Hymns For Church Weddings

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by vhc, May 1, 2010.

1. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

I did promise an update. A bit belated but better late than never!
    Well...doesn't time fly! Busy making invitations now, and churchy bits almost all sorted, as follows:

3 hymns: Lord of all Hopefulness, All things Bright and Beautiful and Lord of the Dance (all well known enough to get everyone warbling away)
    plus my choir singing 'I will follow him' as we sign the register!

We have 3 readings too: 1 from my 11 year old niece, 1 from the best man's wife (who persuaded my other half to get his bottom into gear on the dating front), and one from my old friend from Uni (who's coming all the way over from the US).

It will be brill and I'm dead excited!

Hope everyone else is enjoying the run up to their big days too!

ExcitedMrsH2b, Apr 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. vhc

Becky Administrator

Ooh that sounds great! I agree - those hymns will definitely get everyone singing :)

Becky, Apr 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. vhc

ElmoGrace

I love All Things Bright and Beautiful - its the happiest song alive!!!

ElmoGrace, Apr 13, 2011
  4. vhc

poppleminster

I love Lord of All Hopefulness and I Will Follow him will go down really well :)

poppleminster, Apr 15, 2011
  5. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

We have now changed one of our hymns for the service from Lord of the Dance to Jerusalem (inspired by the royal wedding!)
    My choir have also agreed to do Oh Happy Day as we leave :) !
    I heard them after just one rehearsal last week and I was blown away. It will be so lovely!
    Thanks for all your comments, advice and ideas! x

ExcitedMrsH2b, May 26, 2011
  6. vhc

Helen

That sounds great! It is lovely to have a choir. How is the rest of your planning going? :)

Helen, May 26, 2011
  7. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

Hi folks. Here we are, 2 sleeps before my big day and am all planned out and rather excited now!
    Have got over worries about weather (that was last week), dress (that was a month ago). Have rehearsal at church tonight....eeeee! Gonna be sooooooo excited I can't wait!
    Not been sleeping too well of late, but am trying not to stress. I know I can be a bit of a stress bunny, but its all done now, so there is no need.
    I have my good friend coming over from the US today, and we are meeting her and her hubby at the airport this morning.
    Then we are collecting my dress! (*girly squeals* and I am usually no girly!)
    Venue setup tomorrow afternoon, then Pedicure and gel nails and then the big day!! Will post after!
    Thanks for all advice everyone!

ExcitedMrsH2b, Aug 3, 2011
  8. vhc

MrsBrown

2 days.. yippppeee!!! Hope ypu have a lovely day (and few days run up to the big day!) cant wait for wedding report.

MrsBrown, Aug 3, 2011
  9. vhc

Becky Administrator

YAY! :) Just think - on the day, you can relax and enjoy the whole experience. No stress - just bliss. Try to have some chill out time to yourself beforehand, it'll really help.

Hope you have an amazing day! xxx

Becky, Aug 3, 2011
  10. vhc

poppleminster

Oooh 2 days to go! YAY :angry:

poppleminster, Aug 3, 2011
  11. vhc

MrsGroves2B

I forgot that I wrote on this thread when I first came on here years ago!

I'm still in the same church choir and I'm beginning to get pushed into solo soprano parts! Our young fantastic soprano voice (mid 30's) has moved away from the area so has left us, and our other fantastic soprano is mid 70's and feels that she hasn't got the voice anymore to do solo all the time. I tried solo once and was a wreck! People didn't seem to notice the nerves though, which was good, but I haven't got the volume and that's the biggest trouble! I'm told its confidence, but I just don't think I have the volume!

Our hymn choices so far (although, admittedly I have one of the avoid at all costs in there, but its a recent choice) are:

Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. (My most favourite hymn).
    Love Divine.
    Jerusalem (Chris' most favourite hymn).
    Lord of the Dance (I love it!)

I know technically its three at most but maybe we can talk our choir friends to throw one in for us!

Other possibilities are:
    To God be the Glory.
    Thine be the Glory.

I do like Make Me a Channel of your Peace.
    Chris has said The Old Rugged Cross, but I think he was just taking the mickey! Hehe!

There's so many wonderful hymns out there that are different to what everyone seems to have. If we have a wedding we say is it All Things Bright and Beautiful and/or Morning Has Broken?! Don't get me wrong I love them, but when you hear them all the time they get a bit repetitive!

MrsGroves2B, Jul 30, 2012
  12. vhc

Helen

I don't see a problem with squeezing another one in, I like a bit of singing at a wedding ;)

I think the main reason some hymns get chosen over and over again is that (massive sweeping statement coming up!) generally a lot of people who get married in church aren't regular church goers and therefore they are relying on remembering what they sung at school. Seems to be what I have observed anyway.

I've been to four funerals this week and we had All Things Bright and Beautiful at all four. At least everyone knew the words!

I'm not a religious person, I don't believe in the Christian faith either for that matter, but I am happy to join in with any religion for weddings etc. I like lots of hymns too, Lord and Father of Mankind is a great one, my favourite from the ones you have listed.

Helen, Jul 31, 2012
  13. vhc

Becky Administrator

Four funerals in a week? Doesn't sound good :(

Becky, Jul 31, 2012
  14. vhc

Helen

It wasn't too bad, they were all older people who had had full and lovely lives, so sad but not really sad if that makes sense? Plus three of them had been suffering long illnesses so more of a relief for them.

Helen, Jul 31, 2012
  15. vhc

Becky Administrator

Yeah I know what you mean. Nice to know that they are not suffering anymore... hope you're ok though xxx

Becky, Jul 31, 2012
  16. vhc

MrsBrown

My dad always says he wants all things bright and beautiful at his funeral because people will sing and know the words. Nothing worse than no one singing he reckons.

My friend had shine Jesus shine at her wedding that went down well.

MrsBrown, Aug 1, 2012
  17. vhc

MrsGroves2B

I like Shine Jesus Shine!

Be Still for the Presence of the Lord is another great one for both occasions.

MrsGroves2B, Aug 1, 2012
  18. vhc

MrsBrown

I can't remember what else she had which is rubbish as I made her order of service!!!

MrsBrown, Aug 1, 2012
  19. vhc

MrsGroves2B

Sorry to hear about four funerals to attend in one week. Hope everyone is ok.

I love loads of hymns, I love the school classics and agree people have hymns people will know. Morning Has Broken is a hymn our lay preacher recommends for funerals as she says for the person who has died morning has broken for them.

A lot of wedding songs can be suitable for funerals, and vice versa. I love Abide With Me, but wouldn't have it for a wedding. I went to a funeral where they had The Old Rugged Cross. Its very popular but I never knew the words, and only knew part of the tune. I partly followed my Dad, but thought I'd watch the Vicar to help me. The Vicar had a coughing fit in the hymn, so I was stuck again! Hehe!

One hymn that sounded nice was the tune of Morning Has Broken, but the words were from Come to a Wedding. It was lovely and made a lovely change. We'd never done that combination before so it was really nice to do.

Enjoy the hymns- there's loads of great ones out there! I love them!

xx

MrsGroves2B, Aug 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question