"home Made" Christmas Presents

Discussion in 'Best Buys and Bargains' started by Mrs T2B (Kel), Dec 4, 2010.

1. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Mrs T2B (Kel)

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm going with this forum :)

I wondered if anyone made and gave presents at Christmas time, and if so, what do you make?
    This year is my first 'homemade' presents attempt .. I'm keeping it simple with the following...

Chilli Vodka -> I've made this, and good grief it has some kick! One bottle is for my cousin as a secret santa, another for my dad's g/f along with the choc truffles and the final one for my 'surrogate' little sister (my best friends sister) again with some truffles.

Chilli Chocolate truffles -> making these next weekend

Peppermint Creams -> love these, haven't made them since I was a kid

Muffin Mix -> lazy yes, different though :)

Anyone have any other good recipes, or ideas for home made presents ... I wanted to bring more meaning into the presents we gave, and thought going to the effort of making stuff for people, that's suited to them had more 'care' .. maybe I'm just wrong and am just stingy [​IMG][​IMG]

Mrs T2B (Kel), Dec 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Mrs T2B (Kel)

MrsC2Be

Make some fudge? That's really easy to do, I've done that before. Can probably dig a recipe out for yummy chocolate fudge from somewhere if you want it :)

MrsC2Be, Dec 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Mrs T2B (Kel)

MrsBrown

I love the idea of making my own christmas presents.... just not very good at it!! I once knitted my dad a yellow tie when I was 7 (and he still has it- I wasnt also very good a knitting as it is full of holes!!!)

Christmas presents have been easier this year as we have got family photos of the wedding in frames, the only time we will be able to do this (unless we have kids) so thought would make the most of it!!

MrsBrown, Dec 5, 2010
  4. Mrs T2B (Kel)

airy_fairy

Christmas themed;

christmas shaped shortbread in a christmas giftbox?

your own 'baileys' - whiskey, cream and sugar... yum :) http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/210/ - has variation flavours at the bottom too

chutney is good, goes well with christmas leftovers too :) here's one for cranberry chutney - nice an festive :) http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8028/apple-and-cranberry-chutney

roast chestnuts http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastchestnuts_68084 or any roasted nuts - cashews in sugar or chilli are YUM!!

for a family with children a box of gingerbread men with some sweets, icing etc. for them to decorate with

yummy any time of year themed;

brownie mix (like the muffin mix) - i love this because who begrudges using a couple of eggs to make yummy brownies?!

for a family with children a box of fairy buns with some edible glitter etc. for them to decorate with

ha, that should be plenty for you to be getting on with!!!

airy_fairy, Dec 5, 2010
  5. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Mrs T2B (Kel)

top ideas ladies! thanks :)
    I'm doing this for my Dad .. you can buy "Dad" frames where the letters form holes for the pics .. gonna have me and him, him and hubby and then him with his g/f & her daughter and me n hubby... though I might just get a nice photo frame and have the one pic, haven't decided yet :)

keep'em coming ladies ... I know some of you are very handicraft orientated! :)

Mrs T2B (Kel), Dec 5, 2010
  6. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Helen

I'm doing homemade mincemeat (which is v simple to make partic if you have cooking apple tree) for mince pies and cupcakes and christmas puddings this year.

I did wreaths one year which was good fun and used holly and other greenery from my garden. I'm doing a couple of these this year for grandparents and mils graves, note to self must order oasis!

:)

Helen, Dec 9, 2010
  7. Mrs T2B (Kel)

poppleminster

I make heart decorations out of thin wire threaded through coloured buttons, they look really effective.

Gingerbread is being made at the weekend for the kids teachers when they break up and I made a christmas cake and cranberry sauce for my in-laws-to-be last year and this year.

Home-made is much nicer than shop bought every time :)

poppleminster, Dec 9, 2010
  8. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Bambagirl

Some of the nicest presents are homemade. Especially biscuits. There are some fantastic recipes online for Jammy Dodgers and Custard Creams (the homemade ones are much nicer than the bought ones). Also home-made shortbread is one of the easiest (and cheapest) biscuits you can make.

Bamba xx

JAMMIE DODGERS

[​IMG]

Ingredients (biscuits)

4 oz unsalted butter, softened
    2 oz firmly packed brown sugar
    2 oz granulated/superfine sugar
    1 medium egg
    15oz plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    ½ fluid oz milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract (vanilla essence or vanilla flavouring would be OK though)

For the Filling
    1 oz seedless raspberry jam, or seedless strawberry jam. Any smooth, seedless red jam will be OK (redcurrant jelly, mixed fruit jam etc....)

Optional

Icing sugar to dust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preparation

1. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy, or with a wooden spoon if you have no mixer.
    2. Gradually add the sugars, beating well followed by the eggs.
    3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, then add to the butter mixture alternatively with the milk.
    4. Beat well then stir in the vanilla extract.
    5. Divide into four equal portions.
    6. Wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge to chill.
    7. Roll out the dough to about 3 millimetres thick on a lightly floured surface.
    8. Use a 2 inch cutter and place the biscuits onto greased baking trays.
    9. Cut out a heart shape on half the biscuits or alternately use an apple corer. Star shaped hole also looks good!
    10. Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 350º F/ 180 º C / Gas mark 4 or until lightly browned.
    11. Move to wire racks to cool.
    12. Sandwich the biscuits together with the jam in the middle and the cut out biscuit on top.
    13. A light dusting of icing sugar afterwards adds a good finishing touch.

[​IMG]

Bambagirl, Dec 11, 2010
  9. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Becky

Those sound gorgeous, I would never have thought of making them myself! :)

Becky, Dec 12, 2010
  10. Mrs T2B (Kel)

poppleminster

Am now dribbling on the keyboard in a very unnattractive 'I need those cookies' type manner :D

poppleminster, Dec 14, 2010
  11. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Mrs Moggie

Mmmmm, I may have to have a go at those jammy dodgers. They look amazing!

Last year I made chocolate biscuits and cookies for people. They went down very well so I'm thinking of doing the same again this year. I also recently learnt to make blueberry muffins, so I'm thinking of exchanging the blueberries for raspberries and white chocolate, or maybe cranberries, in a sort of red and white Christmas theme.
    I also knitted a scarf for my mum last year and she loved it.
    This year I'm knitting a scarf for my dad and a pair of gloves, mainly as a joke because when I was little I tried to make him a pair of gloves, which ended up as one glove with 6 fingers.

Making baubles with childrens names on is also a good present for first a first Christmas. We still have one my nan made for my brother 34 years ago!

Mrs Moggie, Dec 16, 2010
  12. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Mrs Moggie

Oooooh, I've just checked my cupboards and all I need to get for the jammy dodgers is the brown sugar! I think a trip to the shops is in order :)

Mrs Moggie, Dec 16, 2010
  13. Mrs T2B (Kel)

poppleminster

We expect pictures and a sample please :)

poppleminster, Dec 16, 2010
  14. Mrs T2B (Kel)

Mrs Moggie

I've made the cranberry and white chocolate muffins. Pictures I can do, samples may get "lost" in the post! haha :)
    They actually turned out tastier than the blueberry ones, which were pretty damn tasty!
    I found a recipe for chocolate truffles that I'm going to try next week too. They're more a present for me though. I lurve truffles :)

Mrs Moggie, Dec 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question