How Come I Can Organise A Wedding In Advance But Cannot Pack A Moving Box?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by poppleminster, Mar 31, 2011.

1. poppleminster

poppleminster

Does pregnancy make you disorganised? I move house on 26th April. I have to get my entire 4 bed house full of crap packed by then, When I say 'full of crap', I mean we hoarde books, clothes, toys and numerous craft things in quantities enough to keep several charity shops in business for at least a year. Not to mention my vast amount of wedding stuff and crazy quantities of furniture.

The other issue is that the house I am moving to is a lot smaller. 3 bed and no extra styorage room. I have to cull but there is not enough time to pack and ebay. I can't do a boot sale as Ben works 12 hour days over weekends and I don't drive.

Do I give it all away on freecycle / charity shops and regret never having made any money from it all? Do I attempt to ebay it as a house load of stuff for a boot sale to be collected?

I can organise my wedding years in advance but can't organise a house move to save my life! I'm exhausted. By the time I get back from the school runs I just sleep. It doesn't help that I have developed awful morning sickness that only goes when I eat mini cheddars. Seriously, this sounds odd but nothing else works and I should not be eating mini cheddars as I have gestational diabetes. UGH.

I bought some boxes on ebay to pack things into but haven't the energy to know where to start. I'll never get it done. I don't know what to do and I end up sleeping and thinking i'll deal with it when I wake up, by which time it's off to the bus stop to get a bus into the next school run.

I need to get rid of things but would rather make some cash from it all than give everything away as it's good quality stuff. Any ideas? Answers on a postcard please to:
    Poppleminster in a pickle, the really untidy-bulging-aty-the-seams house, Exeter.
    xxxxxxx

poppleminster, Mar 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. poppleminster

Sez

Oh no! nightmare.

Right i've moved about 7 times in the last 3 years so i have my method down to a t. if you dont know where to start then start with the easy things to pack.

Firstly books and dvd's... easy to pack and looks like you've done loads, helps to get you motivated to do the other things.
    Then move or orniments, wrap in plenty of news paper and box.... easy peezy.
    the tough one.. clothes. be ruthless, bin anything that you havent worn in the last 18 months... you havent worn it by then, you wont miss it... be strong. What your keeping or wont need until you move chuck into bin liner.

Do little steps and before you know it, you've gone most of it.

The only thing i have issues with is is the random odds and sods that dont really fit into a catergory!

Although i give you advise on moving and packing, i have never been pregnant, so i can only sympathise with how tired you are x

Sez, Mar 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. poppleminster

Becky

What a pickle! Sounds like the ideal solution would be ebay, but you would need a lot more time to do that. If you wanted to do a car boot sale, is there anyone else you could rope in to help you?

Re packing - you should set the kids to work!! :D

Hugs and mini cheddars from me xxx

Becky, Mar 31, 2011
  4. poppleminster

poppleminster

In the space of an hour I have eaten 5 bags of mini cheddars. When I stop, I feel sick almost instantly. This is the first day it's been like this. Rubbish for the weight but hilarious. I wonder if I can buy liquid mini cheddar taste drops? I have run out now. Time to faqce the sickness and deal with it I guess.

Sez -= thanks for the packing tips. Ben has over 1000 dvds and we have tonnes of books. I'll get started there I think. Tomorrow of course. I have to leave in 20 mins for the school run. Then the wedding stuff.

Clothes are a nightmare - I lose and put on weight so often that I have three different sizes. I have a huge pile of clothes I will fiot back into one day however, seeing as I am about to end up the size of a megamoose, they could all go. Gulp.. This is brave. Surely buying new stuff when I get thinner again will be fun? Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.

Tomorrow is book and dvd & computer games day. Saturday and Sunday are clothes days. It's a plan!

I'm thinking about getting everything I can't keep in one room and ebaying it all together as a house clearance? Not sure if ebay has such a catagory but there will be thousands of pounds of stuff. My new kitchen is tiny and I spent ages saving for all the nigella lawson posh cooking dishes and serving dishes etc. Someone must want them. Maybe if I listed it as a charity auction it would get more views too. I don't mind who benefits, just seems a waste to get rid of it all for nothing when I spent years collecting it all. I'm such a hoarder.

5. poppleminster

Mrsg2b2011

Aaah hun I am sorry I can't offer you any advise I am BAD when it comes to packing. Could you sell what you can on ebay now, just the bits that you really think will sell and earn you money and the stuff that you don't get time to do & won't earn you much take to a charity shop? I know this doesn't help with the time situation but you have to pack it anyway so you could package up to post once its sold or is that me being to optimistic? lol

Hope you get it sorted hun xxxx

Mrsg2b2011, Mar 31, 2011
  6. poppleminster

Helen

How about a 'garden' sale, drag everything you want to sell out and put signs up on the roadside over a weekend?

Helen, Mar 31, 2011
  7. poppleminster

poppleminster

Garden sale sounds like a plan. Just need a nice day :D

8. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Hope it all goes to plan.. just keep doing a bit each day and you will notice a difference. Sorry to hear about your morning sickness.. ginger is supposed to help (and perfect excuse to eat ginger buscuits all day yummy!)

Its amazing how much stuff we manage to gather. I used to live in 1 room at uni, then a tiny cottage and now our 4 bedroom house and its full!! If we do ever have a family, goodness knows where we would put them ha ha!! When we moved in together, we had 3 double beds between us so we now have 3 double beds!! There really is no reason apart from not wanting to get rid.. we also have an arm chair and a diing table in one room.. I fall over it everytime I go in and think we really should sort this out.. I have lived here a year and a half ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsBrown, Mar 31, 2011
  9. poppleminster

MrsC2Be

Simple answer: coz moving is rubbish and weddings are amazing :)

MrsC2Be, Mar 31, 2011
  10. poppleminster

muckypaws

Aw popple i feel for you we move next week and have found it horrid trying to pack ............ i ebayed quite a lot of stuff but also give books clothes, and bits of furniture to charity we have a local charity for the homeless and they came to pick the stuff up so it was less hassle for me bless them!

Afraid i can only offer sympathy for the sickness as my little baby is 24 ha ha but ginger tea worked a treat for me

The one shelf/room at a time worked for me as that seemed less daunting

good luck ...........if you wernt so far away id come and help :)

muckypaws, Apr 1, 2011
  11. poppleminster

poppleminster

Thanks muchly people :)Today is Book Day. I am so impressed, it looks like i've done loads. So far have packed the huge bookcase in the hall and the lounge smaller one. Only issue is, I have been ruthless so have a huge pile of books on the floor and no idea what to do with them. I think freecycle is the way forward. I know some are worth money but I just want them gone. I'm getting rid of my dictionary collection. Gulp. I am a nerd. I have antique dictionarys purely because I love the way language has changed over the centuries. Earliest from 1867 right up to today. Hard decision but I never, ever use them. It's novelty over practicality and I don't have room anymore for novelty. GULP. This is a big thing. Clearing out my craft stuff may have to come next. That will be even harder!

poppleminster, Apr 1, 2011
  12. poppleminster

muckypaws

It took three weeks and 1 naggy H2B for me to pack my craft and art stuff :) as i made a start on sorting the keeps and goes i would find something and go Ohhh ill just have a go with this distress ink and embossing powder on that mini canvas ...........got loads of lovely things made but no packing ha ha ha

well done on the books............. if your like me you feel a bit sad letting them go but once you do it you will feel better promise (plus you will have room for other sneaky buys ha ha)

muckypaws, Apr 1, 2011
  13. poppleminster

iPrincess26

Well done Popple - I really feel for you and am currently putting off the packing too! When we moved I had a room of stuff at my folks and a massive storage unit full! Now for a while am having to go back to 1 small room and no storage unit! A scary thought all round but don't want to get rid of everything as we will be getting our own place again in the not too distant future (fingers crossed) - so having to sort out, luckily don't have pregnancy to contend with as well but have a second op next week and working on the business! Can the packing fairy's just come and do it for both of us?!!!!

iPrincess26, Apr 1, 2011
  14. poppleminster

poppleminster

We need Mary Poppins!

I got the books done and not anything else. Just have to remember that tomorrow is dvd's and games. Also free listing day on ebay for some of the more expensive stuff.

poppleminster, Apr 1, 2011
  15. poppleminster

MrsBrown

Glad your making progress. Are you moving far?

MrsBrown, Apr 2, 2011
  16. poppleminster

poppleminster

We're moving to Okehampton, about 25 miles away. I'm so used the the city that it'll be an interesting change. Trying to get used to not having so many restaurants will be amusing for a start and no takeaway that delivers! Shocking. Positively neanderthal.

I have lived in both remote country and cities before so not going to be too bad. I'll just miss Exeter as it's a lovely city centre. My kids currently go to a tiny school in the very centre in an old Victorian building which only has 15 kids in each year. Their new school has three classes per year - big difference. I'll miss the village school in the centre of the city lots. I've loved being able to grab them from school and picnic by the cathedral, in the parks or afternoon munchies at one of the many food places. There isn just so much to do in Exeter and loads of it free.

Okehampton will be close to Ben's family and the kids will love that. There's a cool 60's diner which I suspect we;ll be visiting after schools for milkshakes - proper ones not the horrid new ones with bits of ground up choc bars in! As milkshakes should be - strawberry, banana or choc and made with ice-cream :)

I'm ebaying today. So much to do. Ben is working 12 hour days all next week so I will have plenty of time to clear the house of random things that we don't need on freecycle. It's hard as we both wanted to sell stuff but there really isn't time. I just want it all over with so I can get on with being pregnant and nesting without the stress.

poppleminster, Apr 2, 2011
  17. poppleminster

Becky

Mmmmmm banana milkshakes :lol: ... although I do have a softspot for Oreo ones!

It's a shame about the school change, but I'm sure they'll settle in quick, and like you say they'll love being close to Ben's family xxx

Becky, Apr 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question