may not end up operating....obviously this news knocked us for six....our guests were travelling day by day right up until the day before the wedding.....we hadnt heard anything from the people at home as nobody wanted to panic us....I had thought it odd that the text messages were so few....

So....our thoughts of relaxing were put on the back burner while we asked our guests at home to text us regular updates...it seemed to be more about the Scottish flights at that time but of course it didnt stop the panic.....we turned into a pair of stress balls for the next few days....I was literally looking at a Manchester airport flight app on my mobile which was showing when certain flights had actually departed and it was a case of sighs of relief that "thats mum and dad taken off and on their way here"......
    Luckily for us....somone was looking out for us and the ash cloud didnt end up affecting any of the flights so by Thursday 26th we were all relaxed and enjoying the sunshine again.....
    There were a couple of issues on the Thursday/Friday on our guests behalf.....collecting wrong suitcases at the airport and my sister missing her flight completely...buy hey by hook or crook the case issue was resolved and my sister flew with a differenet airline hours later.....

As people had been travelling day by day and enjoying their own holidays we decided to host a "Hag-El" party on Sunday 29th May, 2 days before the wedding....a get together for all of us to meet up and the "El" part was added as it was my niece Ellie's 10th birthday...We had asked our guests to bring hawaiian outfits with them for this night.....something to make sure we knew we were all together and a bit of colourful fun.....we booked tables at Buzz Bar on the beachfront....7.30pm after a lovely day in the sun for all our geusts to sit and watch the fantastic sunset over the water and eat what would end up being the best food in the resort.....
    So....after a lovely day sunbathing round the pool we headed back to our rooms around 6pm to slip into our grass skirts and hula necklaces......I was really excited....I'd gone 33 years and never even been to a fancy dress party...haha!!!
    AND THEN......the rain came.......I looked out onto the balcony and the heavens had opened and they didnt look like closing anytime soon......the rain pounded down.....not the 5 minute aborad rain that comes and goes.....this was terrential....it came and it didnt go.....
    After 20 minutes of not wanting to leave the room we finally had to as time was not of the essence.....I caught a glimpse of my mum and dad running towards the reception with a swimming pool parasol for cover.....not only did this amuse me but it was the only thing that was going to get my bottom out of the hotel room and out into the rain!!!
    So we ran.......by the time we got to the hotel reception we were soaked through.....
    There wasnt a chance we were going to take the stroll down the strip towards the beach front so instead we got taxis....the streets were inches deep in water running everywhere.....I've been abroad many many times and I had not seen rain/wet roads like this ever before......
    We arrived at the restaurant to obviously be told that our upstairs sunset terrace was not going to happen and so we were seated downstairs under cover and at that moment all drenched through.....
    BUT....the rain eventually stopped...we eat fabulos food...we all looked completely in the spirit of the hawaiian night, my niece had a fantastic birthday and we all had a great night.....looking back seeing my parents with a swimming pool parasol for an umbrella was a very amusing sight and if the sun had shone...I'd have never had that moment!!!!!

After Sunday nights down pour we expected Monday to be glorious skies again....I mean the rain was hard and heavy enough to have cleared a million skies....but oh no...Monday 30th May - 1 day before our wedding and the rain again poured on and off all day long....it fell harder at 5pm......the time we would be marrying the following day at our outdoor lagoon terrace....
    My hubby to be and myself were now feeling phyiscally quite sick....we approached the wedding company to ask advice about alternative venues for the following day as the forecast was again scheduled for rain and thunderstorms....
    I cant tell you how upset and tied up inside I felt....I know that every bride must feel this way about a lovely dry day for her wedding day but the abroad factor was just kind of making me feel very silly....35 people had spent money for a sunny holiday and my sunny wedding...I mean abroad you just expect the dry days....we were marrying in what was the wedding companies most popular week of the whole season....
    There didnt seem to be much of an alternative if the weather was to be poor.....it was a case of suck it and see we were told....maybe the wedidng time could change on the day.....but as for undercover venues...there would have only really been one alternative and it just wasnt what we wanted or what we had booked....18 months in the planning and for it all to change at the click of a finger....so hard to stomach....

Our guests were still so upbeat for us.....every man and his dog were saying prayers for us.....but deepdown I think everyone expected the following day to rain....to pour....as it had for the previous 2 days....I had kind of resided myself that we definitley wouldnt have sunshine so I myself was praying for a dry cloudy day.....its funny how you lower your expectations...haha!!!

Monday 30th my partner and myself spent the night apart.....leaving each other sick to the stomach for the following day....knowing we wouldnt get our sunset photos that we so desperatey wanted....to say I didnt sleep a wink was an understatement...never felt so knotted up in all my life......

Tuesday 31st May arrived and at 6am I looked out of my balcony curtains....the sky was blue..thought I was imagining it so I ran back to bed and closed my eyes......
    2 hours later I moved myself again......the sky was still blue....I managed to eat some breakfast despite my stomach turning like a tumble dryer....we sat outside and there were paragliders in the sky for the first time in 3 days....this was a good sign in Olu Deniz....the paragliders are not sent up if there is a chance of thunder/bad rain....
    I still couldnt settle myself as it was so early in the day and with our wedding being 5pm I just had this awful feeling that the rain would arrive later in the day.....

HOWEVER.....THE DAY TICKED ON....my hair and make up were done.....my dress was on....my dad was with me in my hotel room with a glass if champagne.....it was 4pm...I was being collected at 4.30pm and the sky was BLUE.......I swear I have never ever felt happier about a days weather......there was not a chance in hell that I was going to complain about being too hot in my dress....I was going to embrace feeling warm....it was the best feeling in the world.....

I travelled to the lagoon with my dad....collecting my bouquet on the way.....complete replica of what I had asked for.....we arrived at the lagoon...the sunshine on the water....everything I had seen on the photographs of previous weddings and my whole reason for choosing this venue....it was absolutely beautiful......
    I walked down the red carpet with my dad to Elbow's "one day like this" and the words "its looking like a beautiful day" were so so apt!!!!
    I looked up to the sky and I said mouthed "Thank You".....I'm not sure who I was particulalrly thanking....but the one person I will always say brought the sunshine for me was my uncle Michael who had died in January of this year quite suddenly...he was of course invited to our wedding and the last words he ahd said to me were "I will be there for you" and in my heart of hearts I knew he wouldnt as he was terrified at the thought of flying.......but somehow through the heartbreak of losing him it did really feel like he was there on the day....he had shifted those rain clouds up there with his bare hands for me and a lot of my guests were convinced of the same thing........

We had the most fantastic wedding day....the day was so so fast especially with a 5pm ceremony....we got our sunset photographs....and we had our reception up overlooking Oludeniz with fantastic views....our guests watched the sunset from the reception area whilst we were having professional photographs taken.....

I would just like to say that if anyone is contemplating getting married abroad that I couldnt recommend it highly enough....the bad weather was so out of the ordinary...even the locals did not know where it was coming from but the sun shone when it mattered and everyone appreciated why we had chosen what we had......it was the most satisying day I have ever ever had....my husband Andrew looked the most handsome I had ever seen him....my best friend in the world and my husband....and we celebrated our day with 35 fantastic people....I hope that they all remember our wedding day and their whole holiday in Olu Deniz for as long as we will......We'd got engaged in Olu Deniz in 2009 (not a drop of rain) haha.....and now to have got married there.......
    A special place that will now forever be in our hearts.......................:)

SnugglesGirl, Jul 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. SnugglesGirl

poppleminster

So lovely. The rain just made it more memorable and the fact that it stopped in time is just awesome. Congratulations! Xxxx

poppleminster, Jul 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. SnugglesGirl

Becky

Congratulations! Despite the rain in sounds like you had a fantastic day - and as poppleminster says it was more memorable as a result! Can't wait to see some pictures! :)

Becky, Jul 2, 2011
  4. SnugglesGirl

Helen

Fabulous! Sounds like you had an amazing time. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos :)

Helen, Jul 2, 2011
  5. SnugglesGirl

lauriex

what a lovely story - that really cheered me up! It sounds like you had an amazing day, I was so glad when I read that the rain cleared off! :)

lauriex, Jul 2, 2011
  6. SnugglesGirl

MrsBrown

Congratulations to you both. Sounds like you have a lovely day in the end. I can't wait to see your sunset pictures they sound amazing.

MrsBrown, Jul 3, 2011
  7. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Thank you for all the lovely comments....

Here goes...my attempt to put on a selection of our photographs.....Hope you like them as much as we so :)

Attached Files:

SnugglesGirl, Jul 3, 2011
  8. SnugglesGirl

Zoe

Amazing photos. So glad the weather came through for you in the end. Love the sun set pics.

Zoe, Jul 3, 2011
  9. SnugglesGirl

MrsBrown

Wow!!! Your sunset photos are gorgeous!!

Did you take your cake with you?

MrsBrown, Jul 3, 2011
  10. SnugglesGirl

SnugglesGirl

Thanks Girls.... We had our hearts set on the sunset piccies... Thats why the weather was really throwing a spanner in the works!!! Nope our cake was made over there all courtesy of the wedding company.. I took photographs over of the cake and flowers i wanted and they made them just how i wanted!!! Xx

SnugglesGirl, Jul 3, 2011
  11. SnugglesGirl

Frogbitch

I remember how stressed I was about a little drizzle on my wedding day. I'm so glad things went your way.
    Congratulations!

Frogbitch, Jul 3, 2011
  12. SnugglesGirl

MrsC2Be

Gorgeous pics, glad the weather turned out so lovely in the end for you :) I've been to Olu Deniz, it's gorgeous, what a fantastic place to have your wedding. Congratulations :D

MrsC2Be, Jul 4, 2011
  13. SnugglesGirl

Becky

Wow they look great! The sunset photos are gorgeous :D

The one of you both under the arch with the two bridesmaids made me laugh - it was the expression on the older girl's face!! :lol:

My favourite photo is of you both walking along the jetty looking back towards the camera - it looks really natural, and like you're off to face life's adventures together :)

Becky, Jul 4, 2011
  14. SnugglesGirl

poppleminster

WOW! Awesome colour match on the flowers with your shoes! I love all the pics, the beach looks perfect. What a gorgeous end to a rainstorm! xxx

poppleminster, Jul 4, 2011
  15. SnugglesGirl

Helen

What super photos! You must be so pleased with them they really are wonderful :)

Helen, Jul 5, 2011
  16. SnugglesGirl

MrsMay2011

Gorgeous pics! Glad the sun shone, the sunset pics are really lovely. We got married abroad as well and it rained, really unseasonably. We were supposed to get married in Central Park but had at activate 'Plan B' which luckily was a really lovely church. So glad it was all exactly how you wanted in the end :) x

MrsMay2011, Jul 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question