How Much Are You Spending On Food?

Discussion in 'Planning your Wedding' started by gozzle, May 19, 2010.

1. gozzle

gozzle

eeeek I need help ladies!

I'm looking in to my budget and I think I've underestimated how much food is going to cost [​IMG]

We're going to have a sit down meal for the main lot of guests (around 75 people) and then something lighter in the evening for another 40 people on top.

How much should I be looking to budget per person as a rough guess?

gozzle, May 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. gozzle

ilovepink1984

Are you doing the food yourselves ie outside caterers or are your venue providing it? If a venue, most seem to have packages which include all food (meal and buffet) and drinks.

We have a package for 50 day guests and 20 evening guests that works out cheaper than our venues normal price per person - this includes food, buffet, drinks package, cake stand, linen, placecards and menus and toastmaster and bridal suite. If we want to add extra guests its £55 pp for the day and £11.95 for evening guests. Its £12.95 for children all day. The venues usual prices start from £45 and upto £65 so our extras are in the mid range. The 50 day guests are all adults and we should have 8 children attendin so as we are having around 60 people to the day, 8 of the extra 10 are at the child's price, so saves us quite a bit!

If you take per person as £55 (our price) x 75 people thats £4125. But venues prices tend to be expensive so if you are having caterers and providing your own alcohol then it should work out cheaper than this. Hope this helps xxx

ilovepink1984, May 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. gozzle

MrsBrown

Too much ha ha!!! its so expensive!! We have opted for the cheapest package, which is £68 a head, though this does include reception drinks and wine on tables. For the eve we just having bacon butties which work out at £8 a head (how it costs that much I dont know). the only prob is that we originally only intended to invite 80 guests and now have 92 ooppsss. Though 12 are children who get the food half price and dont have to pay drinks (about £25). I daren't add it all up!!!!

MrsBrown, May 19, 2010
  4. gozzle

MrsApplen2be

My wedding has changed from providing just an evening buffet....to having a small meal in the day of beef chilli or chicken in white wine sauce which was costing me £16 per head as my dad gave me £1,000 to have food this has since been changed due to an incompetent venue who now demand that I have the 3 course meal at £20 a head or go back to no food at all....very angry with it all but we have agreed to it so food is £20 a head for a 3 course meal and I have 85 day guests.

in the evening we are having the middle buffet which is £12 a head. The chepest buffet is £8.95 a head though. xx

MrsApplen2be, May 19, 2010
  5. gozzle

MrsBrown

I think it really does depend on your venue and what else you get in the package, i.e lots of places we looked at didnt charge for venue but had a set fee for meals/ or set numbers. It also depends on what you want too, my friend gets married next week and she is just having a buffett in the evening as she isnt getting married until 4.30pm and didnt want a sit down meal. I think the best bet would be to ask your venue as our estimates are going to be far and wide and we might end up either panicing you or under estimating!

MrsBrown, May 19, 2010
  6. gozzle

iPrincess26

We are having a BBQ late afternoon and then bacon butties in the evening around 45 day guests and another 20 ish for the evening and we are spending £1000 on the food in total, gona push for coffee to be included to go with the wedding cake as pudding, and no drinks are included in that either. We are providing a single serve bottle to each day guest for the toast as part of the favour (it meant we avoided a corkage charge) but other than that it will be a cash bar.

iPrincess26, May 27, 2010
  7. gozzle

MrsBoucher2B2012

One of the venues we looked at the food alone came to over £3000.
    The place we are looking at now is only just over £2200 that includes room hire, a three course wedding breakfast for 29 (we are having just the main family at the breakfast and everyone in the evening), corkage for about 15 bottles of wine for the breakfast, evening buffet for 85 and the DJ. We will be having a cash bar in the evening and we get a room for free and any guests that want to stay the night get a discount of about 25%.

MrsBoucher2B2012, May 28, 2010
  8. gozzle

juliak

We're having a wedding breakfast for 25 people in a local restaurant which h2b and I love. Luckily my mum has offered to pay and is aiming at £25 per head and wine on the table so only spending approx £700. We havn't actually spoken formally to the manager about cost as yet so hoping we can haggle down or maybe get the champagne toast for free. Wish me luck!

juliak, May 28, 2010
  9. gozzle

vhc

not sure if it's lucky, but my mum and dad are paying for all the food.
    mum won't talk to me about it - just keeps saying "don't you worry your head about it" everytime i ask her.

so either, it'll be horrid, crap, cheap food, or nice food.....

:(

vhc, May 28, 2010
  10. gozzle

juliak

When I say luckily it was because i'd already chosen the restaurant and I know the food is good. Definitely wouldn't have let her organise anything else though! Do you really not know what food you are having?

juliak, May 28, 2010
  11. gozzle

fizzymelon

wow I feel very lucky, Im paying a set price for wedding for 50 guests, and that includes venue hire, food, arrival drinks, wine on table and toasting drinks, and evening buffet for £1250. So ive just had to pay £180 for DJ, and the cost of registrar. I cant believe some of the prices these venues charge.

fizzymelon, May 28, 2010
  12. gozzle

juliak

That's a fantastic price! I think one of the ladies said on another thread about the fact the minute you mention the word "wedding" prices go sky high on everything!
    You're getting married 8 days before me fizzymelon!! [​IMG]

juliak, May 28, 2010
  13. gozzle

fizzymelon

ekkk not long is it, are you ready? For my hair and makeup I was trying to get some quotes and if I said I was going to a works party the price was a hell of a difference! [​IMG]decided to do my own hair and makeup.

fizzymelon, May 28, 2010
  14. gozzle

juliak

I know, we only decided and booked about 4 weeks ago, tho we have been together 13 and a half years and engaged for 9 of them. It seemed so simple - registry office, meal, evening and my dress, did not think about anything else at all!!!
    I thing we're pretty much on track with everything, I do keep having moments whereby I think that i'm overlooking some really important aspect of the day though!
    I'm going to do my own make-up too, although i'm thinking about talking to my hairdresser about drying and straightening my hair (it's quite short at the back with a longer, side fringe a bit like Frankie from the Saturdays!) before the wedding but it would have to be really early as we're getting married at 10.30 in the morning, why I thought that would be a good idea I don't know!
    Are you all sorted now?

juliak, May 28, 2010
  15. gozzle

Gemz2702

Ours is a package deal too. Its 45.00 a head for adults (includes 3 course meal and 4 glasses of wine) and 17.50 for a meal and squash for children. Evening food is going to be 7.00 for bacon and sausage rolls! It adds up so quickly!

Gemz2702, May 28, 2010
  16. gozzle

poshpolly

We managed to haggle with the venue. Orginally they wanted £58.20pp for the sit down meal, however my MIL 2B makes cakes so we wanted to use a 4 tier chocolate fudge cake as the dessert. The veune agreed and knocked it down to £50pp. We are having 60 people in the day and the drinks package came to something stupid like 3,000!!!! Tried to get corkage charge but it was 15 quid a bottle so not worth it really. In the evening the buffet for 100 ppl was £22.95 which was just to high. I kept haggling and now I have got the venue hire, bridal chamber, food/drinks for £6128 instead of £8000 which was the original price. So well chuffed x

poshpolly, May 29, 2010
  17. gozzle

poppleminster

I'm doing the food myself and as we are getting married late afternoon am just doing a high tea so a big cheese tower cake, doorstep bread wedges, pickles, homebaked hams, scones, an assortment of old fashioned english cakes and teabreads etc. I have however splashed out on an antique victorian silver and glass 5 tier cake stand and loads of themed props such as edwardian cake stands and wooden platters. The food budget is £500.

I am used to catering so can feed and wine 50 for £10 per head easily, all prepared in advance and ready to roll on the day. I love catering and it's saving a fortune keeping it simple but themed and yummy home made :D

poppleminster, Jun 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question