How Much Are Your Flowers Costing?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by ilovepink1984, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Hi ladies, me again looking for more advice!

I'm not a flower person really - I think they look pretty but have no idea on types etc!! Fell in love with David Austin roses and have had 2 quotes. The first was from a busy garden centre who we know do lovely arrangements as they made one fror my Grandads funeral and for my Grangmas 70th birthday. However, the girl wasn't particularly knowledgeable, couldn't really offer many suggestions and just gave us a quote for bouquet, 2 Bms, 1 flowergirl and buttonholes.

Then, we met with a lovely florist who unusually has worked with my church beofre (unusual as its a private school chapel!!) and my venue and was so enthusistic and easy to get along with. We had an hour and a half consultation with her which started with her drawing my dress to see which style of bouquet would be best! She made lots of suggestions for flowers, different arrangements, options etc and we plumped for David Austin roses.

[​IMG]

Received a quote from her today and made me feel slightly sick! :) Its really thorough and broken down into sections ie. Bridal Bouquet, buttonholes, table centres etc with descriptions of each thing. Everything is priced separately and we can go with as little or as much as we want. However, just for the basic things like bouquets, buttonholes its going to be £396. £125 for my bouquets and was quoted for almost the same £70 in the other place. And £47 for a flowergirl bouquet with 3 roses? Seems a bit much. At the consultation she said we would get a 10% discount so not sure if thats been taken off the prices. I was always going to have balloons as centrepieces as we saw these at our venue when it was set out for a wedding and they looked really lovely but since I've been fretting that they are tacky??!! The lady did us a bud vase with 2 roses in and bear grass and I fell in love with them. They would be £138 for all the tables including vases. What do you think? That brings it to £534 which could be £481 if we get some discount? Also we probably need some sort of arrangement in the chapel although it is very small and simple which is what I love about it. she has quoted £105 for a long and low table arrangement that can then be moved to the reception top table. That makes it £639 or £576 if discount?

This seems like such a lot for something that dies so quickly. What is everyone else paying/having if you don't mind me asking? I prefer real flowers rather than fake - no offence to anyone having these! Do you think I should go with the more expensive place as she was def better at her job, did stunning work etc and took so much time with us or go cheaper? She said to be honest with our budget so should I ask for cheaper alternatives - especially for Flowergirl? Should I scrap having flowers as centrepieces and stick with balloons? HELP!!

Sorry for such a long post! xxx

ilovepink1984, Jun 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. ilovepink1984

Mrswalton2be

To be honest thats about right for flowers id say. Go with your heart as you want to be happy with your flowers :)

Mrswalton2be, Jun 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. ilovepink1984

WelshBride

Have you thought about artifical flowers?

I had mine from here http://www.trulyweddings.co.uk/ (its the same people as sarahsflowers)The bridesmaids were £25 each and mine was £39. I also had buttonholes from there at £1.30 each:)

They are really lovely and they will do custom orders too

Heres a photo of mine and my bridesmaids
    [​IMG]

WelshBride, Jun 10, 2010
  4. ilovepink1984

WelshBride

ooops just read that you dont like artifical flowers lol! Never mind :)

WelshBride, Jun 10, 2010
  5. ilovepink1984

juliak

Oh, thanks for the site link welshbride. Hadn't really thought about flowers (I know, I'm leaving it late), but have now ordered some samples from there. Very reasonable price and no p&p, bargain!
    I did want black roses but was told they'd have to come in a certain amount and would cost an absolute bomb! :)

juliak, Jun 10, 2010
  6. ilovepink1984

Posie

Juliak was it black artificial roses you were wanting? Wasn't sure if thats what you were refering to. If so, black artificial roses are no more expensive than other colours and if you would like, we send out samples free of charge.

To the original poster, £500 for real flowers seems to be the average price that brides pay, David Austin roses are really pretty, for table centrepieces maybe you could use different flowers such as peonies, or standard roses. I don't think balloons as centrepieces would be tacky though.

Sarah

Posie, Jun 10, 2010
  7. ilovepink1984

juliak

Juliak was it black artificial roses you were wanting? Wasn't sure if thats what you were refering to. If so, black artificial roses are no more expensive than other colours and if you would like, we send out samples free of charge.

Originally I wanted real but to be honest I can't justify the money for them. I've therefore decided that if I can find quality artificial black roses then I would go for them. I know I will be able to put them to use after as we're decorating our bedroom in quite a black, gothic, boudoir theme so could maybe incorporate them into that.
    I would be really grateful for any samples! Should I click on your link above?
    Thank you.

juliak, Jun 10, 2010
  8. ilovepink1984

Posie

If you PM me your address or send an email to the email address on our website we shall send one out to you :)

Sarah

Posie, Jun 10, 2010
  9. ilovepink1984

Mrsg2b2011

Hi hun. Yes think thats about average cost for flowers these days!!! However as someone else said go with your gut instinct. I don't think balloons are tacky at all infact if they are done well they can look beautiful. If it looked stunning when set out for a wedding before, you have an idea of how it looked & if you really liked it then go for it, especially if you love it enough to save yourself some money.
    Would defo see if she can do a cheaper option for your flowergirl though that sounds extremley expensive! xxx

Mrsg2b2011, Jun 10, 2010
    ilovepink1984 likes this.
  10. ilovepink1984

Mrs T2B (Kel)

i love flowers, but like julia I can't justify spending so much on them. I did get some quotes and was looking at about £60 for my bouquet, £40 or the BMs, £3 for button holes and £9 for corsages

That was a basic combination of 'summery' flowers in vintage pinks, purples and blues .. some roses, freesias etc...

I've opt for total shabby chic and will be off to tesco asda and sainsburys the morning before the wedding armed with £50 to buy as many flowers as I can get .. a total higgly piggly range ... which I'm then casually chucking into teapots as centre pieces.

Just need to ensure I get some roses and freesias for buttonholes.
    I have my florist tape at the ready to make them :)

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 10, 2010
  11. ilovepink1984

juliak

Kel, I hadn't even thought of the supermarket route! I'm quite tempted to do the same, tie them in ribbon and done! Fantastic, thanks!

juliak, Jun 10, 2010
  12. ilovepink1984

Frogbitch

I was originally going to have David Austin roses in my bouquet, but decided against it in the end as they are so expensive per stem.
    If you love them, then go for it, but I discovered that having white avalanche roses instead of the DA ones I'd seen gave me much more for my money.

I'm spending £1600 on my flowers, though £300 of that is for travel as my florist is coming from London.
    I really didn't like my flowers the first time I got married, so I was determined to do it right this time.
    I can't wait to see the table centrepieces! I'm having tall glass vases containing clear gel and fairy lights. My venue is beautiful, but the room is a little dark, so they should look great.
    Here's of pic of roughly what my bouquet will look like.

Attached Files:

Frogbitch, Jun 10, 2010
  13. ilovepink1984

MrsBrown

i am still traumatised by the cost of my flowers!!

Our venue has strict suppliers, we got the choice of 2 florists! I swear i nearly fainted when the quote came!! and we are not allowed to do the flowers ourselves! (i did know this before we signed up by the way.. i just fell in love!!)

We have mangaed to get the cost down a little by not going with all the options (for example there are wooden beams and they can put Ivy on the beams at £25 a beam- there are 8 beams!) we said no!!

It makes me sad to think that I will only see them for 1 day, I will only hold my boquet for a short while too. We are going away the next day :) Mum is going to take some flowers to my grandparents graves.. i ave wondered if i can sneak them on a plane ha ha!!

MrsBrown, Jun 10, 2010
  14. ilovepink1984

MrsApplen2be

I count myself lucky as have a friend doing my flowers (shes not proffessional but pretty nifty and been doing it as a hobby since she was 8). Having gerberas as I too was not fussed on flowers and think they are funky and different. no idea how much their going to cost yet though going wholesalers but cant order them in till a few weeks before. have a table arrangement from the florist local to me and she has charged us £60 for a gerbera and rose arrangement. think thats reasonable myself x

MrsApplen2be, Jun 10, 2010
  15. ilovepink1984

poppleminster

Like Kel I am doing the teapot arrangements and we are lucky to have an awesome market stall here that sells 2 bunche of whatever he managed to get cheap from Covent Garden overnight for £1. As they are all in full bloom they are cheap as they need to be sold quickly - perfect to be grabbed the day before or on the morning and chucked into teapots and old gla bottles we are collecting from the recycling shop.

For my bouquet I am longing for the DA roses but will probably opt for just a plain huge bunch of freesias tied with ribbon. My daughter will have an artificial bouquet she can keep after and our tables are having centrepieces of enid bylton books, quirky wooden games and candles in little tealight holders from the range. I'm not putting flowers anywhere on tables as I figure the room will be stunning enough without as we have so many other props and decorations.

poppleminster, Jun 10, 2010
  16. ilovepink1984

ilovepink1984

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hope I haven't offended anyone by not wanting artificial flowers - they just aren't me and i LOVE the smell of fresh flowers - reminds me of my Grandma. Typical for me to not really know anything about flowers and then fall in love with really expensive ones!! I orginally wanted Ranuculus but this is out of season and not available and these look so similar. I think I'm going to go for just the basics ie. bouquets and buttonholes and save money by sticking with the balloons. Just can't afford it. I am going to ask her tho to bring the cost down for each thing tho if possible as she told me to be honest ie. use less stems of rose and combine with another seasonal flower that combines well? - especially for FG. DA roses are £7.50 a stem and shes quoted for 3 roses with eucalyptus and ribbon for £47? Doesn't add up!! I might scrap the flowers for her and get her something else to carry like a wand or a little basket as she'll only play with the flowers anyway and such a waste of money (shes my daughter btw and has a habit of not staying presentable for very long - almost 4 on the day!). I like Lisianthus if this is in season.

Frogbitch - your bouquet looks lovely. I think I would have died if my flowers cost £1600 but I can understand why you want them to look perfect this time around. If I had the money I would probably allocate quite a lot to flowers as they are so pretty.

Kel and poppleminster - I love your ideas to but would be far too stressed having to go and get flowers the day before. I KNOW I would just panic that everywhere would be sold out. You can probably tell, I get stressed/panicky quite a lot. Love coming on here for advice and chat to calm me down and get ideas! H2B nearly packed me off the the Drs after the cake incident - I was hyperventilating at one point! God knows how I am going to get through the wedding day. I am painfully shy and hate talking in front of people and being the centre of attention!! Love being able to chat on here.

ilovepink1984, Jun 11, 2010
  17. ilovepink1984

iPrincess26

Glad you've got the flowers sorted, think mine have come in at about £60 but I am having artificial ones (no offence taken) I would love real ones but we don't have the budget and I also have quite bad hayfever and the flowers that i'm having are soem of the ones that set me off the most so thought it was best not to have the real version, also get a fab vase as an engagement present and my bouquet will look fab sitting in it after the wedding so wanted something I can keep.

Might do the supermarket idea to make a throwing bouquet though. -- Still trying to work out the logistics of walking with stick, flowers and holding on to Dad or OH but i'll work something out LOL.

iPrincess26, Jun 11, 2010
  18. ilovepink1984

poppleminster

Pink the only way to offend us lot would be to tell us we're all wedding junkies with an addiction to bigday. Oh hang on, that's true, we are all wedding junkies with an addiction to bigday :angry:

poppleminster, Jun 11, 2010
  19. ilovepink1984

juliak

Poppleminsters right!!!
    No, seriously though, I certainly wouldn't be offended by other peoples tastes and preferences, I'd be worried if people did get offended by anything like that!!! It's the same with themes, there are some that really don't 'excite' me but i'm sure lots of people would say the same about mine!
    Whenever I watch four weddings I get really frustrated with some of the scoring, i.e. when brides mark down as it "wasn't their thing", grrrr.
    Gosh, surely it's too early for me to get on my soap box! :angry:

juliak, Jun 11, 2010
  20. ilovepink1984

Mrs T2B (Kel)

glad you're sorted 'pink :rolleyes:

I'm not offended at all! and I'm sure none of the other ladies on here are either .. everyone has their choices and preferences.. the best thing is that here you can have them without being told you're wrong/chap/nasty/outdated/whatever insult is fashionable. I love that fact :D ladies.. you make my wedding insanity bare able [​IMG]

Julia .. oh yes definitely I was in Asda today and they had gorgeous gorgeous bouquets of peonies lilys and some gysophalia (sp??!) all for £5, pkus massive bunches of multicoloured carnations for £4 ... I'm really looking forward to getting to the supermarkets with my mum on the Friday morning and seeing what exciting haphazard floristry I can create [​IMG]

My dad's girlfriend's mum (yeh confusing [​IMG]) has bought me 4 bricks of oasis to put in the bottom of the teapots, rather than filling them with water so they are easier to transport etc [​IMG]

Mrs T2B (Kel), Jun 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question