How Are You Getting Your Dress Abroad?

Discussion in 'Weddings Abroad' started by B2BmrsGregory, May 2, 2010.

1. B2BmrsGregory

B2BmrsGregory

Hi all,

I would be very interested to hear how everyone is taking their dress abroad.
    I have an Alan Hannah dress and am wondering whether to take it on board the plane in a box
    or whether the dress might not fit in a box and just keep the dress on the hanger in its cover and
    hope they will let me hang the dress on the plane.

What are your thoughts to this dilema?

B2BmrsGregory, May 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. B2BmrsGregory

tinxfoowinkle

Who are you flying with??? If you go to the 'Empty Box Company' they do travel boxes suited to the airline you are flying with. We're flying with Thomas Cook, & their dimensions are ridiculous, but luckily my dress isn't a huge number so it will fit in the box. We get an extra 20kg on top of our luggage weight to take wedding attire in, but no way was I going to let my dress out of my site - hence the travel box. I also got 'The Empty Box Company' to do my new surname & wedding date inscribed on the inside of the lid. It makes it even more personal. They have a lot of different designs to choose from too. Mine cost £39.00 but I think it is worth it.

tinxfoowinkle, May 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. B2BmrsGregory

floatylight

If it's small enough to take onboard then I would do that. Sometimes companies will make special provisions for you, or at least they do with ski's, buggies and so on, so I assume they will do with a dress. I'm pretty sure you'll need to have it packed though, as hanging it on the plane would no doubt break some crazy rules.

It might be worth ringing the airline as lots of people probably have the same dilemma :D.

floatylight, May 2, 2010
  4. B2BmrsGregory

ButterflyRobin

I'm flying BA and they have told me that I can take it on board with me in a suit carrier! RESULT x

ButterflyRobin, May 2, 2010
  5. B2BmrsGregory

fall3n-ang3l

wow anouther person with a Alan Hannah dress,i think ive found about 3ppl who are having AH [​IMG] the lady in the shop told me to get a suitcase (what the airline will allow as a carry on) and they wil pack it for me,so iam going to try that,if it doesnt fit then it will have to go with the rest of the suitcases [​IMG]

sarah

fall3n-ang3l, May 2, 2010
  6. B2BmrsGregory

fall3n-ang3l

p.s i might phone the airline when it gets closer and see if they will let me carry it on

sarah

fall3n-ang3l, May 2, 2010
  7. B2BmrsGregory

fitnessfi

I'm getting my mum to drive over to France with mine....sorry no help really! x

fitnessfi, May 2, 2010
  8. B2BmrsGregory

pinkangel

I've bought a small suitcase for mine and will be taking it on board with me.
    We are flying with Thomson and they have said that they will not accept it if I take it in a dress carrier and will ot be bale to hang it for me. At least I know before hand.
    Have bought a suitcase that fits in with their hand luggage size requirements, so hopefully shouldn't have any problems.
    xxx

pinkangel, May 2, 2010
  9. B2BmrsGregory

B2BmrsGregory

Hi all,

many thanks for all your replies.
    I have a box from the box company but am worried my dress might not fit in the box.
    I'm flying BA, so might look into the suit carrier option and give BA a call to check this is ok.
    I guess you would have to fold the dress in the suit carrier for the flight and also for the security checks at the airport.

thanks again
    Claire x

B2BmrsGregory, May 2, 2010
  10. B2BmrsGregory

mrswaite2be

hi
    i have know idea what to do with my dress were flying with thomas cook and there hand luggage is tiny and my dress is quite big so i have no chance of getting it in a box seen some cheap travel boxes on ebay and don`t know wether to risk putting it in a bigger box plus my mil2b is taking my dress as were going for 2 weeks and were on our own for first week and everyone else fly`s out in second week don`t want hubby2b seeing the dress im going to be worrying all week while were there as i wont be able to relax until i see the dress when mil2b fly`s in with it, will be worrying that she forgets to bring it or it goes missing lol. xx

[​IMG]

mrswaite2be, May 3, 2010
  11. B2BmrsGregory

tinxfoowinkle

I wouldn't try getting away with a bigger box as hand luggage. They are supposed to be pretty strict with their dimensions. If you have booked the wedding package with Thomas Cook, you do get an extra 20kg luggage weight which is to be used for wedding attire, but you do have to ask for it. Perhaps you can put your dress in that instead? [​IMG]

tinxfoowinkle, May 3, 2010
  12. B2BmrsGregory

Rustysgirl

I have been worrying about this too as we fly out for New Jersey in less than three weeks. I was going to buy a proper wedding dress box to carry on board but its another expense we can do without so I'm going to carefully pack it inside a holdall or small suitcase that I can carry on. We have a month then after we arrive before the wedding date so hopefully the creases will have dropped out a bit by then anyway, if not I'm going to gently cool iron it (where theres no embellishment)

Rustysgirl, May 12, 2010
  13. B2BmrsGregory

Sarsaparilla

My dress isn't huge, it'll fit into my case no problem whatsoever :)

Sarsaparilla, Mar 18, 2012
  14. B2BmrsGregory

Helen

I took my dress in a separate box as hand luggage. I also managed to fit in everything I was wearing on the wedding day into the same box so I knew it would get there if we did! My shoes were the only thing I didn't put in, I put those in with my husbands suit in his hand luggage.

When we went through security (in the UK) a security lady was holding onto my box looking after it, really sweet of her!

We were lucky as we travelled with Air Canada and they let you take two items of cabin baggage per person and (I think) two items of hold luggage, so space and weight wasn't an issue. :)

Helen, Mar 18, 2012
  15. B2BmrsGregory

Becky Administrator

I thought you were getting married in Cheshire? Welcome back by the way ;)

Becky, Mar 18, 2012
  16. B2BmrsGregory

Scottish Mernymph

I'll be waiting until I arrive to go dress shopping, we have 90 days......tick tock eek lol

Scottish Mernymph, Oct 23, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question