Hi Everyone I'm A New - Only Just Got Engaged - Excited!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sophieelizabeth, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

HI everyone
    My name is Sophie, my partner Terry of 2.5 years asked me to marry him two saturdays ago (15th Oct)!

Very romantic story. He took me to my favourite restaurant, and then after our main courses were done a bottle of champagne appeared on our table. i instantly thought there had been a mistake, but when he said "no its for us" my heart began to flutter.

The waitress brought us our champagne flutes and in the bottom of my glass was my diamond ring. He then said that he loved me and my son Charlie and he wanted to marry me and be with us forever.

making me choke thinking of it now!! anyway, of course I said yes through the tears to an applause by everyone in the restaurant. A huge bouquet of cream roses appeared.

I was soo happy, after drinking the champage and getting home my family had been into the house whilst we were out and covered the kitchen in baloons and bunting and another bottle of champagne waited for us.

Is was the best day ever!

So now I have an excuse to look/think/talk weddings and I can't wait
    I've already been looking at dresses online!

So any tips or ideas that anyone has will be gratefully received.

Hi to everyone and looking forward to the wedding gossip!

Sophie x

Attached Files:

sophieelizabeth, Oct 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. sophieelizabeth

Becky

Hi Sophie, welcome to BigDay! :)

Congratulations on your engagement - that is such a lovely story!! Sounds like your H2B went to a lot of trouble, what a sweety ;)

Your ring is really pretty - are the diamonds in the shape of a leaf?

You'll find lots of friendly help and advice here, so you've come to the right place! The best place to start is to set a budget and scout out some venues. Once you've booked a venue and set a date, the rest flows from there. I have a friend who is getting married in North Wales next year - the place is called Plas Haford and it's in Mold.

Looking forward to hearing more about your planning!

Becky, Oct 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

Hi there!
    thanks for your reply - yes he is a fantastic fella - very considerate, and yes my ring is in the shape of a leaf

about a year and half ago I was walking past a ring shop with my mum and I pointed it out as being unusual and lovely in the window. Little did I know that on the quiet she had told my H2B and then he started paying for it monthly at the shop (how nice was that of them to do that!). I had no clue!

I couldn't believe when I saw it that it was the one I'd loved all that time ago!!

I have already considered a couple of venues, perhaps Portmeirion, Seiont Manor or Bodysgallen Hall all in North Wales

It will definately just be a very small and intitmate wedding, just very close family as this is the second marriage for both of us so we want something simple and chic! As for the budget, we'll have to start saving now. I'm a dab hand at cakes, so I think I may make my own, our friend is a florist etc etc

I'm also toying with the idea of a 50s inspired dress as I don't want to do the full length wedding gown being its my second marriage.

But at the moment its just a whole load of ideas in my head.

I know I just a want handful of our closest family for guests but plan of having a sumptious meal and lots of champagne!!

I haven't heard of Plas Haford but will Google it to have a look, Mold is a bit of a drive for us though - were near a place called Abersoch - perhaps you've heard of it.??

anyway, thanks for welcoming me and I look forward to chatting x

4. sophieelizabeth

Becky

Yes I've heard of Abersoch - funnily enough it's my wedding photographers favourite place to do photography!

Just because it's your second marriage doesn't mean you can't have whatever dress you want - although I do think a 50s style dress sounds fabulous, and it means you get to show off your shoes too!! Have you heard of Vivien of Holloway? She does amazing dresses in a vintage style. Check out this link:

Vivien of Holloway

Becky, Oct 27, 2011
  5. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

its funny how everybody has heard of Abersoch! :)

Yes definately about the shoes - and also I've got ok legs lol - which is one of the parts of me that is still in good nick :p

I've seen that website before, its devine!! I LOVE the 50's style as it suits my figure quite well.

The dress i was wearing when I got engaged was 50's inspired (you can't really see it from my profile pic)

will do a good bit of browsing on the site this weekend and have a proper look.

Found this dress today which is so cheap! just the right shape and style and has been reduced by nearly 700 pounds
    thought could wear some lovely coloured shoes, accessories to jazz up a bit and the model in the picture looks a bit like me (but five times smaller lol)

so far today its one of my faves xx
    http://www.weddingbr...2011-82397.html

6. sophieelizabeth

Becky

That style is lovely, I see why you like it! :)

One thing though - even though it looks like a bargain, I'd be wary of Chinese sellers. The dresses are replicas (they are not 'reduced', the £700 will likely be the cost of the original that they are copying) and I have come across a lot of horror stories!!

Becky, Oct 27, 2011
  7. sophieelizabeth

MrsBrown

Hi Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to hearing your plans!

I love that dress but agree with Becky about these deals... though if you like that style I am sure you will find something to suit your budget!

There was a bride who posted on here who had a similar style, vikingbride if you want to search! She looked stunning!!

Anyway, hope we can be of help in your plans. some of us have been married for a while and cant quite let go of this forum (or talking about weddings!!)

MrsBrown, Oct 27, 2011
  8. sophieelizabeth

iPrincess26

Hi welcome to the forum and congratulations on your engagement, what a sweet way for him to pop the question. Have you thought about a date yet? Love the idea of the 50's dress, I would love one but it doesn't go with the rest of our wedding - might have to see if we have room in our budget for a VoH treat for the honeymoon! :)

Anyway welcome again and the ladies on here are great for bouncing ideas off, answering questions and helping to search for things. X

iPrincess26, Oct 27, 2011
  9. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

morning!

thanks for the warm welcome everybody, and the wise advice about the dress, I didn't even look into whether it was made in china and with the UK URL I thought it was british made - lesson learnt - look at the small print

on the up side it could be a possiblity of having it in another shade for my dress for my sisters wedding (they haven't set on a date yet - but she says I can chose my bridesmaid dress as long as she can say which colour!)

so who knows, it may be a possibility for that!

thanks to everyone again

is anyone wearing pink in work today for the breast cancer campaign?? - I'm in pink from head to toe - even my nail varnish - but I think I'm going to get some funny looks when I go shopping later :blink:

sophieelizabeth, Oct 28, 2011
  10. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

11. sophieelizabeth

Frogbitch

Hi Sophie,

If you're looking for a 50's style drss, then you won't be able to get rid of me!!! (the pic you've posted above is gorgeous!)

Becky has mentioned Vivien of Holloway, but here are some other sites to look at for inspiration.

http://www.candyanthony.com/bridal.htm

http://honeypiebouti...ng-Dresses.html

and including the dress you originally posted.

http://www.dollycouture.com/

I also noticed you mention Seiont Manor as a possible location. It's owned by Handpicked Hotels, which also own the hotel I got married in, so I'd be happy to tell you about my experience with them if it helps.

Frogbitch, Oct 28, 2011
  12. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

thanks FB those sites are simply lovely!! loads of pictures to drool over later on when I get home from work!

any advice about the Hand Picked Hotels would be gratefully received. My brother had his wedding at Seiont Manor in July and I fell in love with the place! the staff seemed fanatastic and the food was lovely. Though I haven't managed to stay there yet, I did see my brothers bridal suite on the day and it looked amazing, and I'm also trying to win a night there in a competition, so fingers crossed I win it so I can see what its like!!!

did you have a 50s dress at your wedding? are your shoes the ones on your profile pic - if so they are stunning!

:eek:)

13. sophieelizabeth

Frogbitch

Have you entered the facebook photo competition? I won it last month!!!!!

(If you are, post a link here so we can all vote for you)

Frogbitch, Oct 28, 2011
  14. sophieelizabeth

Becky

Ooh that dress is gorgeous!! I love the bolero jacket too, it adds a slightly more modern edge to it.

FB - good work on finding the original dress! :)

Becky, Oct 28, 2011
  15. sophieelizabeth

Zoe

Hi Sophie. Congratulations on your engagement. I love the 1950's style wedding dresses you're looking at. :D

Zoe, Oct 28, 2011
  16. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

yes its the facebook competition ......what a coincidence!!!

I know your picture - its the one with the cat isn't isn't it!!!! your dress was really lovely and very unusual - which is the look I'm trying to go for - like my engagement ring - I like doing something a little different and individual.

you did so well with your votes!!! have you been for your night away yet?? did you have a lovely time?

I soo hope I win on Monday, like I said I reckon it will give me the opportunity to get a real feel for the place to see if i want it as a wedding venue, I don't think you can judge somewhere before staying there yourself can you.

I drove to the hotel and walked around the grounds to take the picture - how sad am I !!! and got my poor little boy to pose in the rain with a promise of a happy meal at the end of it - poor thing lol although he did seem to enjoy it!!

are you sure its ok to post the link - I don't want people to think I'm taking advantage, esepcially being new on here?

thanks FB

17. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

yes sorry FB forgot to say thank you for finding the original dress - I have soo many pictures to look over tonight thanks to you - might even have a glass of vino whilst I do it :wub:

18. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

thank you Zoe - I think I'm definately going to go for that style now

I used to live in Chester....did you get married there?

x

19. sophieelizabeth

Frogbitch

I don't think you need any help with the votes by the looks of it!!!

I was gobsmacked by how many votes we got, but Russ is quite well known in geek internet circles, and anything with a cat and a slogan is going to get lots of attention!

We're going back to Rhinefield House for our second anniversary next year. We went this year and had a great time.

Didn't you enter the comp last month too?

Frogbitch, Oct 28, 2011
  20. sophieelizabeth

sophieelizabeth

Hi FB

yes were doing well with the votes this month (so far so good!!) - but I have practically hounded my friends and their friends for votes, even my mum's friends, my partner's army friends and my cousin in Australia lol - I think they're are sick of the whole thing at the moment.

I'm just desperate to get a romantic night away lol It would be a lovely way to celebrating our engagement properly, just the two of us - I can't remember the last time we had a lovely night away together, and our little monkey gets us up at 6.30 every morning so those special lie ins are a bit difficult lol - and my lovely sister has already said she would babysit if we win - what a star!

Rhinefiled house looks amazing and you looked like you had lovely weather, Seiont Manor has lovely grounds too for wedding pictures to be taken although if we go ahead with Terry's birthday date it will be January so I guess i have to consider what sort of pics could be taken inside, unless I can order snow for the day - now that would be fantasic!!!

hopefully if I win I can explore the place properly and perhaps to talk to the wedding co-ordinator whilst were there!!

any votes would be great, but obviously I don't want to hassle anyone, I'm just grateful I have you all to chat to about wedding stuff - its lovely to be so indulgent in it all!! :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150314288571822&set=a.10150314287361822.334243.107361576821&type=1&theater

I'm really glad to have signed up to this website - thanks for making me so welcome!! xx

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question