Hymns For Church Weddings

Discussion in 'Venue, Ceremony and Reception' started by vhc, May 1, 2010.

1. vhc

I'mAJones

[font="'Trebuchet MS"]We had two hymns during our ceremony purely because the vast majority of our guests don't attend church and therefore would be less likely to sing. It worked out quite well as it shortened the service, we were running 1/2 hour behind! Mrs Groves2b is going to be so impressed as we had "I[/font][font="'Trebuchet MS"]mmortal, Invisible, God Only Wise" and "Make me a Channel of your Peace". We were quite surprised how many people sang them, they're better known that people think. As was said earlier in the thread we were advised to have "All things Bright and Beautiful" etc by our vicar so as to encourage people to sing but they did anyway so it was definitely worth the risk [/font][​IMG]

I'mAJones, Sep 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. vhc

vhc

I'm soooo very glad you didn't listen to your vicar!

your hymns are lovely - my friend sang Make me a channel of your peace as a solo while we were signing the register. absolutely beautiful. :)

vhc, Sep 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. vhc

BunnyMonkey

vhc - I get that you are in a church choir and that you go to a lot of weddings, but please don't be mean about people's choices of hymns. Some people might have their heart set on something which you have decided that will "make the organist die a little inside". I think that's a little bit rude. Those hymns are chosen by a lot of people because they are popular and they can more or less guarantee that there won't be an awkward moment where nobody can sing along with the hymns.

I am in a church choir too but I wouldn't dream of imposing my opinions on hymns on other people.

BunnyMonkey, Sep 8, 2010
  4. vhc

vhc

aw, Bunny, please don't be offended by my comments! they really are meant light-heartedly!

and if you are in a church choir, then you must surely see where i'm coming from!
    most people choose the hymns that they choose not because they think noone will know or sing along with any other hymns, but because they feel they are put on the spot and are forced to choose hymns without being given any time to think about it.

and I have heard many tales where the vicar or wedding clerk has just said "have such-and-such because people will sing"

i know that's not true - i've been to weddings as a guest as well as a chorister, and people sing if other people are singing - regardless of whether they know the hymn.

and,actually, a lot of people know a lot more hymns than they think they do.

vhc, Sep 8, 2010
  5. vhc

vhc

and I know the organist does die a little inside - that bit is true.

when my DH gets the list of wedding requests from the wedding clerk, I have seen the look of disappointment on his face when it's the same old songs.

and he is one of those people who looks on the bright side of everything.

vhc, Sep 8, 2010
  6. vhc

ilovepink1984

Help needed please!

I love hymns and think they sound lovely but we're not regular church goers. We met with our Vicar last night and he's given us free reign over our hymns and we have no idea what to choose or what's appropriate for a wedding!! We are having 3 hymns so this is a mammoth task and we get married in 4 weeks and need to print the Order of Service!

Could someone help with wedding appropriate hymns? Def don't want All Things Bright and Beauiful - can't stand it and it reminds me of my Grandads funeral! Don't like Amazing Grace either!
    We are definately having Guide Me Thou, O Great Redeemer as this is h2bs favourite hymn of all tim - he's always singing it around the house!!
    I love Jerusalem - but is this wedding appropriate. Makes my spine tingle when I hear this.
    Other than that I'm stuck. Quite like Praise my soul, the King of Heaven and Immortal, Invisible, God only wise too. Any suggestions?

ilovepink1984, Sep 24, 2010
  7. vhc

vhc

I know you've already answered this (cos I've already commented on your choices in your planning thread !!) but I wanted to post because I didn't want to look like I was ignoring you (and sorry I look like I was, but I've been busy this week/fortnight/month with tax returns! (still haven't finished! :D )

I love the choices you went for - Tell Out My Soul is an amazing hymn, and Jerusalem and Guideme o Thou Great Redeemer never fail to get everyone singing - they're all roof-raising hymns.

They'll be great :)

(but if you'd gone for Praise My Soul or Immortal invisible, I'd have loved those too! - you have very good taste (esp with the ones you don't like :lol: )

vhc, Sep 30, 2010
  8. vhc

ilovepink1984

Thank you! Glad you approve. I replied on my thread as well. Was slightly stressed over it but its all done finally!

ilovepink1984, Sep 30, 2010
  9. vhc

MrsBoucher2B2012

i went to a wedding on saturday. The bride looked amazing. it was a church service but it was very short, the hymns i knew from school, sing hosanna and bread of heaven(she is a big rugby fan).

MrsBoucher2B2012, Oct 13, 2010
  10. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

Hi folks,

Just saying hi as I stumbled across this site yesterday. You all sound lovely!

I'm very lucky - I sang in an am dram/musical society for a bit, and with an informal choir for a term, and lucky for me, all my mates have agreed to come and sing for us in our church ceremony!

They are definitely going to sing 'I will follow him' (from Sister Act) [​IMG], but I am not sure at which point in the service yet. We've yet to have our pre-wedding preparations with the Vicar, but I think the order of the service and the options will be discussed at that point. I would like to have ideas to talk to the Vicar about prior to our meeting though. How many hymns do you need in a service? Do you think we need to choose other hymns too?

Would appreciate your ideas and experiences. Thanks!

ExcitedMrsH2b, Dec 8, 2010
  11. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

Hi folks,

Just saying hi as I stumbled across this site yesterday. You all sound lovely!

I'm very lucky - I sang in an am dram/musical society for a bit, and with an informal choir for a term, and lucky for me, all my mates have agreed to come and sing for us in our church ceremony!

They are definitely going to sing 'I will follow him' (from Sister Act) [​IMG], but I am not sure at which point in the service yet. We've yet to have our pre-wedding preparations with the Vicar, but I think the order of the service and the options will be discussed at that point. I would like to have ideas to talk to the Vicar about prior to our meeting though. How many hymns do you need in a service? Do you think we need to choose other hymns too?

Would appreciate your ideas and experiences. Thanks!

ExcitedMrsH2b, Dec 8, 2010
  12. vhc

Helen

The last church wedding I went to had 2 hymns that everyone sang and one that they had a friend sing. I think you can have as many or as few as you want to but I'm not sure about that.

Helen, Dec 9, 2010
  13. vhc

Helen

Ps welcome to the site! :)

Helen, Dec 9, 2010
  14. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

Thanks Helen. Will let you all know after our talk with the vicar. :)

ExcitedMrsH2b, Dec 13, 2010
  15. vhc

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the site MrsH2b! :D

I agree with Helen - I think about 2/3 hymns is usual. Up to you really! I used to be in a girl's choir and we did the songs from Sister Act - it was great!

Becky, Dec 13, 2010
  16. vhc

poppleminster

Oooh i'm so excited for you, it'll sound fab. I think you can have as many as you like. You have the briday entrance music sometimes followed by a hymn, signing of the register can be cool with singing in the background and definetley get them to sing as you leave. Oh Happy Day would be fun :D

poppleminster, Dec 14, 2010
  17. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

It will be great...so many songs to choose from! Oh Happy Day is a lovely one. We did practise 'Hail Holy Queen' last year, which starts slow then gets jazzy, but you might be right about Oh Happy Day - I can just imagine having that as we leave. Really uplifting!

Really looking forward to our chat with the Vicar now! Cheers folks.

ExcitedMrsH2b, Dec 16, 2010
  18. vhc

poppleminster

Let us know how you get on. I'd love to have Oh Happy Day but sadly no room for a choir in our venue!

poppleminster, Dec 16, 2010
  19. vhc

ExcitedMrsH2b

Have date for chat with vicar! 27th Jan [​IMG]

Will update as soon as :)

ExcitedMrsH2b, Jan 19, 2011
  20. vhc

Becky Administrator

Yay! Looking forward to hearing all about it :)

Becky, Jan 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question