Nicole's Wedding Planning So Far...

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by MrsMay2011, Sep 30, 2010.

1. MrsMay2011

MrsMay2011

I’ve been inspired by some of the other planning threads, and with just over 9months to go until the Big Day, I thought it was time to show you some of my planning all in one place!

I’ll start with the proposal, I don’t think I’ve told that story on here yet.

Thel proposal came on Christmas day. I’d basically made the poor boy nip downstairs in the freezing cold about half an hour before we got up, to light the fire so it would be merrily blazing when we went downstairs. Once both downstairs I noticed he’d also taken the opportunity to light lots of candles as well, I thought ‘Ah, that’s nice’ and we got on with exchanging presents. After scrabbling around under the tree for rogue presents, I eventually notice he’s down on one knee in the middle of the room holding a ring out! I just burst into tears!! Later, as I’m telling people he didn’t actually say anything, he had to interrupt and point out that he actually did say ‘Will you marry me’ but I was too busy blubbing to notice, and that I didn’t bother saying yes either!

Here is the ring (chosen by him, exactly what I wanted) lucky me :)

Eng ring.jpg
    It didn’t take me long to get myself round to my gorgeous best friend Lady Clare’s house and ask her to be my BM. She’d got married that April and was made up to be able to get involved in more wedding planning!

We knew we wanted to get married abroad, my BM got married in Antibes and we both loved the relaxed, intimate atmosphere. Plus I knew if we got married here we wouldn’t be able to afford what I wanted, and would have to make too many compromises. I didn’t have any idea where abroad, though I knew I didn’t want an actual beach wedding, just somewhere picturesque. Lots of suggestions were flying about, like Cyprus, or Italy all of which I thought ‘yeah that sounds ok’ about and couldn’t really decide. Then one day – in the shower as it happens –it hit me. New York! As soon as I thought of it, I knew it couldn’t be anywhere else. Really I can’t believe I didn’t think of it sooner, I’ve been twice and LOVED it both times, and devour any books/programmes/films featuring the city. I was a bit worried that everyone would be (understandably) horrified at the expense, but we were touched at how willing, and excited people are to come. And we were giving nearly a year and a half notice, so people would have time to save. We were bargaining for about 20 guests, the typical bridal mantra of “our immediate family and a few close friends”. Well we ended up inviting 4 friends each, as H2B couldn’t only pick 1 or 2 out of a group of 4, and I wanted a similar amount so the guest list wasn’t lopsided. Once all their partners are taken into consideration the mathematical geniuses amongst you will have worked out that was already 18people, including us. With family we’ve ended up with a guest list of 30, which isn’t too bad at all.

So here’s the pavilion in Central Park where we’re getting married. The wedding is in May so all that blossom should be out. If it rains, the alternative venue is the Empire State Building (56[sup]th[/sup] floor I think?), although first choice is deffo the park.

Ladies Pvln1.JPG IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0229.jpg

MrsMay2011, Sep 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MrsMay2011

MrsMay2011

We’re having a meal afterwards at this restaurant- Jacks in Midtown. The first photo is the entrance, and the second photo is of the balcony where we’ll be seated, so we’ll have a semi private space for speeches etc and be able to decorate the table and general area too, hurray. The price per head includes a 3 hours free bar as well, which is great.

Jacks entrance.jpg Jacks balcony.jpg

So after booking that (via Ultimate USA Weddings) there was a bit of a lull in the planning….of about 4 months!!! Eventually, my BM and I were having lunch in ‘our’ café (Moose Coffee) and she finally snapped, said she’d been patient long enough and DEMANDED to go dress shopping. We booked some appointments and I have to say, I had no idea it was going to be such fun. I don’t know why – what’s NOT to like about trying on beautiful dresses that give you curves in all the right places and having friends and random strangers alike compliment you. (Although don’t get me wrong, there were a few shockers in there too. Short booby women do not suit long slinky column dresses meant for tall willowy ladies, no matter how much they may want to!). After the first day I secretly thought I’d picked the dress, and was mentally trying to adjust the budget to accommodate the extra £300 cost over budget of this particular dress. However, I had another appointment booked the following week so thought I’d wait until after that before making any decisions. Well needless to say this is where I found my actual dress. And I’m delighted to say, it was £200 under budget!! Sooo here it is, on the model, and the headless women there is me (not that I was expecting to get mistaken for the model lol)

W7632L_Ruth_F_D.jpg Raylia%20Bridal%207632-3.jpg

Headless me in dress.jpg

I’m getting the alterations done after xmas, when of course I’ll have lost those extra pounds and have the perfect figure I’ve always dreamed of, somehow not managed to achieve in the last 30 years, but am sure will manage in the next 3 months – as if!

Bit more of a lull, then a couple of months ago, a shopping trip with the bridesmaids. Yes I’ve acquired another, my lovely schoolfriend Jane. She has the benefit of being – albeit only slightly - more sensible than me & Lady and lets just say I’ll be putting her, not Clare in charge of stopping me from getting too drunk on the wedding day!

MrsMay2011, Sep 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MrsMay2011

MrsMay2011

Oh my goodness, I’ve really gone on haven’t I?? I hope I’m not boring you all to death!

This bit you’re familiar with. We found the PERFECT bridesmaid dress, in the PERFECT colour, in the SALE. But only the one! Cue BigDay.co.uk nationwide hunt for the same dress in a 14. A size 16 was eventually tracked down in Manchester, which we bought and will be altered to fit. Big sigh of relief! And a big thank you for all of you who looked in your local Coast stores for me

BM dress.jpg BM dress detail.jpg

Last bit, I promise – the venue for the party back home.

This had been a headache for months. The whole point of going abroad was so that we didn’t end up bankrupting ourselves, but we just could NOT find anywhere that was nice enough for a wedding party (I don’t mean fantastically posh, I mean just not minging!) but which charged a reasonable price for buffets, or would let us do our own catering. We briefly had the ideal venue, the community hall near my mums was reasonably nice, nice and big and already had a bar. But then we got a phone call saying that, given the economic climate, the Council was looking at selling off assets and Heswall Hall was on the list of possibilities. The woman, who was lovely, said she couldn’t in all conscience keep a booking for a wedding when there was even a small chance that it might all fall through. Bless her. But… back to square one.

Back to Moose Coffee, Lady Clare and I are off up there on a bank holiday Monday for our usual dose of gossip, and……it was closed.[​IMG] :D :huh: :) :eek: Well. How dare they! There was a notice saying that the other branch of Moose, in the local ferry terminal was open. Who knew there was another branch?? Anyway, off we went slightly disgruntled (I mean really, closed, how dare they!) and expecting something akin to a bus depot, it being in the ferry terminal. How surprised we we? The café was fabulous. Slightly quirky in a nautical, Titanic themed way. The photos don’t show how big the upstairs is – it goes all the way round in a circle, and there is also a roof terrace with views over the river of the Liverpool Skyline.

Moose downstairs.jpg Moose upstairs.jpg

I've put this one in just for fun as I think it looks cool! Moose phonebox.jpg

But…did they do functions? Yes! We arranged an appointment with the manager, who delivered the devastating news that it would be £17.50/head for the Buffet. :lol: We could have had it in the Hilton for less. We just couldn’t afford it, and they wouldn’t budge, not for reasoned negotiation, begging and finally pointing out how ridiculous it was for, essentially a transport café to be charging that much. But by this time I lurved it. All my wedding related daydreams were set in this venue. Eventually my dad took pity and asked me how much extra it would cost, looked slightly alarmed when I told him, and very kindly offered to pay much of that extra cost. But we were still short by about £250 – which doesn’t sound that much, but is if you simply don’t have it! So we returned and spoke to the woman again, who this time was more helpful, she still wouldn’t budge on the price per head, but did start talking about stretching the food so that we could under-cater substantially. We eventually decided that we would have a ‘posh’ BBQ. The staff would wear chefs whites, and slightly higher end types of food but it would mean that the food would go much further, so we could cater for fewer ‘heads’ and afford it! Hurray hurray hurray!

Well I think it’s time to stop now – may wrists are aching! I hope I haven’t over-estimated your boredom threshold for wedding talk

If you've stuck around & read all this, well done, and thank you :lol:

MrsMay2011, Sep 30, 2010
  4. MrsMay2011

Anon_SA

Hooray hooray hooray!! I want to go to this Moose place!!

What a lovely proposal and a beautiful ring!

Everything sounds so meant to be! Can't believe how jealous I am of you getting married in New York! I've never even been but it sounds magical!! Really exciting that you are having quite a substantial guest list too considering the circumstances! I don't know whether I'd be able to handle the stress of organising a wedding so many miles away! Are you having a honeymoon in New York afterwards?

Really looking forward to seeing how your venue is going to be decorated!

Anon_SA, Oct 1, 2010
  5. MrsMay2011

iPrincess26

You have so much sorted all ready and it all looks and sounds fab, what a lovely proposal! and I don't think i'll ever forget that bridemaid dress saga! glad you have it sorted now though, am getting all jealous at all the planning all of you ladies are getting to do - although if things keep going the way they are I may get to start planning again sooner than I thought!

Keep us posted and I certainly wasn't bored! :)

iPrincess26, Oct 1, 2010
  6. MrsMay2011

ilovepink1984

It all looks so lovely Nicole - didn't bore me one little bit. Totally jealous of you getting married in New York. Went there 9 years ago, 5 weeks after 9/11 and it was amazing and fell in love. You are so lucky! Lovely Coast dresses - was a pleasure to try and help you out on that one and I also love how unique your reception venue is. All so lovely and hats off for organizing a wedding that hundreds of miles away! Keep us posted about EVERYTHING!!!

Amy - do tell hun, sounds like you and your man are having a fab time?! xxx

ilovepink1984, Oct 1, 2010
  7. MrsMay2011

iPrincess26

Ah Pink it's going great, he is amazing, just so caring and considerate and lovely, I picked up my new car on wed and came straight through to his (and had supper with him and his dad as his mum was away) and then his dad was saying how he was going off to join his wife for their weekend away on Thursday - So I can round here last night after my meeting and I'm here till Sunday! Getting taken out for dinner tonight and then we are going to stay with friends tomorrow night and cooking dinner for them. He is already talking about us moving in together! and he started last night about how this weekend it will be 4 weeks since we first started chatting and 3 weeks since we met!

We have spent everyday since we started chatting online - texting all day and then FB chat all night! and have spent the last 3 weekends together! he is amazing.

Even all my friends and family are commenting on how I am back to being me and how happy I am these days, and I have lost 1st in the last month and it's still dropping on 2.5st to go till I get to my target weight!

Also he is so supportive and takes an interest in what I am doing and my life and the business! :)

iPrincess26, Oct 1, 2010
  8. MrsMay2011

ilovepink1984

Sounds really good hun I'm so happy for you. He sounds like a lovely man and is treating you like you deserve. Wish my man was more like that!! :) It's lovely that you get on so well and that he takes an interest in you as a whole - so many men aren't like that! My h2b was all soppy last night saying he realised that I don't get out very much anymore because of the children - not that I've complained! - and he's taking me out for dinner next week and arranged a babysitter and he wants a date night every month :D So unlike him! It's lovely tho as we plod along together sometimes, bogged down with the children and he works long hrs so its nice he wants to make an effort. Don't get me wrong, I love him to bits and I'm happy with life as it is but its so sweet he wants to keep things romantic. Perhaps its because the wedding has creeped up and is nearly here!

Also, BIG congrats on the weight loss. Well done you, thats fab and I bet it makes you feel fantastic. Keep up the good work and I think we allneed to know your secret!! xxx

9. MrsMay2011

Helen

Super a New York wedding! Love the park as a venue and omg your dress is stunning :) :D :D

Helen, Oct 1, 2010
  10. MrsMay2011

iPrincess26

Thanks hun, that's lovely that you h2b wants to do that and make sure that you get some romantic time just the 2 of you. As for the weight loss I feel amazing! andI think the secret was getting rid of the ex as he was just dragging me down - since the split I've just been moving onwards and upwards and the great thing about Tom is he wants to move up with me instead of resenting the direction I'm going in, which is how a relationship should be!

Enjoy your meal and regular date night, and I'll keep you all posted as to what's happening! Also I must feel amazing because to go out to dinner tonight I'm wearing an incredibly short denim skirt (size 14!!!!!) and then being a little naughty as I have my corset on, with a hoodie over the top so that at the moment only I know what's underneath and I have leggings on under the skirt and shall make it known over dinner that I have fish nets on under them!!!!!!
    Have to say a regular sex life does wonders for weight loss and self confidence!

Spk soon

MrsMay apologies for hijacking your topic! :)

:D:D

iPrincess26, Oct 1, 2010
  11. MrsMay2011

ilovepink1984

You go girl!! Can't wait to hear how this all goes! Have loads of fun xxx

Sorry Nicole. Please continue your planning!!

12. MrsMay2011

poppleminster

You're so organised. I try to be but have only done the thing sI enjoy doing, the boring / stressy stuff (i.e anything important) I have not touched on yet!

poppleminster, Oct 3, 2010
  13. MrsMay2011

MrsMay2011

Hi, our venue seems to have sorted itself out with a half decent website at last, so I thought I'd whack it on in case anyone wants to look at pics :(

http://www.homeedr.co.uk/gallery.html

MrsMay2011, Jan 8, 2011
  14. MrsMay2011

poppleminster

oooh looks lovely, relaxed and yet cla\ssy :(
    xxx

poppleminster, Jan 8, 2011
  15. MrsMay2011

Becky

Wow that looks gorgeous! :(

Becky, Jan 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements